Avengers: Endgame (2019)

• Guest, it's time once again for the hotly contested and exciting FoH Asshat Tournament!

Go here and fill out your bracket!
    Who's been the biggest Asshat in the last year? Once again, only you can decide!

Zweischneid

Molten Core Raider
Usually thats called bad story writing.

The idea of a "superhero" is by definiton a bad set-up for good storytelling in a classical sense.

You want the protagonist or "hero" to be the underdog. The pot-bellied hobbit among legendary swordsmen. The fringe-of-the-galaxy farmboy. Etc..

Having the main guy (or girl) be imbued with more powers than his average surrounding puts you in a weird place from the get-go, having to make the opposition the hero has to overcome even more powerful, which in turn can easily make conflict-resolution feel railroaded and deus ex machina.

There're many ways to get around it. E.g. challenging a "physically super-strong" hero on a moral level for example, or (as marvel has often done previously), largely ignoring the villain and focusing on other parts of the story. But it's a problem that that'll always be present in superhero movies (and large franchises, where the previously unremarkable farmboy or down-on-his-luck-smuggler, etc.. take on superhero-qualities eventually through accumulated plot armour and their underdog status becomes increasingly less believable).

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Big Phoenix

Pronouns: zie/zhem/zer
<Gold Donor>
If you set up your universe with a plethora of characters that break it and dont make any sense within the framework you create, thats simply bad writing. Its the reason why The Hulk is such a dumb character.

It can still be very entertaining but thats the reality.

Last edited:

j00t

Silver Baronet of the Realm
The idea of a "superhero" is by definiton a bad set-up for good storytelling in a classical sense.

You want the protagonist or "hero" to be the underdog. The pot-bellied hobbit among legendary swordsmen. The fringe-of-the-galaxy farmboy. Etc..

Having the main guy (or girl) be imbued with more powers than his average surrounding puts you in a weird place from the get-go, having to make the opposition the hero has to overcome even more powerful, which in turn can easily make conflict-resolution feel railroaded and deus ex machina.

There're many ways to get around it. E.g. challenging a "physically super-strong" hero on a moral level for example, or (as marvel has often done previously), largely ignoring the villain and focusing on other parts of the story. But it's a problem that that'll always be present in superhero movies (and large franchises, where the previously unremarkable farmboy or down-on-his-luck-smuggler, etc.. take on superhero-qualities eventually through accumulated plot armour and their underdog status becomes increasingly less believable).

sometimes, yes and no. obviously with thanos, the point is that ALL the avengers COMBINED were still outgunned by thanos, so they are still the underdog.

but a good story doesn't necessarily have to be about being the underdog. superman vs the elite for example. the story isn't about superman being the underdog. it's a great story because the point of it isn't to demonstrate how strong or unstoppable he is. the point is that there's always a better choice and what makes superman "super" is that he will move heaven and earth to make that better choice.

Xenrauk

Trakanon Raider
Yeah, that bugged me and seems like a complete error.

Pretty sure the red house there is of norwegian design...
Dr strange only opened one portal for the group that was on titan, the rest of the portals was opened by the other monks on earth.

• 2Like
Reactions: 1 users

Downhammer

Vyemm Raider
Someone remind me where the pegasus came from, I don't remember the asguardians herding any onto the refugee ship. Would have been kind of handy at the end of ragnarok.

• 3Like
Reactions: 2 users

Aychamo BanBan

<Banned>
South Karanas
be300c1b5a005a38e90244389eb87579.jpg

God that game was a fucking asshole. Like how if you did anything stupid, you would just be fucked, and running with no defenses to your corpse, begging for a rez so you dont lose numerous hours of experience. Just horrible. Or like that horrible feeling when you wiped zoning into Plane of Fear, hoping yall can recover, or you went link dead and your whole guild has already left the plane and your corpse is there. God that game was fucking brutal. But it made you loyal and love your guild mates... I still remember being like level 10 and dying to the bandits in West Karana and losing my weapon, lmao. FUCK. I can still mentally get from Freeport to Qeynos.

