Autonomous Systems

• Guest, it's time once again for the hotly contested and exciting FoH Asshat Tournament!

Go here and fill out your bracket!
    Who's been the biggest Asshat in the last year? Once again, only you can decide!

Would you ever own an autonomous vehicle?

• Hell yeah Bring on our robotic overlords!

• Fuck you! I'll keep my Indepenence

Results are only viewable after voting.

mkopec

<Gold Donor>
Why do you think this wouldn't happen? Eventually they will reach the point where they are (near) indistinguishable from human beings. 20K for a sex robot who cooks / cleans and has an ever growing list of fantasy scenarios she/he can play out with you every night. What you're describing is early adopter first usable design stuff. The day of the sex robot is coming. It might be 50 - 100 years away but no doubt it will be here some day. If you didn't see it I highly recommend watching Westworld.

I'm actually quite interested in how it will change our society. How does it change the relationship between the sexes. What will our customs and attitudes be like with respect to these robots. What does it mean for the future of our race.

Seems pretty clear to me, the slow death of all whites first, because lack of breeding (and we can afford them first), then the browns and blacks will move in and steal our sex bots from our dead bodies, and they will eventually die off too. Earth is reclamed by plants and animals.

Alien species visit in 500 yrs and see powered down well used sex bots everywhere.

• 1Worf
Reactions: 1 user

Skanda

I'm Amod too!
Yeah, once men no longer have to put up with women for a little hanky-panky the Human race ends.

• 1Solidarity
Reactions: 1 user

mkopec

<Gold Donor>
I wonder if the male models will be called Chad_1000, pull their hair and smack their asses?

Cad

<Bronze Donator>
Why do you think this wouldn't happen? Eventually they will reach the point where they are (near) indistinguishable from human beings. 20K for a sex robot who cooks / cleans and has an ever growing list of fantasy scenarios she/he can play out with you every night. What you're describing is early adopter first usable design stuff. The day of the sex robot is coming. It might be 50 - 100 years away but no doubt it will be here some day. If you didn't see it I highly recommend watching Westworld.

I'm actually quite interested in how it will change our society. How does it change the relationship between the sexes. What will our customs and attitudes be like with respect to these robots. What does it mean for the future of our race.

I mean, anything is *eventually* possible. But once we can make robots that can simulate humans to the point where the humans can't tell anymore, then humans themselves are probably entirely superfluous in industry and commercial ventures. Which means your entire life is one of leisure and luxury (or complete destitute poverty depending on the social system I guess.) That sex bots will exist at that point would be like factor 9785 in a society that is completely unrecognizable from today.

mkopec

<Gold Donor>
The big thing to look out for is nano bots and how they will change everything around us. They already have some they are testing that can stomp out cancer cells.

DNA nano-robots will hunt down and kill cancer cells

These things can essentially be made in the future to keep us alive forever. Fuck robots, its nano bots which will be the next big thing. Afterall why have a sex bot, if you cant live forever to fuck it, right?

Omi43221

Trakanon Raider
I mean, anything is *eventually* possible. But once we can make robots that can simulate humans to the point where the humans can't tell anymore, then humans themselves are probably entirely superfluous in industry and commercial ventures. Which means your entire life is one of leisure and luxury (or complete destitute poverty depending on the social system I guess.) That sex bots will exist at that point would be like factor 9785 in a society that is completely unrecognizable from today.

I'm not sure that is true, it just means that more people will need to be proactive about what is done. There will be a large expansion of the manager class. Robots at least how I imagine them don't have their own desires. They do what they are told, I'm sure that will expand and they will be come quite intuitive but the initial impetus to action will come from a human. Impetus to action comes from being alive and robots aren't that. I do think we could build robots that pass the criteria for being alive, I just don't see a good reason why we would do that.

Mist

Eeyore Enthusiast
<Gold Donor>
There will be a large expansion of the manager class.
Almost entirely unlikely. A machine learning based ticket system could replace most of the managers today at most companies that use tickets for workflows. The ML ticket system will know who is good at what tasks by looking at metrics, assign them more of those tasks, and keep track of their progress with more metrics.

The future of business is a bunch of salesmen selling machines, people making machines, people repairing machines, and people who make machines talk to other machines, and not a whole lot else. Some executives will make sure the company is overall moving in the right direction, and they will interface with intelligent agents that run smart workflow systems that keep the above people doing their jobs.

• 1Salty
  • 1Like
Reactions: 1 users

Cad

<Bronze Donator>
I'm not sure that is true, it just means that more people will need to be proactive about what is done. There will be a large expansion of the manager class. Robots at least how I imagine them don't have their own desires. They do what they are told, I'm sure that will expand and they will be come quite intuitive but the initial impetus to action will come from a human. Impetus to action comes from being alive and robots aren't that. I do think we could build robots that pass the criteria for being alive, I just don't see a good reason why we would do that.

I mean, I disagree with the "impetus to action" thing because any machine learning system can be given goals and if its smart enough to fool me in the mate role, it can figure out how to reach its goals.

Managers would be almost entirely superfluous because robots wouldn't be fucking off in their jobs or require supervision the way humans do.

