Avengers: Infinity War (2018)

drazon

Lord Nagafen Raider
I've seen a couple of times now and what keeps coming back to haunt me is how this formula is so perfect that I don't understand how The Last Jedi missed it. This movie is the Empire Strikes Back of the MCU. I'm still sitting here watching video after video, theorizing various storylines, and hoping that every MCU movie leading up to the next Avengers will somehow drop clues to their direction. People will be talking about this for months if not all the way until the next movie and that's just how you make the middle installment of a triology. I liked it better the second time and i'm taking my son and his friends for their second go around (so my third time) and while I loved Thanos, Stark, and the more focused characters, there are so many moments that were just epic.

This is one of those movies where I hope there's an extended edition. I'm hoping Ant-man and Wasp has a post-credit tie-in or something to keep the hype train rolling. I also liked how they positioned themselves for the third movie. They could go The Last Jedi route and resolve every storyline and character and be fine. We essentially got blown away with IW so even if the third if underwhelming, i'm going to understand as they usher in the new crew but I really don't think that will happen. I think they're going to deliver a second time with Captain Marvel and whatever twist we get with the Soul Gem. I'm fully expecting a Two Towers moment where Gandalf shows up for Helms Deep in addition to a main character emotional sacrifice.

Yeah, I totally agree. There are so many possibilities they could go in the future with this. Alternate universes, turn back time, free them from the soul stone. Until it is released, you really can speculate on tons of different paths. I just wonder what they do with Thanos. Other than the avengers tracking him down for the stone and gauntlet, what is his motivation really other than preventing them from turning back time? His mission is kind of done, he could just destroy the stones and call it good.

I think it would even be cool to maybe have a bigger threat than Thanos show up and Thanos has to basically bring back those he killed and team up with the avengers. I wonder what the next big villain they will even use. Or maybe they are just done with the avenger team ups and pretty much and just go a different route entirely.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Amzin

Lord Nagafen Raider
I think it's unlikely that Thanos could destroy the stones with the stones themselves, Wanda presumably was able to do it because of very specific conditions that Thanos would need to somehow recreate over time (imbuing external entity with ability to manipulate shit using power not directly from the stones but similar to the stones gained via the stones because... reasons). He could just use the space stone to drop the other ones in completely arbitrary places that'd be effectively impossible to know and find without something that can actually track the stones.

I suspect after Thanos the next "big bad", if there's a singular one, would be relative to the next generation of MCU characters. It depends on how hard a wall they put up between original and next wave though. Is it going to be more fluid where the older ones sort of fade out as new ones see more screen time or will the OG squad just totally get dropped in favor of the newbies? If the original Avengers are still floating around it's a lot harder to come up with a cosmic threat that they don't show up for in 5 years time.

j00t

Silver Baronet of the Realm
the next overarching villian will definitely depend on movie rights. kevin feige has talked about the after infinity war 2, the mcu will function more independently. these team-up movies are amazing to watch but 10 years and 19 movies all having to line up has got to be a massive headache.

i wouldn't be surprised if the big team-up movies line up, but the individual ones are their own things from this point on.

that being said, again, all this probably hinges on movie rights. doom, kang, galactus would all be great antagonists that would be of similar power level to thanos.

Ambiturner

Ssraeszha Raider
the next overarching villian will definitely depend on movie rights. kevin feige has talked about the after infinity war 2, the mcu will function more independently. these team-up movies are amazing to watch but 10 years and 19 movies all having to line up has got to be a massive headache.

i wouldn't be surprised if the big team-up movies line up, but the individual ones are their own things from this point on.

that being said, again, all this probably hinges on movie rights. doom, kang, galactus would all be great antagonists that would be of similar power level to thanos.

They'd all be massive downgrades compared to Thanos with the Infinity Gauntlet. Only place to go from here would be something like original Beyonder or Protege. Don't think they'd translate to film very well as the idea of Thor or Hulk trying to duke it out with the Beyonder is silly.

fris

Blackwing Lair Raider
I think the challenge will be power levels and the ability to entertain. look at Thor: Ragnarok , perfect team up movie. they could do so many of these. I just don't see how they can do one with less impressive heroes. Oh no, Dr. Octopus is robbing a bank! Well Spiderman was just trading blows w/ a 2 stone Thanos, how scary can Dr. Oc really be?

i dunno, maybe i'm just that kid on the tricycle from the first incredibles, "Well, what are you waiting for?!" "I dunno.... something amazing... i guess...."

j00t

They'd all be massive downgrades compared to Thanos with the Infinity Gauntlet. Only place to go from here would be something like original Beyonder or Protege. Don't think they'd translate to film very well as the idea of Thor or Hulk trying to duke it out with the Beyonder is silly.

Are we talking raw power or threat potential, because doom isn't a massive downgrade from anyone, threat-wise.

• 1Like

j00t

I think the challenge will be power levels and the ability to entertain. look at Thor: Ragnarok , perfect team up movie. they could do so many of these. I just don't see how they can do one with less impressive heroes. Oh no, Dr. Octopus is robbing a bank! Well Spiderman was just trading blows w/ a 2 stone Thanos, how scary can Dr. Oc really be?

i dunno, maybe i'm just that kid on the tricycle from the first incredibles, "Well, what are you waiting for?!" "I dunno.... something amazing... i guess...."

when superhero fatigue sets in, it will be because of this. this is fundamentally the biggest problem with comic books, but it tends to just be a forgivable sin with that medium. batman can dodge darksied's omega sanction, but can also get knocked out by a random thug.

