Avengers: Infinity War (2018)

Pigbenis

Molten Core Raider
So I kept my 6 year old son home from school today and we saw it at a matinee. Such a cool fucking experience. He was not a fan of the ending lol.

My only beef was with the comic relief from the Guardians / Starlord. I felt like they could have toned that down a bit. Other than that it definitely lived up to the hype.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Xarpolis

Life's a Dream
If anyone wants to see/read the Movie Bill book that Regal Cinemas was giving out, I scanned the whole thing online. Enjoy.

• 8Like
Reactions: 7 users

J_Hurry

Molten Core Raider
Snagged a last second back row seat in a packed out matinee in Queens, NY (home of Peter Parker!). I haven't read a single post on this thread yet so that I can post a totally uninfluenced PoV. I'll read everything right after I submit this post.

Josh Brolin was nothing short of spectacular and most of the actors did fine but some of the acting in various scenes was just plain awful. Special effects...wow. I know it's easy to take CGI for granted these days but that was just superb on so many levels. Aside from opening/closing + select scenes, the bulk of it felt like a Guardians of the Galaxy sequel which felt a little odd but made sense too. Closing act was bonkers. Oh and...Rob Downey Jr is still the best.

Last edited:
  • 2Like
Reactions: 1 users

spronk

FPS noob
Saw it a second time today in XD, a few slow parts every now and then and the the entire Wakanda battle I thought was the weakest part of the movie but otherwise still really enjoyed it. Only one really minor thing I don't like about the story
I don't like how they destroyed an infinity stone. I am not a comic reader so maybe I am missing something but it should not be possible to destroy it, it should be a fundamental part of the universe so its like saying "lets destroy gravity". Vision figured out way too fast that Scarlet Witch could destroy it, just that whole concept felt wrong - I never really understood her powers exactly anyways but that kind of power seems even more powerful than a stone now. It set up the use of the time stone so I get why, but I wish it was written better.

• 2Solidarity
  • 1Like
Reactions: 2 users

rhinohelix

<Gold Donor>
This was a post I wrote on another forum but certainly captures a large chunk of my thoughts about the movie Are we really still doing spoilers?:

I don't so much care about one character but All New, All Different bleeding over from the comics to the MCU would be the end. Also, the real super hero in the MCU is Kevin Feige. Is there any other shared universe still working? Marvel is the only real game in town and may have just won movies. In contrast to the Last Jedi, this movie delivers.

Just got back from seeing this. Let me get a couple of things out of way: The action was great; the set piece fights were great; the CGI/Effects were great (Titan/Wakanda/New York/Edinburgh) This movie was infused with a sense of dread like no other super hero movie I have seen. Once Thanos started punching Hulk (great callback line by Loki, btw), you realize this is was a different level of threat. Towards the end, the desperation was palatable (M’Baku’s line about the “end of Wakanda”) and the way everyone fought on elevated the heroism on-screen.

The whole movie is infused and replete with great crossover interactions, and for such a dark movie, it had really great comedic moments. It was so tightly packed, and edited really well. I don’t know how they managed to keep all of those story lines in their lanes and understandable but they did.

The ending was so dark, though, mirroring Thanos’ opening dialogue. The ending was the Anti-Rapture and the imagery had echos of the Holocaust. Even knowing those characters have upcoming movies, it was part of Dr. Strange’s plan, etc., it still was chilling to watch all of those people turn to ash, for the people who cared about them to watch them turn to ash, to know that Thanos’ plan had come to fruition and trillions had died across the galaxy. Peter Parker’s death was particularly hard to watch. Honestly, I forgot about everything outside of the MCU world on the screen watching this and was completely in the moment. The meta didn’t lessen the blow of anything that was occurring.

I am really surprised, even at this stage, by the bloodthirstiness of the audience, though. Lots of people are immediately caterwauling about “how they will roll all of those deaths back”. If I want to see stories where horrible things can’t be undone, I don’t need movies/tv fictions to tell those tales, and I suspect (although I hope not) there will be permadeath in the MCU before the next movie ends.

The major failing of this movie is what you get when you do any non-stand alone part 1/part 2. I don’t care what Marvel calls it, these aren’t standalone at all. It ends on a cliffhanger and its a year until the story is resolved.

• 1Like

amigo

Lord Nagafen Raider
Saw it a second time today in XD, a few slow parts every now and then and the the entire Wakanda battle I thought was the weakest part of the movie but otherwise still really enjoyed it. Only one really minor thing I don't like about the story
I don't like how they destroyed an infinity stone. I am not a comic reader so maybe I am missing something but it should not be possible to destroy it, it should be a fundamental part of the universe so its like saying "lets destroy gravity". Vision figured out way too fast that Scarlet Witch could destroy it, just that whole concept felt wrong - I never really understood her powers exactly anyways but that kind of power seems even more powerful than a stone now. It set up the use of the time stone so I get why, but I wish it was written better.

Yeah, Wakanda was like bringing a knife to a gunfight; weakest part of the movie for me as well, felt so out of place.

Homsar

Bronze Baronet of the Realm
I cant take wakanda serious, most advanced country supposedly, and their army is equipped with fucking spears animal hides. Thousands of lvl 1 newbs running around trying to fight through sol ro and kill nagafen

Last edited:
  • 2Worf
  • 2Like
  • 1Picard
Reactions: 4 users

Harshaw

Throbbing Member

The stones have been destroyed and brought back in the comics. Also Scarlet's powers are derived from the stone so it is probably why she was able to destroy it.

