Autonomous Systems

• Guest, it's time once again for the hotly contested and exciting FoH Asshat Tournament!

Go here and fill out your bracket!
    Who's been the biggest Asshat in the last year? Once again, only you can decide!

Would you ever own an autonomous vehicle?

• Hell yeah Bring on our robotic overlords!

• Fuck you! I'll keep my Indepenence

Results are only viewable after voting.

Tuco

I got Tuco'd!
<Gold Donor>
Man I'd love to get a hold of one of these. It'd be perfect for some of the things I'm trying to do.

• 2Like
Reactions: 1 users

Kiroy

Marine Biologist
<Bronze Donator>
Man I'd love to get a hold of one of these. It'd be perfect for some of the things I'm trying to do.

very interesting when he mentioned they weren't allowed to kick them sideways to show balance anymore, I wonder if it's already an issue with emotional attachment and blow back from people watching the videos

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Tuco

I got Tuco'd!
<Gold Donor>
very interesting when he mentioned they weren't allowed to kick them sideways to show balance anymore, I wonder if it's already an issue with emotional attachment and blow back from people watching the videos
Maybe. I'm sure they test impact-response still even if they don't do it with a human in the loop.

Goonsquad Officer
I want a self driving car because I don't like driving. But I live in the south and a truck you can drive for 6 years costs like 2000dollars so... I could just do that and save money

• 1Like

khorum

Murder Apologist
Honeywell's Truck Unloader is now headed for Amazon.

Guess that GED wasn't gonna be enough after all.

• 1Like

Borzak

Bronze Baron of the Realm
I like how they glanced over the ones that fell from the loader on the first try and then magically disappeared when it approached the truck next time.

• 1Like

Tuco

I got Tuco'd!
<Gold Donor>
Honeywell's Truck Unloader is now headed for Amazon.

Guess that GED wasn't gonna be enough after all.

There's a use-case for this for sure, but I'd like to see it perform on a more realistic truck load with a higher variety of boxes, weights etc. It's also hard to see how much any of those boxes weigh.

Tuco

I got Tuco'd!
<Gold Donor>

People are worried about face tracking, but it really is hard to perform facial identification with massive data-sets. When you're talking about a searching database with say, 10k fugitives and an input of hundreds of thousands of people a day, you're going to get so many false positives that the system won't be useful. I literally have no idea how it'd be possible in really homogeneous areas.

I think you really need a much more involved system for this where facial identification is just one part of it. The bigger part is personal-tracking where false positives can be automatically filtered. Ex: I'm walking to the local taco bell and a cam picks up a false positive off me and thinks I'm "Johnny Fat-face McCohnne", but references GPS hits on cell-phones in the area, finds me and sees enough of a match for my face that it removes the match.

Cameras, computing power, algorithms are only getting better, and people are only getting more accepting of big brother with each generation. I can definitely see a future where the govt subsidizes internet connectivity in exchange for you signing away your 4th amendment rights. Enough people do that and you get a comprehensive tracking network that can be used to filter people. Shit I'd probably do it right now and kind of already am by using Google's free services to market to me.

• 1Like

Cybsled

They’re already using technologies like this for censorship. Facebook/Instagram more or less confirmed they are using that tech to identify and ban/shadowban content rather than rely on human reviews

• 1Like

khorum

Murder Apologist
Way further up the payscale than unloading trailers at the Amazon dock but probably far more impactful. Automating this leg of the logistics chain will be almost as transformative as containerization itself:

• 1Like

Cybsled

Not even that, the article he linked mentioned a people mover at the convention center

• 1Like

khorum

Murder Apologist
Not even that, the article he linked mentioned a people mover at the convention center

Sounds meh. Prolly gonna be some blinged out tourist thing with LED display walls and shit then.

In other news, Ford's recent layoffs is actually related to a long-term transition to self-driving vehicles with a particular focus on leveraging Ford's advantage in fleet sales.

One of the things is with 3PL retail delivery... which now features bipedal robots from Agility Robotics. But the best part is that ford will deploy those robots like the dumb battle droids from star wars episode 1:

MzMwNjk5Mg.gif

• 1Like