Babylon 5

Goatface

Every time I come to this thread its in the hopes of an HD remaster.

1611682148004.png

details in the article don't seem that promising.

• 2Like
  • 2Mother of God
  • 1Jonesing
Reactions: 4 users

Malakriss

Golden Baronet of the Realm
4:3 but if it's at least HD quality scaled to 4K that's better than 480p.

• 1Solidarity
Reactions: 1 user

spronk

FPS noob
Yeah I just downloaded rips all 5 seasons in 1080p format, 58 gigs a season so 300 gigs total almost, compared to 10 gigs a season for the older 480p VUDU rips. Quality is definitely better but its still 4:3 and the CGI is upscaled, not remastered.

Still great to have, as far as I know the "remaster" is digital only on HBO max or 🏴‍☠️ 🏴‍☠️

• 1Like

Hoss

Make America's Team Great Again
<Gold Donor>
Was Delenn the first tranny character on TV?

• 2Worf
  • 1Seriously?
Reactions: 2 users

Lodi

Blackwing Lair Raider
Yeah I just downloaded rips all 5 seasons in 1080p format, 58 gigs a season so 300 gigs total almost, compared to 10 gigs a season for the older 480p VUDU rips. Quality is definitely better but its still 4:3 and the CGI is upscaled, not remastered.

Still great to have, as far as I know the "remaster" is digital only on HBO max or 🏴‍☠️ 🏴‍☠️
Do you want this to be stretched to 16:9? I'd prefer they just maintain the default aspect ratio and not stretch the image.

a c i d.f l y

ಠ_ಠ
<Silver Donator>
certainly not the best way to compare with youtube compression
Dammit, I should have waited just a little big longer to re-watch this. This looks great. Color change in some of the scenes is odd, but in sure I wouldn't have noticed if it weren't side by side.

• 1Like

Angerz

Trakanon Raider
was the babylon 5 masters on film? and not cheap vhs like voyager?
Babylon 5 was on film and WB has all of it except the pilot movie, who's film was destroyed in an earthquake, I believe.

They used the film for these remasters and I think it's in 4:3 so they didnt have to redo the CGI, just upscale it. They could fully redo it if they wanted to; as far as I know Babylon 5 was shot on film and kept the whole 16:9 frame clean to accommodate widescreen, since it was coming into popularity at the time. But the CGI was not created for it, so thats why we get 4:3 remaster.

Malakriss

Golden Baronet of the Realm
Nothing with a hundred episodes is going to get the ST:TNG treatment, simply not cost effective.

• 1Like

Chanur

Shit Posting Professional
<Gold Donor>
Been enjoying this. Its definitely not like a high quality remaster but it is much improved over the DVDs amd previous quality. I don't think we will ever get better and I am so thankful to get this.

• 1Like

a c i d.f l y

ಠ_ಠ
<Silver Donator>
How's the sound quality? When I last watched it definitely sounded like I was watching an old VHS recording.

Last edited:

Rhanyn

Blackwing Lair Raider
FoH, always delivering gifts when least expected. I always wanted to pick this show up and watch it, but couldn’t get past how terrible it looked in SD. I had seen several episodes out of order and context when I was a kid, and have always been intrigued. I’m 6 episodes in now on HBO, and can’t believe I’ve slept on this show for so long.

• 3Like
Reactions: 2 users

TomServo

<Bronze Donator>
Season 1 is the weakest, but don't listen to the meme that you should skip it. like only one really bad episode which is the blood sport ripoff, but still not horrible.

• 1Like

spronk

FPS noob
There are apparently a few minutes missing from the current HBO/Amazon/etc HD versions, and some minor artifacting and audio issues people have reported. Supposedly another pass is gonna be done for the bluray releases done this spring. The HBO one is the best one to watch for now, but for collections and stuff may wanna hold off.

• 1Like