Autonomous Systems

Would you ever own an autonomous vehicle?

• Hell yeah Bring on our robotic overlords!

• Fuck you! I'll keep my Indepenence

Results are only viewable after voting.

khorum

Murder Apologist
Do they have one that has a suction feature, for reasons?

BD's Handle robot has suction cups. Not for the application you're thinking of but it seems a lot more mature than the Digit-1 bot Ford used in that promo video.

• 1Repost
Reactions: 1 user

Borzak

Bronze Baron of the Realm
Sounds meh. Prolly gonna be some blinged out tourist thing with LED display walls and shit then.

In other news, Ford's recent layoffs is actually related to a long-term transition to self-driving vehicles with a particular focus on leveraging Ford's advantage in fleet sales.

One of the things is with 3PL retail delivery... which now features bipedal robots from Agility Robotics. But the best part is that ford will deploy those robots like the dumb battle droids from star wars episode 1:

MzMwNjk5Mg.gif

Get off my lawn. LOL.

Borzak

Not atonomous. But synthetic vision "test" in an airplane. A test landing with synthetic vision only no visuals to the outside world.

Tuco

I got Tuco'd!
<Gold Donor>
flag lady is thiccer than the smoke in a boring company tunnel after a tesla's battery explodes.

• 2Solidarity
Reactions: 1 users

khorum

Murder Apologist
This is fucking amazing. Way more energy efficient than bipeds and a whole order of magnitude more efficient than quadrocopters. Probably a generation or two from being more efficient than wheeled robots but they're already more mobile:

Now put a 1-pound semtex charge on it and you got a DoD contract.

In the event of a civil war we'd either have to capture Berkeley and the valley first or just nuke it right away.

• 1Like

sadris

Karen
<Donor>

Clerical work, such as by secretaries, schedulers and bookkeepers, is an area especially susceptible to automation, and 72% of those jobs in advanced economies are held by women, the McKinsey study said. Service workers, including those employed in retail and food service, are also susceptible to automation, and include women in high numbers.

The study looked at 10 of the world’s largest economies, including the U.S., China and India, and found that 107 million jobs held by women are at risk of being displaced by automation, or 20% overall of female employment. That nearly matches the 21% of jobs held by men at risk of being displaced.

The McKinsey study isn’t projecting mass job loss due to automation. It forecasts that 171 million new jobs held by women will be created by 2030—and the rate of job growth could be slightly larger for women than for men over that time period. That is largely because women hold the majority of jobs in one of the fastest-growing fields: health care.

• 1Like

Borzak

Videos of Boston Dynamics' robots have been the stuff of both awe and inspiration, as well as nightmares. Now, it appears the robots will be doing more than just performing parkour or dancing around on YouTube.

They're going up for sale.

In October, Boston Dynamics, which is now owned by Japanese conglomerate Softbank, released a video of Spot walking around construction sites in Tokyo as it began to test it "for commercial usage around the world."

“We’re manufacturing them at a reasonably high rate for an early product,” Raibert said, adding that the company is "aiming for 1,000 a year.” Currently, there are 50 robots available for beta testing.

• 2Like
Reactions: 1 users

Tuco

I got Tuco'd!
<Gold Donor>
The two big questions I have for those robots is cost and runtime/distance between charges. They look spectacular and can handle many mobility challenges that wheeled robots aren't suited for. I can think of numerous use cases where they could be used even with limited range.

And I bet they are working on something that will combine their high mobility with some wheeled form. Like a pair of wheels on one side of their legs that can be retracted down to enable it to skate around. Or maybe a deployable skateboard :D

khorum

Murder Apologist
They're selling it to OEMs really, they'll be modding it for specific applications. Softbank's ownership means it'll get past some of the "not invented here" stigma that most Japanese vendors still harbor and it may get into the most aggressive automation market in the world.

Could see a radiation-shielded spot mini working on the Fukushima decommissioning site in a year.

Tuco

I got Tuco'd!
<Gold Donor>

Somebody probably should've told these dumbasses that traffic stops are secondarily for enforcing traffic laws and primarily for catching people breaking non-traffic laws by inspecting criminal vehicles who can't help but break traffic laws.

Cybsled

They're selling it to OEMs really, they'll be modding it for specific applications. Softbank's ownership means it'll get past some of the "not invented here" stigma that most Japanese vendors still harbor and it may get into the most aggressive automation market in the world.

Could see a radiation-shielded spot mini working on the Fukushima decommissioning site in a year.

No doubt. I also see early adaptation into the aging population assistance market. Follows the person around and can help carry groceries or things up the stair

khorum

Murder Apologist
No doubt. I also see early adaptation into the aging population assistance market. Follows the person around and can help carry groceries or things up the stair

The eldercare application will prolly be closer to telepresence/telemedicine though. They could deploy spot mini's equipped with cameras and able to open doors and traverse into narrow hallways and then double up as a telepresence client for the nursing staff to check on older folks or watch them take their medicine REMOTELY from a centralized nursing station or even offsite.

But even then, Japan's inclination towards automated disaster mitigation would have applications for THAT. Imagine this snake arm originally developed by a Japanese firm to help inspect industrial accidents applied on the spot platform as a telepresence tool to help doctors/nurses observe their senior patients remotely.

khorum

Murder Apologist
Years ago, I got roped into a private fund that started out investing in stuff like fish farms for Australian Barramundi or Chilean Sea Bass... but lately their research nerds have been spamming the mailing list with robotics/AI and vertical farming stuff. And they have a particular hardon for these farm automation ventures.

Tuco

I got Tuco'd!
<Gold Donor>
harvesting bots are great, but I think an approach that shakes the bush/tree/plant and then collects what it drops is going to be the way to go instead of hand actuation. How that translates to strawberries I have no idea.

2:11:

• 1Like

khorum

Murder Apologist
Man, the Japanese seem to be really into these robotic tentacles for some reason.

This is like the 4th or 5th one being developed for fukushima.