Baldur's Gate 3 by Larian Games

Lunis

Blackwing Lair Raider
Idk how they are going to balance a class like the bard with only having a group size of 4. Just seems like it would be taking up a slot for one of the core classes.

j00t

Silver Baronet of the Realm
my DM has a contract that he makes all new players read over. it sounds much more strict than it really is, but it goes over what is to be expected from both the players and the DM. the rules we have aren't about the kinds of games we play (more tactical vs character driven, silly vs serious, etc) it's about how the players conduct themselves. at the end of the day it's a game that we get together to have fun with, and if someone isn't having fun then it needs to be addressed.

my DM is running like 4 games concurrently (we meet weekly, the others less frequently). our game is almost always pretty screwed up in that he takes a very serious tone (with definite comedic relief) and has trained us to take our decisions incredibly seriously because there are ALWAYS consequences. we joke around about how he's given us PTSD because sometimes it feels like there are no right choices. Whatever we decide to do is going to end up making things worse.

but that's also what we signed up for. everytime we start a new campaign we spend a lot of time talking about what kind of game we want, and we all chose a game of thrones type game where everyone is morally gray and anyone can die at any moment. we make allies with npc's, become emotionally connected with them and they get killed.

BUT he's also running a "disney princesses" game for some of the players' wives. it's exactly what you think it is. he runs through his own versions of disney stories, it's almost like kingdom hearts? without the nonsensical plot... He's not really into disney, but he also knows that if he can get some of the wives to "buy" into DnD night, then they'll be much more forgiving about lettng their husbands play.

point is, it doesn't matter what kind of game you play as long as everyone had fun. one of the players in my game really enjoys combat more than anything... he likes everything else, but combat is the only thing that clicks for him, so to speak. so my DM always tries to have at least a little bit of combat every session. we've had games without combat that we all enjoyed, so it's not like he's a killjoy if there's no combat.. just that's his thing.

i DEFINITELY think there's an art to DM'ing. you have to plan the whole session, even if you're just pulling straight out of a book there's stuff you need to do beforehand. you also have to be able to read the room and make sure things are going smoothly. if you can get yourself a reputation in the community as being a professional about it, good for you

• 4Like
Reactions: 3 users

j00t

Idk how they are going to balance a class like the bard with only having a group size of 4. Just seems like it would be taking up a slot for one of the core classes.
bards are awesome in the right hands. they cover so much ground... they can be the rogue, the cleric and the mage all in one class. obviously not as strong as one of those on their own, but they do great work. my current group is 4 players, champion fighter, hexblade warlock, a homebrew cleric class that uses spells like a sorcerer, and a college of eloquence bard. the bard doens't have a TON of things to do during combat but he is SOOOOO handy to have around. he's useful in every encounter

TJT

Mr. Poopybutthole
<Gold Donor>
I enjoy character roleplaying the most when playing and not DMing. Because of that, I end up playing Bard, Wild Magic Sorcerer (my favorite), or Paladin often. Just because I enjoy them the most.

For my super silly beer and DND group I was a bard who inherited his fathers magical cowbell instrument. That I brought with me and used for my, "songs." I was never too annoying with actually hitting the stupid thing but I definitely played it up about my virtuoso capabilities. The DM in that group thought it was hysterical and put a ton of restrictions on my cowbell but also made it powerful enough to go through the campaign without needing a new instrument. As it was part of my roleplay.

I think the least enjoyable tabletop I played was a Star Wars one, where I played a Tera Kasi Master specifically trained to fight faggot jedi (light or dark) and he just said that my anti-Jedi bonuses actually didn't do anything because it was mundane. Bullshit.

a_skeleton_05

<Banned>
The game is good enough that I want to keep playing through what's there so far, but also good enough that I don't want to spoil the end product. My only real complaint of what I'm seeing so far is that 4 is too small a party, and they need to implement a party roll check feature instead of only using your currently controlled one.

j00t

I enjoy character roleplaying the most when playing and not DMing. Because of that, I end up playing Bard, Wild Magic Sorcerer (my favorite), or Paladin often. Just because I enjoy them the most.

