Avengers: Endgame (2019)

Void

Experiencer
<Gold Donor>
Oh duh. That makes sense.

Still think it was Cap hammering the shield. They spent the whole movie looking back. An allusion to the future would be more fitting for the MCU. Wouldnt be mad if it was Tony from IM1 though.
Obviously I didn't write the movie to say for certain, but I would bet a lot of money that it wasn't Cap hammering the shield. For one...do you even hammer vibranium? Another, I can't see his shield making that noise. And third, it makes no sense. I'm 99% sure it is a callback to Tony Stark, the person this movie was ultimately about. Of course everyone else got various levels of treatment, with Cap being almost equal to Tony, but after seeing the movie it is clear that this entire decade was Tony's story. It started and ended with him. They didn't even have a post-credits teaser because they wanted to honor his story, with no distractions. The noise was, in my opinion, clearly the sound of him hammering his original armor, the thing that literally started all of these events in motion.

Sure, I could be wrong. But I doubt it. I know you allowed for the possibility of it being Tony, but just making my case for why I think it isn't your first choice. Hopefully they'll say officially at some point just so we can be sure.

• 2Solidarity
Reactions: 1 users

Void

Experiencer
<Gold Donor>
The Cap paradox is pretty simple, if you think about it. (Maybe someone else said this same thing, but I'm not caught up with the entire thread yet.) Let's assume he has extra Pym particles so he doesn't get stuck like he almost did the last time. And I'm sure Hank Pym is more than happy to give one of the guys responsible for bringing him and his family back all the particles he wants.

Cap steps on the portal and jumps back to return everything. Instead of coming back, he goes to the 1940s and lives out the rest of his life. To him, that is HIS future, regardless of the calendar date. That is also where the timeline branches off into an alternate reality. Perhaps he stops Hydra, Loki, everything he knows about in that timeline. Peggy eventually dies. Cap takes his old time machine out and leaps BACK to his past...to the park bench in our present. He watches his younger self step onto the platform and disappear. He is now BEFORE the branching of the alternate timeline, and is back in our timeline. Again, calendar date is irrelevant, it is all from his perspective. It was stated quite clearly that everything that has happened stays the way it was and cannot be altered. You can make alternate timelines, but you cannot change your OWN past. So the moment he comes back to his own past, before he made any changes, he returns to our timeline.

Also, the pad thing is clearly just for convenience. There were no pads where all of them landed in the past, so it is clearly not necessary. Cap can reappear in that exact spot (assuming he isn't able to change the gps on the fly) a day early, or he can change the geographic location if he knows enough, to reappear in the bushes or some shit. That's not the important part. The fact that he is NOT going into the future at any point in his jumping is what is important. He is constantly creating a new present/past from his perspective, and he simply returns to HIS 70 year old past to give the shield to Falcon.

a c i d.f l y

ಠ_ಠ
<Silver Donator>
The Cap paradox is pretty simple, if you think about it. (Maybe someone else said this same thing, but I'm not caught up with the entire thread yet.) Let's assume he has extra Pym particles so he doesn't get stuck like he almost did the last time. And I'm sure Hank Pym is more than happy to give one of the guys responsible for bringing him and his family back all the particles he wants.

Cap steps on the portal and jumps back to return everything. Instead of coming back, he goes to the 1940s and lives out the rest of his life. To him, that is HIS future, regardless of the calendar date. That is also where the timeline branches off into an alternate reality. Perhaps he stops Hydra, Loki, everything he knows about in that timeline. Peggy eventually dies. Cap takes his old time machine out and leaps BACK to his past...to the park bench in our present. He watches his younger self step onto the platform and disappear. He is now BEFORE the branching of the alternate timeline, and is back in our timeline. Again, calendar date is irrelevant, it is all from his perspective. It was stated quite clearly that everything that has happened stays the way it was and cannot be altered. You can make alternate timelines, but you cannot change your OWN past. So the moment he comes back to his own past, before he made any changes, he returns to our timeline.

Also, the pad thing is clearly just for convenience. There were no pads where all of them landed in the past, so it is clearly not necessary. Cap can reappear in that exact spot (assuming he isn't able to change the gps on the fly) a day early, or he can change the geographic location if he knows enough, to reappear in the bushes or some shit. That's not the important part. The fact that he is NOT going into the future at any point in his jumping is what is important. He is constantly creating a new present/past from his perspective, and he simply returns to HIS 70 year old past to give the shield to Falcon.
And with how the super serum affects him, who knows just how fuckin' far into the future he went before returning... "I wanna make sure this shit works out." Probably had the opportunity to have sex with four generations of Carters.

