Palum

what Suineg set it to
It never fully came across in the movie, but they made a "field guide" to Pandora that expanded on not only that planet, but also on what was happening on Earth. Good read if you enjoy fictional atlas/field guide type books.

If it never came across in the movie then it doesn't matter.

I'm so sick of retards hiring people to write comic books, novels and wikipedia pages to make up their own shit because they can't tell a story properly in the first place. That's not worldbuilding, that's creatively bankrupt hacks trying to cash in on the creativity of other people by saying 'yea sure that fanfic is basically what I imagined'.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Big Phoenix

Pronouns: zie/zhem/zer
<Gold Donor>
HOW DO YOU KNOW?
Seen both unfortunately.

Avatar was such a pointless waste though. Why would you remake dances with wolves? Why couldnt it just be dudes in power armor fucking up aliens?

• 2Solidarity
Reactions: 1 users

Sterling

El Presidente
Avatar was fine. Not especially great or anything but I don't think it was nearly as bad as people seem to make it out to be. The story is a rehash of a rehash of a rehash, but there's a reason they keep falling back to this basic plot. That being said, I don't really care about the sequels. I mean I hope that they're good since I'd like to see some good high budget sci fi movies made, but I'm not all that invested in them like say Star Wars or the MCU films at this point.

Arbitrary

Tranny Chaser
It's nowhere near bad. It's just that at the time it was heralded as this amazing visionary sci-fi epic when it just wasn't. It looked great and the story was serviceable. It was no Star Wars, ET, Blade Runner, or 2001 : A Space Odyssey tier film. Hell, it wasn't even a Terminator and it sure as fuck wasn't an Alien and James Cameron was integral to those franchises.

It's mostly sour grapes anyway. SEE MR CAMERON, YOUR BILLION DOLLAR FILM THAT YOU WON A BUNCH OF AWARDS FOR WASN'T AS GOOD AS PEOPLE THOUGHT.

We're just wanking about on the 'net which is fine because the internet is mostly about wankery anyway.

• 2Like
Reactions: 1 users

Qhue

Trump's Staff
Avatar brought back 3D and for that it will always be heralded as a watershed moment in Cinematic distribution. Suddenly exhibitors had a mechanism by which they could jack up ticket prices far faster than they would have been able to otherwise.

It really halted and then reversed the collapse of the American Multiplex Cinema in one fell swoop AND hastened the adoption of digital projection.

Mr. K

Molten Core Raider
First bad Disney decision in a while was making "Avatar" land.

The movie was weak, this is a waste of money.

• 1Like

Qhue

Trump's Staff
Yeah the World of Pandora seems like a huge mistake. Granted Animal Kingdom was always intended to have fantasy elements when first conceived, but this just isn't going to be the kind of draw necessary. No one below the age of 16 even remembers Avatar at this point.

Mr. K

Molten Core Raider
Yeah the World of Pandora seems like a huge mistake. Granted Animal Kingdom was always intended to have fantasy elements when first conceived, but this just isn't going to be the kind of draw necessary. No one below the age of 16 even remembers Avatar at this point.

That's the problem and most people over 16 don't think of it fondly like Star Wars or Star Trek.

It's just a random one off movie that showed off new technology, like that Final Fantasy movie.

They are going to lose money on this.

Ravishing

Uninspiring Title
<Bronze Donator>
That's the problem and most people over 16 don't think of it fondly like Star Wars or Star Trek.

It's just a random one off movie that showed off new technology, like that Final Fantasy movie.

They are going to lose money on this.

You underestimate Disney's marketing department.

Disney can make dog shit profitable.

Disney is the best marketing company ever to exist.

Mr. K

Molten Core Raider
Disney's ineptitude has been covered up by buying Marvel and Star Wars.

They fuck up a lot.

And Avatar is going to be one of those fuck ups.

One sequel gets made. That is it.

Mr. K

Molten Core Raider
Also, people seem to forget the crap before they brought Pixar into the fold properly.

Really Disney is great at things like taking Beauty and the Beast and remaking the movie.

In the end, fuck Avatar.

Ravishing

Uninspiring Title
<Bronze Donator>
As an entertainment company you need to take risks, they don't always pay off, but it terms of losing money, it's rare with Disney. John carter is a good example of a flop but that's an exception, not the norm for them. Also I thought we were talking about the Animal Kingdom park, the fact it's a part of the park pretty much guarantees it won't flop... the movies on the otherhand.. well, I wouldn't doubt James Cameron either.

Cybsled

John Carter was ok, although the gravity on Mars isn't that low where you can jump around like you're the damned Incredible Hulk lol

• 1Like

spronk

FPS noob
avatar is being produced and distributed by 20th century fox, disney bought the rights for the theme park but they don't have much to do with the movie

Muligan

Trakanon Raider

I believe that was a big part of it. They are always wanting to grow their parks and this was a natural fit for them. Animal Kingdom was intended to have dragons and all this fantasy stuff and Avatar allows them to skip a lot of the creative process. They are essentially just replicating ideas and going to copy and paste a lot of work. They're scratching each others back i'm sure too. New movies coming out and they can hype each other. We are taking our annual Disney vacation soon so i'll be able to speak more to it later. We're Disney crazy in our family so they will all be pretty critical while we are there. I wish I liked Avatar more but I simply don't care for it so i'm not all that excited. I wish Disney could have landed Harry Potter and did the whole Fantastic Beasts angle in the Animal Kingdom but they went Universal so that shipped has sailed.