Avengers: Infinity War (2018)

Merrith

Golden Baronet of the Realm
e638100c35c0a19cabb3ed7f1340715d.png

Not gonna happen w/ the crazy China opening weekend, it had a higher opening weekend than BP, and BP stopped at 100m cuz week2 Chinese ppl were like, "wtf too many black ppl, fuck this"

He said domestically

• 1Solidarity
  • 1Like
Reactions: 1 users

Papashlapa

Lord Nagafen Raider
i don't remember who said, but someone just pointed out the fundamental problem with doubling resources and it's not creating mass en masse. it's that the people who are going through their resources faster than they can be repleted will just double their consumption if they are given twice the resources. this is the biggest principle behind tax returns. people get a tax refund not to get them out of financial trouble, they get tax refunds because they will immediately go shopping for things they don't really need. the government does this on purpose so that more money goes into the economy.

This is untrue. People get tax returns because the government proactively deducts taxes throughout the year based on an estimation of your yearly income. If they overestimate your income, they overtax you and you get it back at the end of the year. You pay continuously rather than lump-sum at end of year because otherwise, people would frequently fail to properly save for their upcoming tax bill. Also it would be extremely unpopular politically because paying $12k at once feels worse than having $500 taken off your paycheck before you even receive it 26 times. There's also the issue of deductions, which are so popular because they allow you to take "spending" programs but keep them off budget. e.g. what's the difference between a $500 tax prebate for X group and a $500 direct payment to X group? Economically they are equivalent, but the latter occurs as government spending. The idea that governments give tax refunds so people will go shopping for things they don't really need is idiotic for more than one reason, but it's obviously idiotic when you realize that if they didn't give the tax rebate they could just spend the money themselves, so total spending is still the same.

Last edited:
  • 3Like
Reactions: 2 users

a c i d.f l y

ಠ_ಠ
<Silver Donator>
Thanks for that taxation clarification Papa. Ideally you shouldn't get a "tax return", as taxes deducted should match your income, but between hourly overtime, bonuses, etc, getting it exact is a challenge. That being said, the gov doesnt give "tax returns" to stimulate the economy. You get a return because you paid too much in taxes.

Stimulus packages are something else entirely, and really just applies a butterfly bandaid on a gushing wound. I think I bought a graphics card with the last one?

Anywho. This is the shit that's stupid about Wakanda. BP is cool, but Wakanda is fucking lame and literally just an excuse to have a change of scenery. They should have been armed like the fuckin Gunguns in Clone Wars, or better. Not digi-cloth shields and laserbeam spear chucking. Still, this is about as nitpicky as I can get with the movie. Warmachine represented the US military, took out more, as one person, lol. Fuckin Wakandans.

20nZBu2.jpg

• 3Like
  • 3Worf
  • 1Solidarity
Reactions: 6 users

Tuco

I got Tuco'd!
<Gold Donor>
I think the global box office totals will be just a bit lower than they might otherwise be. Why? There are some members of what should be the core audience who wont see this because they feel they fell too far behind with the movies. One of my best friends missed Dr Strange, Black Panther, and Thor Ragnarok and doesn't want to watch this until he catches up.
This is true and I think the general success of IW will increase dvd / netflix sales of the previous movies, which will even things out a lot.
Would have been funny if they did a quick of Hawkeye at his house seeing his family die at the end.
This would have been $$$$.
I always thought hulk had infinity strength cause if he was getting beat down he would just get madder and stronger.
Hulk has been super weak in the last couple movies. Which I think means he is going to be monstrous in the next one.

• 1Worf
  • 1Like

a c i d.f l y

ಠ_ಠ
<Silver Donator>
I told friends, seeing Ragnarok and Civil War are pretty much the only ones significantly related, and could honestly skip Black Panther entirely, but that Infinity War was absolute must see, fuck the rest.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Hatorade

A nice asshole.
Good movie, this may have been discussed already but

I don't understand the Dr Strange part. He saw all the futures but let the one plan that worked get fucked up. Unless them fucking up is the plan that works and the long game comment means they will all be restored, but if he blinks out of existence how does he see past that future he worked towards?

• 3Like

Seananigans

Potato del Grande
<Screenshotted>

I don't understand the Dr Strange part. He saw all the futures but let the one plan that worked get fucked up. Unless them fucking up is the plan that works and the long game comment means they will all be restored, but if he blinks out of existence how does he see past that future he worked towards?

My guess is they'll explain it as this is the one winning plan because it involves Stark being pissed at Strange for giving up the Time Stone, and then subsequently losing Parker. Probably makes him go all WRARGLEGARBLE mode and pull everyone together for the fix. Also something something Thor remembering to go for the head this time possibly. May lend credence to the rumors that IW2 takes place several years after IW1.

As for seeing past his own demise... Time Stone comic book magic? /shrug, non-issue for me, as long as they do some good subtle implications regarding the above, or whatever they go with for explaining why this is the winning timeline.

• 1Like

Quineloe

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
So my coworker is seeing this tonight and he's browsing 9gag right now.

is it okay if I spoil the whole thing for him now since he's about to do it to himself anyways?