• 1Solidarity
  • 1Like

Maul

Dental Dammer

You don't need to assume he has extra pym particles at all, he takes 4 from the lab (only needs 2 to send him and Ironman back to the present)

j00t

Silver Baronet of the Realm
they also said that hulk didn't come out in infinity war because hulk was tired of solving banner's problems, even though they clearly showed it to be that hulk was being a baby about getting his face pushed in by thanos. so whatevs

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

j00t

Silver Baronet of the Realm
You don't need to assume he has extra pym particles at all, he takes 4 from the lab (only needs 2 to send him and Ironman back to the present)

which is just a silly thing because he can go back and get more whenever he wants. also antman needs pym particles to do ANYTHING and he was shrinking and gianting all over the last battle

Void

Experiencer
<Gold Donor>
Well, the extra Pym particles really wasn't the point of my post, it was just a "let's not get hung up on how many times he can go through time" aside.

The real point was to prove that they were NOT inconsistent with their own time travel rules with the Cap ending.

Aychamo BanBan

<Banned>
Why is Nebula so lovable?
they also said that hulk didn't come out in infinity war because hulk was tired of solving banner's problems, even though they clearly showed it to be that hulk was being a baby about getting his face pushed in by thanos. so whatevs

I was pissed that there wasn't an awesome Hulk scene in endgame. But I rewatched it and realized hulk snaps right before thanos attacks, which left hulk pretty fucked up and with only one arm. Still sucks that we didn't get to see Hulk do anything for either of these last two avengers movies.

Xevy

Log Wizard
What does that says? Because it's one of those sites where, unless you enable 36+ valid scripts, you can't pass the "oh, we're using cookies" page.

He visited an alternate timeline with Peggy. He isn't married to main timeline Peggy. He came back to our timeline at some point, doesn't say when, doesn't say how, but states that he wasn't "always there".

Maul

Dental Dammer
Why is Nebula so lovable?

I was pissed that there wasn't an awesome Hulk scene in endgame. But I rewatched it and realized hulk snaps right before thanos attacks, which left hulk pretty fucked up and with only one arm. Still sucks that we didn't get to see Hulk do anything for either of these last two avengers movies.
That's the most disappointing thing about the two movies, professor hulk is just a shit version compared to the ragnorok smash one.

Awesome character ruined there.

TBT-TheBigToe

Gemcutter
<Gold Donor>
One of the things about the whole “cap paradox” that people seem to overlook is that he went back with the infinity stones AND mjolnir. I imagine that while wielding the power of the God of Thunder he may be more resistant to certain ill effects from the stones and maybe was even able to use the stones in conjunction to safeguard the timeline, maybe even defend it from Kang in a temporal team up...

But leaving it intentionally vague for future story opportunities, I kind of thought that was part of the point as it frees them from having to actually write that story for Endgame. I do enjoy the fan-fictioning and participating though. I have no doubt Chris Evans would be willing to revisit the character down the road as a one off or continuing cameo like Stan Lee did.

Nester

Vyemm Raider
One of the things about the whole “cap paradox” that people seem to overlook is that he went back with the infinity stones AND mjolnir. I imagine that while wielding the power of the God of Thunder he may be more resistant to certain ill effects from the stones and maybe was even able to use the stones in conjunction to safeguard the timeline, maybe even defend it from Kang in a temporal team up...

But leaving it intentionally vague for future story opportunities, I kind of thought that was part of the point as it frees them from having to actually write that story for Endgame. I do enjoy the fan-fictioning and participating though. I have no doubt Chris Evans would be willing to revisit the character down the road as a one off or continuing cameo like Stan Lee did.

This is going to be the best marvel movie.

Captain America and the Infinity Stones. (and Mjolnir)

PS- The director has confirmed that old Cap, had to time jump back to our reality. He did not just live his life then walk to the bench, he lived his life in the other reality then jumped back to his original reality

So, has Cap been living in the past this whole time — or did he go and live in another dimension?

The directors say it’s the latter.

“If Cap were to go back into the past and live there, he would create a branched reality,” Joe explained. “The question then becomes, how is he back in this reality to give the shield away?”

The brothers smile.

“Interesting question, right?” Joe said. “Maybe there’s a story there. There’s a lot of layers built into this movie and we spent three years thinking through it, so it’s fun to talk about it and hopefully fill in holes for people so they understand what we’re thinking.”

'Avengers Endgame' directors answer Captain America mystery

Another interesting take is that the Shield given to Falcon was from another realities Captain America who was Sam not Steve.
He does not say "here is a gift and now its your shield"

“Like it’s someone else’s,” Falcon answers.

“It isn’t,” Cap tells him.

Apparently there is a Winter Soldier and Falcon Disney+ show in the works.

• 2Like

TBT-TheBigToe

Gemcutter
<Gold Donor>

Introducing the Skrulls and then not having some kind of Secret Invasion Cross Over Event! across all their new shows and movies would be foolish. Use it to introduce new characters, eliminate old ones, create new teams and break up old ones, revitalize flagging shows and characters...

Worst crime would be a missed opportunity as an amazing meta fan service/nod/joke, in my opinion. (I fucking hated Cross Over Event!s)