Phazael

Confirmed Beta Shitlord, Fat Bastard
<Aristocrat╭ರ_•́>
If they ever do something on this level again (debatable if the actors will even stick around long enough in many cases) it would have to be an interesting villain that you can story tell well for (or team). Galactus is a classic, but stories around him simply would not translate well to film (though the herald battle lead ups would be awesome). Secret Wars seems an obvious choice, but holy hell is the Beyonder arc hokey. Personally, I would do a Magus arc (Mark Hammil says he wants in) centered on GotG with a few extra characters (the new Thor style seems to mesh well with that cast) or a few similar movies. Honestly, the best movies have been ones where a couple of characters team up or interact against a specific problem, like Ragnorok, Homecomming, and Winter Soldier. Give me Spiderman and Hawkeye up against Sinister 6, a Dr Strange Hulk and Namor Defenders movie against SHuma Gora, or just about any Thor vs the Elders arc movie. These films, when done with humor, have worked the best (Exception: Winter Soldier was awesome despite its continuously serious tone).

The other issue I see is the "muh diversity" idiots starting to get their fingers in the pot fucking things up, especially as the old central core characters get rotated out and they decide to recast certain things.

• 1Salty

PatrickStar

Trakanon Raider
Look if muh diversity gets me Margot Robbie as Female Thor, Alicia Vikander as Kate Bishop, Chloe Moretz as Spider Gwen, and Milayna Vantrub as Squirrel Girl bring it on.

• 2Like
  • 1Solidarity
Reactions: 2 users

Ambiturner

Ssraeszha Raider
Are we talking raw power or threat potential, because doom isn't a massive downgrade from anyone, threat-wise.

He's a massive downgrade in everything from Thanos with the gauntlet, original Beyonder, and Protege. He's a good villain, but more a single movie than multiple movies involving a whole universe

Sumdain x

Trakanon Raider
i think Doom would be good for a multi movie villain. hell, i think he'd be fine even in his own movie as he can come across as a sympathetic character.

He's had the infinity gauntlet at one point
He's the only person to be both scientist surpreme and sorceror supreme of earth
doombots
he became a god at one point and turned it down on his own accord because "he found it beneath him"

you could even have him assist in repelling galactus and set him up as a savior but still a bad guy.

Amzin

Lord Nagafen Raider
One of the points I was trying to make above is once the Gen-1 MCU heroes are "retired", you don't particularly need to escalate threat, the threats just need to be relevant relative to the new heroes. But you do have some in-between ones like Spider-Man who is part of Infinity War put also probably going to be in the MCU for a while. Also Captain Marvel, who is supposed to be much stronger than most of the current MCU heroes, and maybe Dr. Strange too.

• 1Like

pharmakos

soʞɐɯɹɐɥd
<Bronze Donator>
they can always just have Dr. Strange be like "meh, i'm Sorcerer Supreme of Earth, i don't have time for this" as a way to take him out of any given threat level equation.

The Edge

Lord Nagafen Raider
Infinity War Part 2

Deadpool shows up, goes back in time and kills baby Thanos.

Roll Credits

• 2Worf
  • 1Like

rhinohelix

<Gold Donor>
Look if muh diversity gets me Margot Robbie as Female Thor, Alicia Vikander as Kate Bishop, Chloe Moretz as Spider Gwen, and Milayna Vantrub as Squirrel Girl bring it on.
Anything that brings in SJW "All New/All Different" Marvel can DIAF. I don't care if they cast all the above without pants; as that noted philosopher Kirk Lazarus indicated, you never go full retard and you never bring in characters that are virtue-signal gender swaps of existing characters. There are plenty of good, non-cultural Marxist female characters in the MCU where you can have tons of female heroes without the need to kill/steal existing heroes to do so. Unless you are doing it to retain your bourgeoisie cake and proletariat eat it too.

• 1Like

Lanx

<Prior Amod>
It took so long to get rid of fem-thor
thor-705-600x514.jpg

Even then, they didn't kill her, literally no one cares about Jane Foster, Thor did have the best art, of all the Marvel titles in all their catalogue The Mighty Thor had the best art.

• 1Solidarity

Xarpolis

Life's a Dream
Mark Bagley was a very good artist. He did the first 111 issues of Ultimate Spider-Man. I really liked his style.

McCheese

SW: Sean, CW: Crone, GW: Wizardhawk
I really don't think it matters which over-arching villain they go with next, or if they go with one at all. As long as they keep making solid, enjoyable movies, people will keep seeing them. Whether that involves single-hero movies, buddy team-ups a la Thor: Ragnarok, or Avengers-style ensembles, the MCU isn't successful because of the interconnectedness of the movies and characters; it's successful because the vast majority of the movies they've made have been damn good all on their own. The fact that they connect to the others is just a bonus.

Just look at the DC universe movies to see what happens when you have interconnectedness with shitty movies. No one cares about the over-arching story if the movies themselves are shitty.

• 2Solidarity
  • 1Like

Xarpolis

Life's a Dream
Well, it seems the next villain after Infinity War 2 is going to be Mysterio. Complete change of pace. He's almost like the Scarecrow of the Marvel universe. I wonder if he'll keep the glass fishbowl style helmet?