Autonomous Systems

• Guest, it's time once again for the hotly contested and exciting FoH Asshat Tournament!

Go here and fill out your bracket!
    Who's been the biggest Asshat in the last year? Once again, only you can decide!

Would you ever own an autonomous vehicle?

• Hell yeah Bring on our robotic overlords!

• Fuck you! I'll keep my Indepenence

Results are only viewable after voting.

khorum

Murder Apologist
Jeff Bezos confirmed trying to be the bad guy in Iron Man 1

• 1Salty
Reactions: 1 user

SeanDoe1z1

to be fair anyone that loses 60 billion overnight probably gonna kill a few bitches

• 2Worf
Reactions: 1 users

khorum

Murder Apologist
She said she was gonna donate most of her wealth to charity. Kinda hoping that means she sells off first and tanks Amazon's price. A lot of tax revenue locked in that valuation right now that she could uncork if she sells it off. I suppose she could just sign over her equity, but that's boring.

• 1Salty

Tuco

I got Tuco'd!
<Gold Donor>
This is terrifying.

I imagine the lift is just some commercial thing, but it'd be interesting to see what they could do if they made a custom one built for speed / throughput.

Borzak

Bronze Baron of the Realm
I doubt (so far) that autonomous systems in automobiles have had the manpower that they have put into airflight. I think possibly they misjudged the amount of brain power in just driving from point A to B.

Two poeple (possibly 3) just to manage while it does an "auto landing".

Asshat wormie

2023 Asshat Award Winner
<Gold Donor>
What they misjudged is the power of mathematical models without a human mind to interpret them.

Borzak

Bronze Baron of the Realm

paywall.

Technology cuts down on crashes but can also activate when there is no risk; ‘I was so scared’

By Ben Foldy
Aug. 27, 2019 5:30 am ET
Automatic emergency-braking systems that are promoted as a safety feature in vehicles don’t always work as intended and at times activate when there is no risk of a crash, drivers say.

Drivers have reported several hundred incidents to U.S. regulators in recent years of these brakes malfunctioning or not deploying properly, highlighting the challenges car makers face in introducing new technologies that automate more of a car’s driving functions.

The automatic braking features use cameras, sensors and radar to detect objects and can hit the brakes if the driver doesn’t act fast enough. Safety advocates say the technology has significantly reduced accidents and can save lives, and auto makers view such crash-avoidance systems as a critical part of developing autonomous cars.

But the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration has fielded more than 400 individual complaints in the last three years from drivers of vehicles made by Nissan Motor Co. , Volkswagen AG , Honda Motor Co. and other major car manufacturers flagging auto-braking problems, according to a Wall Street Journal analysis of the agency’s public database.

Most are from drivers saying they have had trouble with the automatic brakes deploying suddenly when there is no evidence of danger—at highway speeds, in some cases. Some drivers also reported braking systems failing to engage as expected in the presence of a threat.

Some automatic braking systems activate for pedestrians, while others engage only for other cars. Some try to avoid a collision entirely, while others aim only to slow the car and reduce the impact of a crash.

Auto makers say automatic braking mishaps are often the result of “false positives”—the vehicle’s computer getting confused by a nonthreatening object like an overhead sign or a shadow and triggering the brakes.

Tuco

I got Tuco'd!
<Gold Donor>
Auto makers say automatic braking mishaps are often the result of “false positives”—the vehicle’s computer getting confused by a nonthreatening object like an overhead sign or a shadow and triggering the brakes.
False positives are a big deal in any kind of intelligent system and can be really dangerous for vehicular autonomy. In many cases a false positive is worse than a false negative.

This problem won't go away and will only get worse as advanced driver assist programs become more common.

Tuco

I got Tuco'd!
<Gold Donor>
so7dxygoo9k31.jpg

• 1Solidarity

khorum

Murder Apologist
False positives are a big deal in any kind of intelligent system and can be really dangerous for vehicular autonomy. In many cases a false positive is worse than a false negative.

This problem won't go away and will only get worse as advanced driver assist programs become more common.

Fuck it, just go for full autonomy. Google puts together a video for why they're leapfrogging driver assist altogether: people suck and can't be trusted:

Those were all google employees too. The guy who fell alseep was an engieer.

google waymo said:
During our early days as the Google self-driving car project, we invited some employees to test our vehicles on their commutes and weekend trips. What we were testing at the time was similar to the highway driver assist features that are now available on cars today, where the car takes over the boring parts of the driving, but if something outside its ability occurs, the driver has to take over immediately.

What we saw was that our testers put too much trust in that technology. They were doing things like texting, applying makeup, and even falling asleep that made it clear they would not be ready to take over driving if the vehicle asked them to. This is why we believe that nothing short of full autonomy will do.

• 1Like

khorum

Murder Apologist
Google/Fedex's drone delivery outfit (Wing) officially started Drone deliveries today. They've been doing this in Australia and Finland, but FAA regs take forever.

Oldbased

> Than U
Google/Fedex's drone delivery outfit (Wing) officially started Drone deliveries today. They've been doing this in Australia and Finland, but FAA regs take forever.

I had 37 packages delivered in the past 2 weeks. Some of them> 30 lbs but most of them was car parts or tools that was under a lb. Seems a waste for anything but a drone.

• 1Like

khorum

Murder Apologist
I doubt they'd use the drones for anything but the most remote destinations tho. If the recipient is in an urban area it's virtually guaranteed to be more efficient to use a van because of the densities involved.

If you're far out in the suburbs and there's only 3 deliveries destined to your area per day, then yeah.

Oldbased

> Than U
I doubt they'd use the drones for anything but the most remote destinations tho. If the recipient is in an urban area it's virtually guaranteed to be more efficient to use a van because of the densities involved.

If you're far out in the suburbs and there's only 3 deliveries destined to your area per day, then yeah.
True but 4 days this last week I had packages from UPS/FedEx/USPS on the same day. Most them were light. Things like oxygen sensors, or a specific socket, or memory cards or case fans. 1 drone trip could have eliminated the need for 3 drivers as some of the USPS packages came in addition to the mail truck. I'm just saying as neat as next day delivery on everything is these days from Amazon/Walmart, it still has room to get even cooler and more efficient and cheaper.

• 1Like

Tuco

I got Tuco'd!
<Gold Donor>

I wonder if autonomous vehicles will detect and respond to deer bounding around off the road. In Michigan if you see any deer near a road you slow your ass down immediately because A: their suicidal, unevolved asses will jump out in front of your car when they get spooked and B: if you see one deer there are probably several more right behind it.