Omi43221

Trakanon Raider
Almost entirely unlikely. A machine learning based ticket system could replace most of the managers today at most companies that use tickets for workflows. The ML ticket system will know who is good at what tasks by looking at metrics, assign them more of those tasks, and keep track of their progress with more metrics.

The future of business is a bunch of salesmen selling machines, people making machines, people repairing machines, and people who make machines talk to other machines, and not a whole lot else. Some executives will make sure the company is overall moving in the right direction, and they will interface with intelligent agents that run smart workflow systems that keep the above people doing their jobs.

Your right, I didn't mean manager class. I suppose entrepreneur class is a better word for it. You buy a plot of land out by a lake in the middle of nowhere. You task your robot with clearing off the plot. You rent a few additional 'construction bots' to build a bed and breakfast prep some nearby usable farmland for crops and you embark on your new business. Your right that in normal every day to day manager work that will be handled by robots. It's the impetus to start something new that is where human beings will come in. I see most of us as entrepreneurs to help direct where the flow of work goes.

Mist

Eeyore Enthusiast
<Gold Donor>
I forgot to add, the machine-learning ticket/task system will also keep track of which tasks are best done by humans, which are best done by autonomous systems, and which are best done by human+robot teams, and assign tasks accordingly.

mkopec

<Gold Donor>
Thats when they will tax the robots, like Bill Gates suggested, and we will get living wages.

Sentagur

Low and to the left
<Silver Donator>
Can any of the autonomous systems out there extrapolate from imperfect information input or is that a pipe dream.
Extrapolation seems to be the key for many things humans do that are still out of reach of AI.

Tuco

I got Tuco'd!
<Gold Donor>
Can any of the autonomous systems out there extrapolate from imperfect information input or is that a pipe dream.
Extrapolation seems to be the key for many things humans do that are still out of reach of AI.
Extrapolation from imperfect information is fundamentally every estimation and prediction process ever, including say, your cruise control system.

Sentagur

Low and to the left
<Silver Donator>
Extrapolation from imperfect information is fundamentally every estimation and prediction process ever, including say, your cruise control system.
I have never associeted estimation with anything machines do and was always under the impression that machines require precise inputs to function or they will error out.

Tuco

I got Tuco'd!
<Gold Donor>
I have never associeted estimation with anything machines do and was always under the impression that machines require precise inputs to function or they will error out.
Your understanding of them in a general sense probably isn't far off, but estimation, prediction, extrapolation etc is all basic stuff. See:
Stochastic - Wikipedia

What I think you're asking is whether we have AI that can take generalized input and not just figure out how to process it, but learn how to process new types of generalized input.

That doesn't exist, but isn't really a pipe dream.

google.com is probably one of the best examples of this ever. You can smash it with a sentence of mispelled and improper sentences and it'll intelligently come up with what it thinks you want in a personal way, though it requires a human to supply the data (in terms of websites) and another human to interpret the results.

Another good example is Watson, which is probably the best AI we have that can understand language and context and come up with definitive answers.

Sentagur

Low and to the left
<Silver Donator>
Your understanding of them in a general sense probably isn't far off, but estimation, prediction, extrapolation etc is all basic stuff. See:
Stochastic - Wikipedia

What I think you're asking is whether we have AI that can take generalized input and not just figure out how to process it, but learn how to process new types of generalized input.

That doesn't exist, but isn't really a pipe dream.

google.com is probably one of the best examples of this ever. You can smash it with a sentence of mispelled and improper sentences and it'll intelligently come up with what it thinks you want in a personal way, though it requires a human to supply the data (in terms of websites) and another human to interpret the results.

Another good example is Watson, which is probably the best AI we have that can understand language and context and come up with definitive answers.

I was asking more in the line of missing one input for one or more polling cycles.
Lets say AI wants to follow the car in front of it, it needs inputs from multiple sources to calculate the output.
What will it do when for one or two cycles a sensor is not giving any info or giving gibberish data? Can it check the previous values from that sensor and calculate or can it combine data from other sensors to estimate the probable value thats missing?

Tuco

I got Tuco'd!
<Gold Donor>
I was asking more in the line of missing one input for one or more polling cycles.
Lets say AI wants to follow the car in front of it, it needs inputs from multiple sources to calculate the output.
What will it do when for one or two cycles a sensor is not giving any info or giving gibberish data? Can it check the previous values from that sensor and calculate or can it combine data from other sensors to estimate the probable value thats missing?
Yes, that's roughly what it does.

There's different ways to not only calculate a final result (in this case distance to vehicle in front of us) but additionally calculate the likelihood that our vehicle distance is true. Additionally there are systems that calculate the amount of error from each input source. So if we had a car with 2 forward facing cameras, two radar and a lidar all looking at the car in front of us (common setup) we'd have five independent sources of information that could feed an estimation engine with data.

If one radar started wigging out (Because for example the terrain on one side of the road was unstable), a lidar started wigging out (because the sun reflected off a bumper into it) or a monocular camera started wigging out (because the car started blending in with the semi-truck in front of it) those systems would detect that discrepancy and start trusting them less.

A good example of that is:
Kalman filter - Wikipedia