• 4Like
Reactions: 3 users

Seananigans

Honorary Shit-PhD
<Gold Donor>
God that game was a fucking asshole. Like how if you did anything stupid, you would just be fucked, and running with no defenses to your corpse, begging for a rez so you dont lose numerous hours of experience. Just horrible. Or like that horrible feeling when you wiped zoning into Plane of Fear, hoping yall can recover, or you went link dead and your whole guild has already left the plane and your corpse is there. God that game was fucking brutal. But it made you loyal and love your guild mates... I still remember being like level 10 and dying to the bandits in West Karana and losing my weapon, lmao. FUCK. I can still mentally get from Freeport to Qeynos.

Cool story bro, 10/10 would read more times than I'd watch Captain Marvel 2 or Black Panther 2.

• 4Like

Chukzombi

Millie's Staff Member
it certainly presented challenges for not paying attention.

• 1Like

Frenzied Wombat

Potato del Grande
Just saw this yesterday. My opinion from someone that isn't a Marvel fanboi and hasn't read any of this thread.

As soon as they mentioned "Time Travel" I looked at my watch. When freakin' Ant-Man was the one who proposed it of all people, and Stark seems to work the whole thing out over a five minute span, I wanted to just leave the theater and wait for an online rip. Besides being a horrible, overused, lazy plot device, the fact that it's delivered by Ant-Man and so trivial to build makes it even more cringe. So a few Earthlings basically invent the most powerful device in the universe?

The rest I found fairly boring until the fight at the end, which was good but not anything ground breaking.

• 2Like
  • 2Salty

Muurloen

Pronouns: zie/zhem/zer
Just saw this yesterday. My opinion from someone that isn't a Marvel fanboi and hasn't read any of this thread.

As soon as they mentioned "Time Travel" I looked at my watch. When freakin' Ant-Man was the one who proposed it of all people, and Stark seems to work the whole thing out over a five minute span, I wanted to just leave the theater and wait for an online rip. Besides being a horrible, overused, lazy plot device, the fact that it's delivered by Ant-Man and so trivial to build makes it even more cringe. So a few Earthlings basically invent the most powerful device in the universe?

The rest I found fairly boring until the fight at the end, which was good but not anything ground breaking.
Glad someone else thought the exact same thing.

• 2Salty
  • 1Solidarity
  • 1Like

Xarpolis

Life's a Dream
South Karanas
be300c1b5a005a38e90244389eb87579.jpg
I had his cloak from grinding on Treants one day as a high 30's Wizard and someone doing Aviaks happened to shout that he was up. Good times. There might have been a handfull of level 50's at this point. I wasn't super fast at leveling.

Last edited:
  • 2Like
Reactions: 1 users

j00t

Silver Baronet of the Realm
Glad someone else thought the exact same thing.

pretty sure we ALL thought that same thing. i mean, comic book wise, hank pym is presented to be one of the smartest creatures in existence alongside tony stark. in the movies they hated each other so some magical things could happen if they ever got past their differences and started sharing ideas. which is exactly what happened. scott showed stark pym's work and tony was like
giphy.gif

• 1Like

Gamma Rays

Large sized member
I was thinking, with the time travel logics used in the film.

They could have grabbed multiple versions of infinity stones from different times and places and battled Thanos using 6 or more infinity guantlets.

Maybe I should stop thinking any time travel logic.

Gavinmad

Mr. Poopybutthole
I was thinking, with the time travel logics used in the film.

They could have grabbed multiple versions of infinity stones from different times and places and battled Thanos using 6 or more infinity guantlets.

Maybe I should stop thinking any time travel logic.

Seems like you forgot the part where they only had enough pym particles for one set of jumps.

Gamma Rays

Large sized member
I mean after they went to the Army base in 1970 and grabbed some more. They got enough for their needs, but there was more still.

Plus the option of getting more from different times ie: 2015ish ( whenever Antman was set )

Enzee

Trakanon Raider
Seems like you forgot the part where they only had enough pym particles for one set of jumps.
and the infinity stones in the movie have a cost to their use. Whether its cause they were outside THE gauntlet, that thanos had the dwarf guy make, or just when you use them for something as big as the snap.. idk. But, it wasn't like the comics where having all the stones just makes you a god that can do anything constantly.

I don't know why people are having an issue with the time travel. Especially if you think it created paradoxes or plot holes, it really didn't. Each jump is basically an alternate universe. Nothing they do affects their reality or timeline. Each time they jump, it was creating a new timeline from their changes, if any.

• 1Like