Avengers: Infinity War (2018)

JVIRUS

Golden Knight of the Realm
Fantastic movie.

The detail added to Thanos' expressions stole the show for me.

When Thanos and Iron Man fight at the end...Thanos speaking to Stark after stabbing him, I was 100% convinced that big evil, purple fucker was real. Only Gollum and the T-1000 have sucked me into a story to the point where I felt like a kid again.

THEORYYCRAFT TIME---DO NOT CLICK if you don't want the NEXT FILM SPOILED, 100% SERIOUS IT REVEALS PLOT

I zoomed in big time on the final image....I am not so sure its Captain Marvel that was being signaled...
the real beeper.png

Hidden DEEP in the GUI layers of the image...Look at what I found!
he whom shall stoppeth Thanos.png

• 1Worf
Reactions: 1 user

Asshat wormie

2023 Asshat Award Winner
<Gold Donor>
Pretty good movie. Best part was when the universe had to randomly kill people, it chose the wakandian.

• 1Like

Jive Turkey

Karen
Fantastic movie.

The detail added to Thanos' expressions stole the show for me.

Thanos' expressions in general were great. They're getting really good at mapping the real actor's movements onto the CG model. There were a ton of tiny, nuanced expressions that made him seem real

Last edited:
  • 1Like

Warrik

Potato del Grande
<Donor>
For me, the reason I think Thanos is one of, if not THE best film villains, is because he actually isn't a villain. He has real motivations, and a pure intention beyond just being bat shit crazy or insane. He genuinely feels hes making the hard choice and taking the higher path to nobility. You actually sympathized with him. Hes misguided, and damaged, but at his heart, he truly feels he IS being merciful. This helped tremendously in bridging the gap between CGI and real emotions.

• 3Like
Reactions: 2 users

j00t

Silver Baronet of the Realm
uh. thanos is crazy. he's a sociopath to the very core. "Thanos the Mad Titan." he's very much a villian, but i think what you're doing is not so much describing a good villian, and more describing a good antagonist.

thanos is a GREAT antagonist because there's clear reasoning for his villainy. it's not just, "i'm a bad guy so i have to do bad things." he does bad things because he feels they are necessary evils to accomplish a tremendous good. there's even that great line by cap "We don't trade lives." I feel like that line probably wouldn't have meant nearly as much if someone else said it, but cap is a pillar of virtue. cap, probably more than anyone else in the movie (maybe even marvel comics) is the most diametrically opposed to thanos, philosophy wise, at least. it's true they are both looking to create good, but thanos is willing to sacrifice OTHERS accomplish his goals, without even considering the global cost. Cap would do the same thing in reverse. he'd sacrifice HIMSELF without even considering the personal cost.

MCU villains tend to be lacking because there was a decision from on high to focus on the heroes, instead of the villains. this was coming after the nolan batman films where after the first one, batman had little to no character growth because the focus wasn't on him. he had his story, now let's showcase his rogue's gallery. that makes sense from a story telling perspective, especially when you have guys like heath ledger and tom hardy in your film. you give them screen time because they are amazing actors.

marvel on the other hand didn't WANT to celebrate the bad guys. philosophically, i get it but it leaves very boring villains. the russo's, i think, got to make a big deal about the bad guy. which means theres just more substance to him

• 1Like

Khane

Got something right about marriage
On a scale of 1 to Cersei. How villainous is Thanos?

• 1Like
  • 1Worf
Reactions: 1 users

Ladro

Anomaly
I always crack up when people bring reality into these movies. Just have fun and enjoy the movie, man. But for those that argue Thanos should have just doubled everything, wouldn't doubling all the resources in the universe essentially double all stars & planets, and therefore cause solar systems implode? Another couple planets in our soloar system would totally fuck us up. Thanos' solution is much easier.

That’s kind of where my head was at. This is not trying to bring reality into something fictional but more of a thought experiment on the ramifications of doing it. Yes, the Reality gem is the loophole that lets Thanos alter reality and do whatever he wants, 2 + 2 = 5 kind of shit. However, if you simply doubled all resources you increase the mass of the universe and all hell would break loose because it came from nowhere. Gravity, planetary orbits, a stars nuclear reactions would all be off and more than likely catastrophic. Who knows. But of course it’s magic so it would all be fine because you changed reality to be how you desired it.

It’s a great loophole, just interesting to think about how it would actually work without it.

j00t

Silver Baronet of the Realm
i don't remember who said, but someone just pointed out the fundamental problem with doubling resources and it's not creating mass en masse. it's that the people who are going through their resources faster than they can be repleted will just double their consumption if they are given twice the resources. this is the biggest principle behind tax returns. people get a tax refund not to get them out of financial trouble, they get tax refunds because they will immediately go shopping for things they don't really need. the government does this on purpose so that more money goes into the economy.

Drakain

Trakanon Raider
The Movie didn't explain it as well as the Comics. In the lead up to Infinity Gauntlet, Thanos summons Silver Surfer and they go on a tour of the universe and look at different civilizations. He takes Surfer to Tokyo during the commute and witness the crowding and then look at the production of waste. Then he takes him to a planet of monkey type creatures and talk about how in a few decades, the population with have doubled and there will be clan warfare and death to compete for territory and food. Then he goes into the talk about how Mistress Death tries to keep a balance, and if he can kill half the population of the universe, it'll please her and restore balance. He takes Surfer back to the monkey planet and they are dying because of an Earth toxin that Surfer brought along. Thanos then says something about his way is better than natural death, etc...

pharmakos

soʞɐɯɹɐɥd
<Bronze Donator>
Speaking of Silver Surfer... He was listed in the cast before the movie hit theaters, and everyone guessed that it was just some misdirection on Marvel's part. Seems they were right!

spronk

FPS noob
Thanos should have killed half the universe and also implemented a new reality rule that whenever someone is born one of their parents dies (random). Think of all the hilarious hook up situations that would create

although mathematically i think that would lead to species shrinking

Khane

Got something right about marriage
He should have just used the infinity stones to create male birth control. Problem solved am I right boys?!

pharmakos

soʞɐɯɹɐɥd
<Bronze Donator>
Male birth control already exists, and it has way fewer side effects than female birth control. Back in the day when they invented both was when men were in charge of everything, so despite male birth control having fewer side effects they marketed the female stuff instead. It's one of the few genuine modern examples of the patriarchy dominating. That is the first time I've ever non-ironically used that word, btw. Shit is mostly equal in 2018, that's one of the few artifacts of the good ol boys club from the past. You'd think progressives would love this example and use it as a talking point more often, but it's mainly a piece of trivia that floats around people that are into pharmacology. :p

• 1Picard
  • 1Seriously?
  • 1Dislike
Reactions: 4 users

Malakriss

Golden Baronet of the Realm
Careful, half a quarter of the universe won't take that joke well.

• 2Worf
  • 1Like

Harshaw

Throbbing Member
Male birth control already exists, and it has way fewer side effects than female birth control. Back in the day when they invented both was when men were in charge of everything, so despite male birth control having fewer side effects they marketed the female stuff instead. It's one of the few genuine modern examples of the patriarchy dominating. That is the first time I've ever non-ironically used that word, btw. Shit is mostly equal in 2018, that's one of the few artifacts of the good ol boys club from the past. You'd think progressives would love this example and use it as a talking point more often, but it's mainly a piece of trivia that floats around people that are into pharmacology. :p

Pulling out hasn't failed me yet!

• 2Worf
  • 1Like