Avengers: Infinity War (2018)

a c i d.f l y

ಠ_ಠ
<Silver Donator>
Not every species / civilization is going to scale the same way that humans do as well. But if the snap forced a male:female ratio on region and almost 100% of the departed in China were males that might actually solve some problems. Assuming of course it was mainly the uneducated poor and not anyone with an IT job or higher. Just the poor, lower class people. Thanos for the 1%.
You're talking isolated and focused elimination. His efforts weren't so. Yeah, wipe out half the poor, but he also wiped out half the rich. China might be better off in the short term, but the end result doesn't actually change anything.

Ambiturner

Ssraeszha Raider
OK....
A) Once he has the time stone all he has to do it hop backwards in time to get the mind stone while it was still in the staff, at any given point, without the heroes having a chance to know to try to destroy it.
B) Destroying half of all life is at best a temporary solution. The whole problem is that population outpaces resources. All you'd do would be set the clock back some on population and have to wipe half the universe again in a few generations later. The starvation and suffering he was trying to "avoid" is the natural solution to the problem.
C) Strange's no cash having buddy lopped the arm off someone using a portal snapping shut, why didn't Strange do the same to him on Titan. lopping off the gauntlet, then poof, gauntlet either far away, or in a pocket dimension.

With all that said it's still a nice action popcorn flick. But I don't now put it on the level people were of "This is their Wrath of Khan/Empire". The other issue I had which is something of a "meta issue", even with it at original release, is that if they had wanted some real sustained drama they wouldn't have dusted characters they'd already announced sequels/etc for. If they had just wiped a TON of support characters there would have possibly been real suspense of people "not making it back.."

Nothing you listed is an actual plot hole. I don't think you know what the term means. Characters not making perfect decisions and a movie not explaining every detail do not fit into the criteria of "plot hole"

B is the most valid complaint, but Thanos's nickname is "The Mad Titan".

I also think Thanos only cares about saving the universe, not how efficiently someone's IT department runs or the demographics of China

• 3Like
Reactions: 2 users

Himeo

Vyemm Raider
I also think Thanos only cares about saving the universe, not how efficiently someone's IT department runs or the demographics of China

In the comics, when Thanos was a kid he was torturing bugs or some shit - as psychopaths do - and then a cute girl a few years older than him shows up and starts chatting. She's death, literally, the marvel version of the grim reaper.

Thanos falls in love with her, so he tries to impress Death by killing off everyone on his planet. Death shows up, but instead of being impressed she laughs at him for thinking it would impress her.

So, Thanos decides to kill off half the Universe because he wants to get some of that death pussy.

Unfortunately, Thanos gets friend-zoned because Death has the hots for Deadpool. Awkward.

This movie still sucks dick, btw. You people have no taste.

• 7Picard
  • 2Salty
Reactions: 8 users

Qhue

Trump's Staff
Damn in that image Death is a pretty lame ripoff of Raven from the Teen Titans in her classic outfit.

• 3Like

Lanx

<Prior Amod>
In the comics, when Thanos was a kid he was torturing bugs or some shit - as psychopaths do - and then a cute girl a few years older than him shows up and starts chatting. She's death, literally, the marvel version of the grim reaper.

Thanos falls in love with her, so he tries to impress Death by killing off everyone on his planet. Death shows up, but instead of being impressed she laughs at him for thinking it would impress her.

So, Thanos decides to kill off half the Universe because he wants to get some of that death pussy.

Unfortunately, Thanos gets friend-zoned because Death has the hots for Deadpool. Awkward.

This movie still sucks dick, btw. You people have no taste.
you'd rather Thanos be a lovesick retard, instead of someone just solving the problem of the bigger picture?

• 2Like
Reactions: 1 users

Himeo

Vyemm Raider
you'd rather Thanos be a lovesick retard, instead of someone just solving the problem of the bigger picture?

In both cases it's retarded. I'm pointing out what happened in the comics version of the character.

Thanos killing half of the universe didn't solve anything, merely delayed population expansion for one cycle.

• 1Salty
  • 1Like

Phazael

Confirmed Beta Shitlord, Fat Bastard
<Aristocrat╭ರ_•́>
Having a relatable villain is often more important than having relatable heroes. They will make or break the movie. Without this change, he is just another CGI big monster to fight. At that point Andy Dick could have stepped in for Brolin. Even Ledger Joker (arguably one of the better movie comic book villain adaptations) had a purpose to what he was doing and relatable traits, though he was completely unempathetic. The comic version, as originally written, would have not translated for shit and been retarded in the context of what they have built up. The best villains are the ones who you can see their point, in some way and this version of Thanos was essentially an eco terrorist or maybe Darwinist taken to the ultimate extreme. I honestly think he was the best part of the entire movie by a longshot and you can credibly make the argument that he was in the right and the hero of this movie. That's some solid story telling there, especially in the face of all the characters they had to try to cram in to this movie. Without that exchange with the Red Skull and Gamora death scene, he is just a dumb psycho who is just there to be a punching bag for the heroes (ala Steppenwolf).

• 3Like

TomServo

<Bronze Donator>
In both cases it's retarded. I'm pointing out what happened in the comics version of the character.

Thanos killing half of the universe didn't solve anything, merely delayed population expansion for one cycle.

HImeo is a_skeleton_02 without the humor.

• 2Worf
  • 2Like
Reactions: 3 users

Khane

Got something right about marriage
You also need to create a sense of urgency for there to be any tension and suspense.

