Awesome Games Done Quick 2016 - 2019

Tanoomba

ジョーディーすれいやー
<Banned>
Every year provides cringe moments, but this Metal Gear Solid 3 run. Holy shit.

• 1Picard
Reactions: 1 user

gshurik

Tranny Chaser
<Gold Donor>
I am not watching this year, GDQ is taking itself too seriously. They, like so many other 'industry' types, have forgotten that most people play, and watch, video games for fun. It is only a small selection, and many of the runners themselves, who take it 'that' seriously.

It isn't fun to watch anymore, it isn't about having fun watching video games with others who like video games.

It isn't about the games anymore, it's about the 'sport' and 'message'.

It's not fun.

I'd argue that it has always been about the sport with Speedrunners. They want a good time even if they're in a marathon setting. You'll rarely get someone willing to do a risky strategy for the show of it, but generally speedrunners are competitive by nature and want to beat their PBs.

This is normally fine though, it adds a charged atmosphere that builds hype and makes you invested in the run. The problem is that most runners are scared to swear or even say something slightly off key because they can be phased out completely from one of the biggest running events out there. They might not make money from it, but the exposure new runners get through SGDQ and AGDQ is a huge deal.

• 1Solidarity

Szlia

There was an interesting bit between runs about the way GDQ works. Basically they are organizing a fundraiser for a charity (Prevent Cancer in winter, Doctors Without Borders in summer), so they make a budget for the event, submit it to the charity and, if they are ok with it, the charity pays the lion's share of the budget (GDQ also get some money from T-Shirt sales, youTube ads, Twitch ads and Twitch subscriptions) and once the event is done, the charity gets 100% of the donations. The last SGDQ operative costs were 10% of the amount it raised, which is amazing as it's not unusual for fundraisers to have them be at about 50%.

So basically, even if donations were magically halved, it would still be an extremely efficient fundraiser. The only thing that could push charities away is if it became an image problem to be associated with GDQ. That is the only reason why they try to keep things PG: being sure they can gather the budget to run the next events.

• 2Like
Reactions: 1 users

TBT-TheBigToe

Gemcutter
<Gold Donor>
I'd argue that it has always been about the sport with Speedrunners. They want a good time even if they're in a marathon setting. You'll rarely get someone willing to do a risky strategy for the show of it, but generally speedrunners are competitive by nature and want to beat their PBs.

This is normally fine though, it adds a charged atmosphere that builds hype and makes you invested in the run. The problem is that most runners are scared to swear or even say something slightly off key because they can be phased out completely from one of the biggest running events out there. They might not make money from it, but the exposure new runners get through SGDQ and AGDQ is a huge deal.

There is taking the run seriously and then there is putting on a show for an audience you want to donate money while still putting on a good run. I get that they are competitive however GDQ is not a competition..

It's an exhibition.

And it is becoming an exhibition of some of the worst aspects of the gaming 'scene'. The nerd mentality that EVERYONE has to take the run as seriously as the runner does. Fuck. Off. Learn to do that run with people squawking shit from the audience or step the fuck off and let someone fun do the run. Like we used to do in the arcades beating high scores or running through challengers on Street Fighter 2.

Do your PB's on twitch, YouTube, or and the rest. If you can do it live AWESOME however it will never be a sport until they realize that the audience watches to be entertained, not because they are part of the competition.

Guess what I am saying is that GDQ seems unable to see beyond itself, not saying they shouldn't take the runs seriously. They just need to remember that if it isn't fun to watch (and runs involving deliberate reloading i.e. Bloodborne any% are not as fun to watch as a more 'legit' run that showcases not only the runners skill but the game itself) people won't watch and if they don't watch they don't donate.

Just my opinion.

Amzin

Lord Nagafen Raider
People complain about the seriousness of the runners every year, and it really hasn't shifted a whole lot - I think some of them have relaxed a bit but it's a case-by-case basis as it was year 1. These aren't people where their 8-12 hour days are spent building up social / show skills, when they stream they're usually focusing on the runs, unlike the majority of "normal" streamers that are doing it to be an entertainer. Every year, everyone's favorite runs are the ones where there's either interesting chatter from the couch or the runner themselves, it hardly even matters what or how the game is, but there's only so many of those people you can find in a niche wing of a not-that-universal hobby.

