Awesome Games Done Quick 2016 - 2019

• Guest, it's time once again for the hotly contested and exciting FoH Asshat Tournament!

Go here and fill out your bracket!
    Who's been the biggest Asshat in the last year? Once again, only you can decide!

Caliane

Golden Baronet of the Realm
Yeah i turned it off real quick lol

You guys realize the autism overwhelms these dudes when it comes to shaving off time, they don't read text anyway, and switching to a moon rune version of the game means less text, which means less time overall
they could save more time playing a modded game, or not playing the game at all...

the point is, playing different versions of a game, is playing an entirely different game. And, the event, and the players can pick and choose which games are shown. They outright do. The same reason they don't just play the same games over and over. its an exhibition.
choosing to show games native to the US/Euro because those are the games the viewers will have had played, makes sense. playing some obscure version of a game they did not, does not make sense. Its the same reason there are categories, like glitch free, etc.. saving frames is not the end all be all. And most glitched runs are lame to watch.
"English version" should be a category, and every single game shown in AGDQ should be in that category.

legend of the mystical ninja guys apparently read the comments. "japanese version is faster, but we are playing the US version so the viewers can read it."

Last edited:
  • 1Solidarity
Reactions: 1 user

spronk

FPS noob
How are they doing on donations compared to previous years? Seems pretty low.

They raised $2.222m in 2017
Awesome Games Done Quick 2017 -- Index
So far they have raised $644k i assume based on # of donations they are less than halfway thru?
Awesome Games Done Quick 2018 -- Index

so uh yeah but i dunno how many more days this thing is going

i donated $500 last year but $0 this year and no more until they allow everyone to mock the ugly trannies freely again. FREE THE PLEBS

Last edited:
  • 1Like
  • 1Worf
Reactions: 1 users

Koushirou

Log Wizard
<Gold Donor>
I think it's Sunday->very early Sunday morning so that's over halfway through. The back half does usually have an uptick of donations, but they also don't have the Metroid race this year which usually brought in some big boy donations, especially right before the run. Definitely feels lower than usual this year, though.

pharmakos

soʞɐɯɹɐɥd
<Bronze Donator>
I can't believe anyone is arguing in favor of the foreign versions of these games. The whole point of this event is the donations to charity, right? You're going to get more donations if you draw in more viewers, and since this is an American event you're going to get more viewers with the English language versions. Do speedruners often play foreign language versions of games? Yes. Should they do it at an American cancer benefit? Hell no.

• 2Solidarity

Croetec

Lord Nagafen Raider
Hoping the Prey run is good, loved the mechanics in that game and I can only assume they have some crazy tech for running it.

Brikker

Trump's Staff
seems like it's entirely a glitching-through-walls thing. 15 minute estimated time for the entire game?

Croetec

Lord Nagafen Raider
Yeah those runs are the worst and shouldn't even be a thing anymore, they have so much time to fill why even bother with 12 min runs on games like Prey.

Noodleface

A Mod Real Quick
I can't believe anyone is arguing in favor of the foreign versions of these games. The whole point of this event is the donations to charity, right? You're going to get more donations if you draw in more viewers, and since this is an American event you're going to get more viewers with the English language versions. Do speedruners often play foreign language versions of games? Yes. Should they do it at an American cancer benefit? Hell no.
My counter argument is no one reads the text

• 2Solidarity

pharmakos

soʞɐɯɹɐɥd
<Bronze Donator>
My counter argument is no one reads the text
562648.gif

Mures

Blackwing Lair Raider
Even it if was in English many text scrolls go by so fast you couldn't read it even if you wanted to.

• 1Solidarity

Szlia

I encourage people unhappy with the fact speedruns are speedruns to organize a nostalgia 'let's play' marathon. I would watch that too for sure, but that would be another event. A GDQ is as much about familiarity (games you know, runs you know, runners your know, etc) than unfamiliarity (games you don't know, games you know played in a way you would not have thought possible, runners you don't know, etc).

About the viewers, I am sure many people who are not familiar with speedrunning check the event and donate, but you have to realize that all these runners are also streamers with their own community. There is a lot of overlap between those of course, but still, with 150ish streamers having runs at the event, many streamers at the event and hosting the GDQ stream and many Twitch viewers who follow speedrunners in general and as such are familiar with this type of content, it's not very obvious what part of the 150k-ish viewers are usual speedrun watchers.

PS: CovertMuffin? More like CocainCoveredMuffin! Very enthousiastic and fun run of Star Wars: Jedi Knight - Jedi Academy.

Kiroy

Marine Biologist
<Bronze Donator>
Re viewers they're down to probably 70k actual speed run viewers and around 80k people just going to a free circus show.

• 1Worf

Tanoomba

ジョーディーすれいやー
<Banned>
The Ori race was awesome. Several frame-perfect tricks and great commentators.

Koushirou

Log Wizard
<Gold Donor>
Yeah, watching Ori speedruns always impresses the hell out of me. Vulajin's a guy I used to raid with way back in WotLK and is super nice. Cool to see him during these runs.

• 1Like