Avengers: Infinity War (2018)

Jive Turkey

Karen
See that's the thing though, it's just the first one the mass public has seen. The reason we didn't see any trailer for like 6 whole months after the one that aired at D23 in July was "we're polishing it, we want to make it perfect for the masses, blah blah blah". So if they really play the early trailer unfinished CG excuse i'm gonna cry bullshit.

It's not an excuse though. It's just the way it is. The thing is still 5 months away

Here's a pretty good example. The Planet of the Apes movies have some of the most convincing CG thus far. But you can see from the trailer to the release that they're still finessing the models. The refinements toward the end of development are mostly lighting and resolution and that's where all the realism lies

B3XhI4_CAAAAbJP.jpg:large

Last edited:
  • 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Jive Turkey

Karen
In my defense, I didn't watch the movie or care about it at all. I guess I was just remembering the bit where he got all big and was crushing Xavier in the trailer.

He unequivocally looked like shit either way. I couldn't get Tom Berenger's leathery face out of my mind every time he showed up on screen

This is what we could've had. It's my understanding this one was even sculpted over a life cast of Oscar Isaac, so it could've been exactly this

unsused-en-sabah-nur-design-x-men-apocalypse.jpg

• 2Solidarity
Reactions: 1 users

a c i d.f l y

ಠ_ಠ
<Silver Donator>
Captain American uses a shield. The technology of ancient civilizations... And these idiots are shitting up this thread with their "we wuz kangz" bullshit.

He also uses firearms, and that shield isn't made of wood and leather, or even steel, and can reflect Iron man's blasts. I'd say that's pretty solid tech.

I still have no idea what they're actually going to bring to the table with the Wakandans. Obviously they have jets and shit, suits that are bullet proof, strength (with vibranium claws) that allows them to rip wheels off cars in motion and hyper agility.

But even in doctor strange the monks were practicing with sticks. Granted, some of those sticks were magical.

• 1Like

Royal

Connoisseur of Exotic Pictures
If you look closely as some of the stills from both Black Panther and Infinity War many of the Wakandans are wearing metal armor. I don't know if they suit up the rank and file in vibranium but they're not all just out there in animal skins.

Drakain

Trakanon Raider
Remember the first Thor trailer had Hela crushing his hammer in a New York alley. Final trailer and film she was out in a grassy area.

Kiroy

Marine Biologist
<Bronze Donator>
It's not an excuse though. It's just the way it is. The thing is still 5 months away

Here's a pretty good example. The Planet of the Apes movies have some of the most convincing CG thus far. But you can see from the trailer to the release that they're still finessing the models. The refinements toward the end of development are mostly lighting and resolution and that's where all the realism lies

B3XhI4_CAAAAbJP.jpg:large

This honestly looks like someone took a screenshot from the movie and pushed the magic wand button in an editing app and then put them next to each other with words on em.

This example would point to thanos basically looking the same amount of stupid, just slightly more vibrantly stupid.

Ambiturner

Ssraeszha Raider
This honestly looks like someone took a screenshot from the movie and pushed the magic wand button in an editing app and then put them next to each other with words on em.

This example would point to thanos basically looking the same amount of stupid, just slightly more vibrantly stupid.

Right. The only difference I see is one has a blue filter.

Jive Turkey

Karen
Also, Thanos has already been in a few Marvel movies. Why are people shocked by the way he looks? We've already seen him

Jive Turkey

Karen
Right. The only difference I see is one has a blue filter.

The bottom one is clearly more detailed. It could just be the resolution of the screen shots used, but the fact that they polish and refine the models right up to the last minute isn't really up for debate

Royal

Also, Thanos has already been in a few Marvel movies. Why are people shocked by the way he looks? We've already seen him

I can see why some will be taken aback. This is the first time we've seen him without his helmet, hence all of the Bruce Willis and potato head comments. It's also the first time we've seen him in anything close to a day lit environment. It comes up regularly but it's a lot harder to make a CGI character look convincing when they're not in a dimly lit, heavily filtered, or night time setting. Especially where flesh is concerned.

But it's a work in progress. You can tell they've put a lot of work into his expressions. They're subtle though. He gives a little I can smell the victory a cookin' flare of the nostrils when he steps through the portal and then the slight smile starts to creep into the corner of his mouth.

Last edited:

j00t

Silver Baronet of the Realm
Yeah, Marvel cgi department does great work with micro expressions. I'm not really concerned with Thanos, I don't think he looks bad and I know they'll still be polishing up. The scene with cap, hulk, black panther, war machine running, black panther is missing some work too, his movement is pretty mechanical. I know that's not a finished product.

That being said, we aren't talking about broad sweeping changes here. Thanos is more or less going to be the same looking. Maybe some visual flares here and there with the eyes, etc

Homsar

Bronze Baronet of the Realm
The no helmet, bald head and eyes that he didnts have in all of his other previous movies. Did you not read what everyone has been saying

• 1Like

a c i d.f l y

ಠ_ಠ
<Silver Donator>
The no helmet, bald head and eyes that he didnts have in all of his other previous movies. Did you not read what everyone has been saying

No helmet, missing half his armor, and the wrinkles are isolated to his chin so it looks like a goatee instead of being what differentiates his species, when all previous iterations they went up to his nose. And the eyes are too creepily human comparatively. Things that have universally defined Thanos' character in literally every comic iteration.

Probably a lot of the decisions regarding his appearance have a lot to do with design, animation, and render time. I just hope he's geared out in the actual movie, and looks a little less like Stone Cold Steve Austin, or the Pawn Stars dude.

Royal

I wouldn't expect to see him very different in terms of his gear than what we saw in the trailer. He's not wearing most of the old armor in virtually any of the other promotional materials for IW. They even built the statue of him without it:

childrenofthanos-07152017.jpg

The Russo's explanation of why:

“He has a more casual approach, and it’s very philosophical for him. It’s part of his character definition. It’s a spiritual journey for him to collect the stones, and once he starts acquiring stones, he doesn’t require armor as much as he did when he was a warlord. So it was very symbolic.”

Jive Turkey

Karen

He doesn't have hair in the comic books. What kind of haircut would you have liked him to have? Maybe a Gotti blowout? It would be retarded if he just walked around in his helmet all day long. His eyes not glowing is pretty nitpicky

Homsar

Bronze Baronet of the Realm
He just looks bad, i dont care if he wants to freeball. He looked much better in every other version

• 1Solidarity
  • 1Picard
  • 1Barf
Reactions: 2 users

Xarpolis

Life's a Dream
He doesn't have hair in the comic books. What kind of haircut would you have liked him to have? Maybe a Gotti blowout? It would be retarded if he just walked around in his helmet all day long. His eyes not glowing is pretty nitpicky
I'd like him to be sporting a feathered mullet, similar to Patrick Swayze in Road House.