Quineloe

Ahn'Qiraj Raider

I just assumed their part would always fail in all possible outcomes and Thanos was defeated somewhere else in that one exception. But if I were him, I'd just have opened one of these guillotine portals next to Thanos, put his arm in there and snap gone is the glove.

• 1Solidarity
  • 1Like

Needless

Toe Sucker
i just assumed that is the 'strategy that wins', but then in hindsight i dont think he actually told anybody what the actual strategy was to win? haha

• 1Like

BoozeCube

Von Clippowicz
<Screenshotted>
I swear some of you are probably the same fags who watched Lord of the Rings and were like why didn't the eagles fly the hobbits to destroy the ring.

• 5Worf
  • 1Salty
  • 1Solidarity
Reactions: 7 users

Dashel

Blackwing Lair Raider

It's been a while since I read the comics but....

I feel like that was central to the plot: Thanos will eventually sabotage his own plans somehow. His mind didn't allow him to feel worthy of all that power. Although if that's true he should always lose, not once in 14 million. I suppose he can always end up without the guantlet eventually but it's a matter of how much damage he does while he has it.

Still, whatever future Strange saw it would stand to reason Thanos had to win this battle for the Avengers to win the war. Maybe Thanos had to complete the guantlet so someone can eventually use it to restore everything back to normal. (Vision maybe?)

A lot is very different from the books already. No mistress Death, no Adam Warlock no Silver Surfer... no celestials or cosmic beings. No soul world... yet anyway. Who knows what they'll do.

IMO they are building towards Thanos helping in his own defeat. He was crying over Gamora. He thinks he is acting out of compassion in a twisted way.

I also think T'Chala's sister did something to Vision's infinity gem before she was interrupted. Some flaw built into it possibly."

• 1Like

a c i d.f l y

ಠ_ಠ
<Silver Donator>
It's been a while since I read the comics but....

I feel like that was central to the plot: Thanos will eventually sabotage his own plans somehow. His mind didn't allow him to feel worthy of all that power. Although if that's true he should always lose, not once in 14 million. I suppose he can always end up without the guantlet eventually but it's a matter of how much damage he does while he has it.

Still, whatever future Strange saw it would stand to reason Thanos had to win this battle for the Avengers to win the war. Maybe Thanos had to complete the guantlet so someone can eventually use it to restore everything back to normal. (Vision maybe?)

A lot is very different from the books already. No mistress Death, no Adam Warlock no Silver Surfer... no celestials or cosmic beings. No soul world... yet anyway. Who knows what they'll do.

IMO they are building towards Thanos helping in his own defeat. He was crying over Gamora. He thinks he is acting out of compassion in a twisted way.

I also think T'Chala's sister did something to Vision's infinity gem before she was interrupted. Some flaw built into it possibly."

In the comics, Nova, the other daughter, gets the glove from him, reverses everything he did, kills him, and hands the glove over to the Infinity Council, Iron Man, Strange, Warlock, and others, who disperse the gems. Which would serve well in this scenario as well, given how he tortured the shit out of her.

• 1Like
  • 1Seriously?

Chris

Potato del Grande
I swear some of you are probably the same fags who watched Lord of the Rings and were like why didn't the eagles fly the hobbits to destroy the ring.
This was explained really well in the MMO and you kind of see it in Return of the King. Sauron has a fear aura.

In the MMO some areas were gated by creepy Sauron shit like watcher statues, if you passed them you'd just run away in terror unless you met the prerequisites. In Return of the KIng, when Sauron sees Frodo in Mordor, Frodo immediatly collapses. Which is why Aragorn is important because he is a more credible threat and ringbearer than Frodo and draws Sauron's gaze away.

So if they flew on Eagles into Mordor, not only are there flying Ringwraith dinosaur beasts around, Sauron could literally just LOOK at them and take them out of the air.

• 3Like

Mahes

Ahn'Qiraj Raider

Actually that was explained. The Eye of Sauron could not only light an area up but it could also call the force of darkness and focus beam down any flying target near the mountain. Even if they had come around the back-side of the mountain, the opening was still on the front side and thus they would have been shot down. As to why Hpbbits were able to sneak in without the Eye noticing had to do with relative size. The eye has a difficult time discerning ground vibration with other such vibrations. This is not the case for wing beats.

Because of this, Flying was out of the question and only a small team(Read two) could possibly get past the eye.

Dammt, the response above me hit enter faster than me.

• 1Like

Fadaar

That guy
i just assumed that is the 'strategy that wins', but then in hindsight i dont think he actually told anybody what the actual strategy was to win? haha

Well that's the whole point about him staying silent about it, Back to the Future style. He can't spoil anything about the future because it runs an extremely high risk of some variable changing and fucking it all up.

• 1Like

Raes

Vyemm Raider

I've seen a couple people mention this "how can he see past his own death" thing, and I'm wondering if you guys are referencing some actual lore from the comics/previous movies or confusing this with some other movie/book's rules?

Concerning the "1 out of 14 million outcome", pretty sure the main requirement for that was Stark surviving, as someone mentioned previously.

• 1Like

pharmakos

soʞɐɯɹɐɥd
<Bronze Donator>
everything Dr. Strange did was obviously to set them on that 1 in 14 million path. can't believe there's even debate about it still at this point.

• 3Like