If Thanos was looking to use the gauntlet to make some sort of algorithm to prevent population explosion where procreation rates were limited in direct correlation to life expectancy there wouldn't be a very compelling story to tell.

Thanos: "Hear me now. I have seen the future and we are all doomed. The decadence of species across the star systems will be the undoing of us all!"
Avengers: "Uh, alright bud. So what are you gonna do about it?"
Thanos: "I am scouring the galaxies in search of the infinity gems to use in this modified Nintendo Power Glove. Once I have collected them all I will be able to right this ship's course. I require yours earthlings. Do not resist, this is the only way."
Avengers: "What the fuck? We're not giving you shit. What exactly do you plan to do to fix this so called impending disaster?"
Thanos: "I will institute... a BABY TAX!"
Avengers: "Jesus Christ. Get out of here you freak."

• 2Worf

Lanx

<Prior Amod>

but the Thanos MCU rework is what makes him a great villian. He has a goal, that is entirely horrific, however he believes absolutely without a doubt is very magnanimous w/ his method of just random 50%.

He accomplishes his goal and has excellent follow-thru.

Does his 50% only delay the inevitable? or does it force a civilization towards new and different goals? I mean if a literal god made half the world disappear, maybe ppl would self reflect and think, "oh we gotta change shit up"

• 5Like
Reactions: 4 users

Seananigans

Honorary Shit-PhD
<Gold Donor>
Watched this last night, and I have to say I like it more every time. Fucking love Thanos and how they portray him in this. His facial expressions, getting impatient with people not understanding him, etc. Great stuff.

Re: the 50% wipeout not solving anything, I'm gonna call bullshit. There's basically only one relevant response to that happening (beyond the Avengers and co. trying to reverse it because they had direct involvement):

1) Society that knows who did it and why, which will be most "connected" societies (galactic Twitter and such) - gets their shit together for fear of it happening again if they don't.

Anything else is either a similar society getting angry and trying to go all Avengers on Thanos, but given Strange's 1 in 12million shit, they likely get their shit pushed in even harder for trying. Or, it's a primitive society that isn't connected to the galaxy at large; they're irrelevant for the time being, and once they grow technologically enough to get connected, they learn about this shit.

Thanos basically becomes God, and the peoples of the galaxy/universe either get in line or get their shit pushed in again eventually. That's the "bad guy wins" side of the scenario.

But ultimately, comic book movie, just enjoy it you fucks. It was pretty damn great, and it's Thanos's movie, which is awesome. They did him justice IMO, way better than the comics' version where he's just courting Death and being a fuckhead whilst doing so.

• 3Like
  • 2Solidarity

spronk

FPS noob
this cosplay is insane

and Thanos used the DENNIS system in the comics

3pmyafltxod11.jpg

• 6Worf
  • 2Like
  • 1Salty
Reactions: 8 users

Xarpolis

Life's a Dream
But what if the 50% of the Chinese group consisted of all 100% of the living Chinese females, as well as 20-25% of Chinese men? EXTINCTION LEVEL EVENT!

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Jive Turkey

Karen

Except now everybody knows that if they let populations get out of control and breed any more than a 1 to 1 replacement rate, he'll do it again. There's now a thread of death hanging over everyone's heads to maintain a sustainable population

• 2Like

Rod-138

Trakanon Raider
I havn't been to Walmart in about 12 years, but if half the people were gone then I'd consider it.

• 4Worf
  • 1Like

Valderen

Space Pirate
<Bronze Donator>
I just re-watched this and enjoyed it just as much as the first time. The interaction between Thor and the Guardians was so fun. Even having seen it, the "You should have gone for the head"...SNAP...was still awesome.

I can't wait for Avengers 4 and see how they'll resolve everything. I mean we know they will, I just hope it's done well and meaningful...just not reversing without any consequences. I hope there's a curveball in there that no one sees coming.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Big Phoenix

Pronouns: zie/zhem/zer
<Gold Donor>
So has anyone actually thought out the ramifications of simply disapearing half the people in the world? End result is a hell of a lot people than just half the people are removed?

Think about driving on a freeway and half the drivers in the cars vanishing. Everyone else gets to play bumper cars and die in car accidents or from explosions when that semi carrying gasoline slams into the back of a school bus full of children.

What about people in airplanes? Both pilots vanish. Plane flies until it crashes from running out of fuel killing everyone on it.

Think of all the industrial accidents that happened when half the construction workers disapeared when in the middle of doing something critical like repairing a dam.

What about someone in the middle of surgery and the doctor disapears?

Really shitty and short sighted plan.

• 2Solidarity
  • 1Like

taimaishoo

Golden Knight of the Realm
So has anyone actually thought out the ramifications of simply disapearing half the people in the world? End result is a hell of a lot people than just half the people are removed?

Think about driving on a freeway and half the drivers in the cars vanishing. Everyone else gets to play bumper cars and die in car accidents or from explosions when that semi carrying gasoline slams into the back of a school bus full of children.

What about people in airplanes? Both pilots vanish. Plane flies until it crashes from running out of fuel killing everyone on it.

Think of all the industrial accidents that happened when half the construction workers disapeared when in the middle of doing something critical like repairing a dam.

What about someone in the middle of surgery and the doctor disapears?

Really shitty and short sighted plan.

Maybe the snap actually accounts for these variables. Either way, I don't think someone that is okay with wiping out half the universe is worried about collateral damage.

• 2Like
  • 1Solidarity