I actually did enjoy the Hollow Knight run a lot and it's my favorite game of 2017 but it's not really the kind of thing that you'd enjoy watching too many times. That's part of the problem too - the nature of speed runs handicaps how many games are actually viable for AGDQ and in what way. You can't show Skyrim or most RPGS, in a non-ridiculous way or else you get the 3 hour runs. People complain about the 3 hour RPG runs, too, and honestly with good cause, even the more entertaining runners have trouble with fucking 3 hours straight of keeping it interesting.

I am treating it the same as every time, I look at the schedule, I throw on the stream then or find VoDs, and if they end up boring I mute it for a while or watch a different video. By that measure it still seems fine.

• 1Like

TJT

Mr. Poopybutthole
<Gold Donor>
AGDQ sucks now even looking past all the SJW faggoteering.

The games they chose are old and boring, they chose bullshit like Hollow Knight that consists of people ACTIVELY FUCKING AVOIDING PLAYING THE GAME. Who wants to watch this shit? Everyone loves the Super Metroid and Mega Man X stuff because those games take a lot of skill and practice, but they still show all the great things about the game. Dark Souls was the same way up to the point in every game where they overpowered magic and fucking dominated the rest of the way. The Bloodborne run is fantastic. But aside from that, they queue up a shitload of games that nobody gives a fuck about and suck to watch.

Someone let me know if they ever get a good game line up again or if another org comes along that actually makes this fun again.

Battleblock Theater and Rayman were good runs.

Noodleface

A Mod Real Quick
I think my favorite run of all time was the dude last year that did Jedi academy and sounded like he was on speed

• 1Solidarity

TJT

Mr. Poopybutthole
<Gold Donor>
People complain about the seriousness of the runners every year, and it really hasn't shifted a whole lot - I think some of them have relaxed a bit but it's a case-by-case basis as it was year 1. These aren't people where their 8-12 hour days are spent building up social / show skills, when they stream they're usually focusing on the runs, unlike the majority of "normal" streamers that are doing it to be an entertainer. Every year, everyone's favorite runs are the ones where there's either interesting chatter from the couch or the runner themselves, it hardly even matters what or how the game is, but there's only so many of those people you can find in a niche wing of a not-that-universal hobby.

I actually did enjoy the Hollow Knight run a lot and it's my favorite game of 2017 but it's not really the kind of thing that you'd enjoy watching too many times. That's part of the problem too - the nature of speed runs handicaps how many games are actually viable for AGDQ and in what way. You can't show Skyrim or most RPGS, in a non-ridiculous way or else you get the 3 hour runs. People complain about the 3 hour RPG runs, too, and honestly with good cause, even the more entertaining runners have trouble with fucking 3 hours straight of keeping it interesting.

I am treating it the same as every time, I look at the schedule, I throw on the stream then or find VoDs, and if they end up boring I mute it for a while or watch a different video. By that measure it still seems fine.

In all honesty runs that do shit like clipping or excessive warping or whatever are lame as fuck to watch and stupid. Like has been said. The Hollow Knight run was shit because the dude floated around avoided actually have to play the platform game like platform game.

Rayman/Battleblock theater/Megaman/etc seeing them expertly jump around and abuse speed lock mechanics while avoiding projectiles and speeding through the maps. That is badass.

• 2Solidarity
Reactions: 1 users

Needless

Toe Sucker
not gonna lie, trihex's chat makes me laugh. Whenever a tranny is on screen and the chat just starts monkaS'ing and the mods telling the chat to hold the line cracks me up

TJT

Mr. Poopybutthole
<Gold Donor>
Lol, the chat is pretty funny right now. That ugly bitch without even a mic just sitting there taking up space while the caster on the right is squeezed into a really uncomfortable position.

Angerz

Trakanon Raider
Lol, the chat is pretty funny right now. That ugly bitch without even a mic just sitting there taking up space while the caster on the right is squeezed into a really uncomfortable position.

And the person doing the most commentary appears to not even be on screen? I had to turn it off.

Juvarisx

Florida
Yea they wanted to do a tranny couch and they dont even talk, commentary is offscreen. Trihex's chat is hysterical atm

Derkon

Trakanon Raider
God damn and I thought I was strange playing fucking D&D on the weekends with buds in higschool. This shit is just fucking weird and my brain doesn't understand it.

Edit: The person in the blue sweater is supposed to be a "she"? ok..

ronne

Nǐ hǎo, yǒu jīn zi ma?
This whole metroid run is weaponized autism. Holy shit.

Over/under on how many of these trannies on the couch/commentary have an herod in the next 10 years?