For my super silly beer and DND group I was a bard who inherited his fathers magical cowbell instrument. That I brought with me and used for my, "songs." I was never too annoying with actually hitting the stupid thing but I definitely played it up about my virtuoso capabilities. The DM in that group thought it was hysterical and put a ton of restrictions on my cowbell but also made it powerful enough to go through the campaign without needing a new instrument. As it was part of my roleplay.

I think the least enjoyable tabletop I played was a Star Wars one, where I played a Tera Kasi Master specifically trained to fight faggot jedi (light or dark) and he just said that my anti-Jedi bonuses actually didn't do anything because it was mundane. Bullshit.
that's great. when we were in avernus for a few sessions, we ran into a trades demon. he basically looked like one of those super shady street salesman that wear trenchcoats and when they open their coat it's full of stolen watches... anyway, the DM let us buy custom items that were up to +2 category and our bard was like... i need an instrument... hit me up with your best slide whistle. so he's got an "instrument of the bards" type slide whistle. it's exceedingly wonderful

Kharzette

Watcher of Overs
When I played some 5th at dragoncon, the other party members could try to assist someone making a roll. I don't remember how it worked really. I blame drink.

Caliane

5e bards are basically Sorcerers, but better. not buff bots, of older dnd/pathfinder.
they have arguably better spells then sorcs, better healing then clerics. at least mid combat. and pretty good with a sword too. song of rest, countercharm, bardic inspiration...
cutting word/healing word are stupid good.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Chris

Potato del Grande
You don't have at least a little combat every session? SOLID INDEED SIR, SOLID INDEED.
Sounds like they are spending 5 hours jerking each other off and making dexterity checks to seen if their asshole can avoid an approaching dick.

• 1Worf
  • 1Faggotry
  • 1WTF
Reactions: 2 users

TJT

Mr. Poopybutthole
<Gold Donor>
Combat is fun and all and but the glory of tabletop is that you can have absurd fun and tons of dice rolling without swinging some swords around.

That kind of guy at the table is just going to be a murderhobo which is the bane of many campaigns.

• 3Like
Reactions: 2 users

Pasteton

Blackwing Lair Raider
Took a lot of self control not to get this. You guys doing yourself a disservice burning out on early access

• 1Truth!
  • 1Pathetic
  • 1Picard
Reactions: 3 users

TJT

Mr. Poopybutthole
<Gold Donor>
It actually made me more excited about the finished game.
I really hope they have a full campaign editor too. Think of the modules!

The other newer CRPGs have them so I certainly hope so. Kingmaker is supposed to have one coming or something?

• 1Like

Grabbit Allworth

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
Sounds like they are spending 5 hours jerking each other off and making dexterity checks to seen if their asshole can avoid an approaching dick.
I thoroughly enjoy combat, but it needs a purpose. If the combat in a game isn't the consequence of meaningful conflict or it doesn't further the narrative, it gets old fast. Pointless combat is one of the hallmark tells for players with relatively little D&D experience. Most experienced players actually get irritated when rookie players get them drawn in to hour long combat sessions that have no real significance.

if I had to guess, 70-75% of my sessions have 1 or more combat scenarios. Ya, that sounds about right. About once a month (we play every week) we won't have traditional combat. Conflict still happens, but it gets resolved in innumerable other ways: bribery, lies, threats, politics, avoidance (flight, teleportation, invisibility, etc), etc, etc, etc.

• 1Like

Grabbit Allworth

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
I really hope they have a full campaign editor too. Think of the modules!

The other newer CRPGs have them so I certainly hope so. Kingmaker is supposed to have one coming or something?
I think Larian said they're going to allow it though I'm not certain. I certainly hope so. There are some amazingly talented people that create jaw-dropping content when given the opportunity. The modding community kept games like NWN I/II relevant for a loooog time.

I actually just finished Kingmaker (150 hours played) and I would love to see what an editor would bring.