• 1Like

Jait

Molten Core Raider
So I kept my 6 year old son home from school today and we saw it at a matinee. Such a cool fucking experience. He was not a fan of the ending lol.

My only beef was with the comic relief from the Guardians / Starlord. I felt like they could have toned that down a bit. Other than that it definitely lived up to the hype.

Totally agree. He’s at his best when he’s John Crichton’s retarded little brother. He went full retard in this at times. The Starlord thing with the guantlet felt like a WWF match where the tag team partner distracted the ref while he was pinned.

Starlord fat jokes were great. Glad to see a bit of turn from the PC bullshit.

• 1Like

Nola

Trakanon Raider
Yeah, Wakanda was like bringing a knife to a gunfight; weakest part of the movie for me as well, felt so out of place.
You must not know how powerful Wanda could be. Whenever you get a chance read the House of M novel.

Vanessa

Uncle Tanya
<Banned>
No need to rehash the virtually unanimous praise of the movie in this thread, but I will anyway: It was one of the best film experiences I've ever had the pleasure to indulge in.

What I, as a musician, found kinda interesting about the ending... I'm talking about the very last scene and last pieces of the score being played... is that the final chord played on the strings employs a Picardy Third. This is a technique in which a piece of music resolves its last chord to the parallel major tonic in a minor key. In layman's terms, a somber, sad, or melancholy feel that the music evokes is abruptly turned on its head only on the final chord into a bright, happy sounding resolution. Normally, music can and does transition from a minor to a major key often, but it's almost always done in an organic, flowing way through gradual modulation of shared tones, chords or melodic "hooks" over time, not instantaneously at the final tonic resolution. It sounds forced, hollow, disingenuous and "fake", and Picardy Thirds are rarely employed in modern music in this particular way... it's primarily a Baroque technique iirc. To quote the wiki entry:

"According to James Bennighof: "Replacing an expected final minor chord with a major chord in this way is a centuries-old technique—the raised third of the chord, in this case G♯ rather than G natural, was first dubbed a 'Picardy third' ("tierce de Picarde") in print by Jean-Jacques Rousseau in 1797 ... to express [the idea that] hopefulness might seem unremarkable, or even clichéd "

I realize this is a very pedantic analysis of such a cool moment, but I feel the chances of the composer employing this technique as mere whimsy or a happy accident instead of deliberately is quite slim. It gives a somewhat jarring, unexpected, and (possibly) uneasy resolution to the musical, and indeed emotional, landscape of what just happened in the movie. Its happy tone is an illusion of sorts, as the resolution is not given enough preparation (musically) to feel convincing.

Perhaps it's a musical reinforcement of the WTF that just played out before us... perhaps it's a final, sarcastic depiction of Thanos's emotions: brooding sadness through his ponderance of what he accomplished (what did it cost you... everything) yet a brief sense of shallow pride, victory and happiness, as indicated by his smirk... or perhaps it's just a simultaneously brilliant yet whimsical compositional gesture by the composer of the film without a deeper relevance at all.

Either way... just thought I'd share a unique perspective on this moment :)

• 6Like
Reactions: 5 users

Qhue

Trump's Staff
Remember that in the MCU Wanda is not a mutant but rather a living product of the Mind stone. Since her power derives from the Mind stone itself it makes some sense.

• 2Like
Reactions: 1 users

Nola

Trakanon Raider
Remember that in the MCU Wanda is not a mutant but rather a living product of the Mind stone. Since her power derives from the Mind stone itself it makes some sense.
That's true. Keep forgetting in the MCU she's not the child of Magneto.

Wombat

Trakanon Raider
Well if we're just going full on discussion:
Obviously we're in the 'winning' timeline; having Thanos say "You didn't even use your stone, derp" just makes him look foolish.
The Black Order was a pretty sizable miss; only Maw really registers, and he goes out like a chump. (Weren't they supposed to have big name Voice Actors?)
The Wakanda battle scene makes so little sense I was thinking there was a rewrite involved. "The Scarlet Witch will not kill her boyfriend and save half the fucking universe, so we will throw our lives away until she's happy."
I did like they we saw a couple Chitauri; that too-convenient Avengers 1 ending doesn't explain why we haven't seen any others since.
Not seeing Thanos wreck the Nova Corps was a disappointment; admittedly, it would be repetitive with him wrecking the Asgardians, and A4 may start with us seeing that from Captain Marvel's point of view.
Dinklage looked terrible.
Cap's crew having so little screen time seemed odd until the ending, when it became clear A4 is A1 redux.
I liked that the gauntlet showed clear damage after the snap. Almost as if someone(s) won't survive using it.
Ghost child Gamora was odd. I would guess we get a similar arc to the comic, but with Regret replacing Self-Doubt and Captain Marvel replacing Warlock?

DirkDonkeyroot

Blackwing Lair Raider
I think for me, Avengers 4 will be a let down.

Because Thanos was so awesome, and I don't want to see him loose. I want to see him live on his farm and raise some space pigs or some shit.

• 1Worf

Xarpolis

Life's a Dream
What I, as a musician, found kinda interesting about the ending... I'm talking about the very last scene and last pieces of the score being played... is that the final chord played on the strings employs a Picardy Third. This is a technique in which a piece of music resolves its last chord to the parallel major tonic in a minor key. In layman's terms, a somber, sad, or melancholy feel that the music evokes is abruptly turned on its head only on the final chord into a bright, happy sounding resolution.

Video removed. Look to my latest post in the thread for a more complete video.

Last edited:
  • 1Like

Harshaw

Throbbing Member
So this did 39 million opening night. They are projecting a 500 million global opening weekend.