Baldur's Gate 3 by Larian Games

Nola

Trakanon Raider
I can't wait until they add in paladin, barbarian and druid. I really want to play circle of the moon druid. Paladin is my favorite fantasy class and hopefully one day they will implement "Xanathars guide to Everything" in BG3 for conquest paladin subclass, forge domain for clerics and Hex blade for warlocks.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

rush02112

Golden Knight of the Realm
I can't wait until they add in paladin, barbarian and druid. I really want to play circle of the moon druid. Paladin is my favorite fantasy class and hopefully one day they will implement "Xanathars guide to Everything" in BG3 for conquest paladin subclass, forge domain for clerics and Hex blade for warlocks.

Conquest Pally is fun on tabletop. Recently did LMoP and unfortunately my conq pally died near the end but I really hope I can recreate in bg3. I am sure if the subclass isnt officially released someone will mod it in (at least that is my hope).

But in game also depends on how they handle the different types of frighten. Right now the frighten they use in game forces you to run away which if you read the 5e condition, it does not state you have to move away only you cant move closer. Also specific spells have different ways that you can or can not get rid of frighten and each plays its part for a conq pally. I do not think they will implement different versions of the frighten condition simply because it is too complicated for non 5e folks

j00t

Silver Baronet of the Realm
"frighten" REALLY needs to be separated into two different debuffs in 5e. frighten from dragonfear is what specifically makes you run away until you can't see the source. regular frighten (from almost every other source) gives the player disadvantage on everything as long as they see the source and can't move closer to it.

conquest paladin is SOOOO fun with fear

• 2Like
Reactions: 1 users

rush02112

Golden Knight of the Realm
If you really look at the options a conq pally has to cause fear, each has its own way of breaking said fear.

1) Conq presence (30 ft radius) is wis save at end of turn, or break line of sight
2) Wraithful Smite (single target, c)is use an action to make a wis check (not save)
3) Fear (30 ft cone, c) ends its turn where it can see you or wis save at end of turn

All saves and checks are at disadv. such a fun subclass!

but yeah, frighten in bg3 needs to be separated into fear (makes them run) & frighten

Caliane

well charm works like that too. Charm condition itself doesnt do much. But most of the spells that charm, Charm, and specify a mind control effect. That range from , this guy is pretty cool, to you must obey what they say.

Ikkan

Molten Core Raider
So I'm looking for something new to play until Velious opens on Rizlona - is this worth it right now, or is it too buggy being in early access?

Burns

Golden Baronet of the Realm
So I'm looking for something new to play until Velious opens on Rizlona - is this worth it right now, or is it too buggy being in early access?

It's a true alpha and they only let you play the first 1/3 of the game with about half the base classes, of which less than half (?) the sub-classes, are implemented. There are bugs, crashes, and NYI item, but they aren't all that distracting. They wont be adding the second or third maps to the game until release, but I think they will add the other classes/sub-classes over the months. Full release is planed for 4Q 2021.

Nola

Trakanon Raider
One thing is pissing me off is that the monster AI attacks the lowest AC (armor class) player. I had Gale in my party and I noticed monsters by passing or completely ignoring my frontline (tanks) character and going balls deep on Gale. He always seemed to be the primary target.

Also the surface damage with cantrips. They really need to revert it back to doing damage only and not applying surface damage. There has been times when I would cast firebolt and my party member would also take damage. Really dumb If you ask me. I dealt with enough surface damage in DoS2 (necrofire anyone?) and don't want to deal with in BG3 unless I chose to. Someone mentioned making cantrips apply the surface damage an option to the player. Nonetheless having fun and can't wait until they add more classes and races.

• 1Like

TJT

Mr. Poopybutthole
<Gold Donor>
yeah, that doesnt seem right. 1d6 for every 10ft, max of 20d6. so 120 should be the MAX fall damage.
and that fall only looked like 60-70 ft in the first place, tops.

Minotaurs have 6int. so would fall for that easy enough. although, not sure how the hell they won a str check vs a minotaur for a push.
18str
Also, shove is 5ft, not 20ft.

non-combat combat is a thing in pnp dnd. and something the crpgs have always had a hard time with. the problem is the map doesn't change, so any non-combat solution you come up with, will always be the same easy win, everyone can do. so, in pnp its thinking outside the box. in crpg, its the correct solution.

another issue, is the AI will never use these tactics on players.

Also, looking at the vid.. in game, "shoving an unsuspecting target always succeeds." and "up to 4m". well 4m is a heck of alot more then 5ft. and invis shoving always succeeding is certainly very op.
This is much less of a problem than you think. Although it certainly is a problem. For those that don't replay games and closely follow guides they may not even stumble upon the non-combat options. Friend of mine played through all of Dragon Age: Origins as if it was an ARPG for example because he was 15 or something at the time and didn't realize how you were supposed to play.

If you do replay these games you look for increasingly ridiculous ways to resolve them. Not just the fastest dialog box. See Baldur's Gate 2 Sword Saint/Wizard solo builds. Or Barbarian solo builds.

Qhue

Trump's Staff
They have apparently sold a million copies on Steam. This would align with their statement that sales were 'insane'.

Punko

Macho Ma'am
<Rickshaw Potatoes>
They have apparently sold a million copies on Steam. This would align with their statement that sales were 'insane'.

I haven't read about this game supporting BLM and LGTBBQ so surely 80% of buyers will rightfully demand refunds.

j00t

well... all the origin characters are variations of "selfish asshole" except for the black guy, who is trying to get out from under a (white) devil who is using him so the devil can get more powerful.

• 2Barf

Grabbit Allworth

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
well... all the origin characters are variations of "selfish asshole" except for the black guy, who is trying to get out from under a (white) devil who is using him so the devil can get more powerful.
I've played the EA for 80+ hours now and that dude has never been in my party.

• 1Like

j00t

wyll? is that because you don't want him in your party or because you didn't know?

j00t

no i don't tihnk it sounded racist, honestly. i think this game has a party problem in that the characters don't fit all that well together. i know that's part of the narrative, but if you're like me, you want a balanced party and it's not entirely obvious how to do that. if you are using gale, who kind of endears himself more than any other character, then there's not a huge reason to use wyll. at least at the moment. he's probably a hexblade, but that's not in the game yet so he doesnt' even fully make sense anyway.

Nola

Trakanon Raider
Adding Wyll in your party explains what's up with his eye and possible what his patron who or what it may be.

My last pkaythrough I actually had Astarion in my party. I used him to pickpocket Auntie, the tiefling and the assling in druid Grove gear up my party with +1 gear and potions of giant strength. He was definitely my MVP this play through.

I'm playing a Gith battlemaster using the 2 hander feat. I was able to get the warhammer off Dror Ragzlin and now I'm literally 1 or 2 shotting monsters. I can't wait until they add in Half orcs and Dragonborns along with paladin, druid and barbarian classes. It's going to be insane.

Grabbit Allworth

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
Adding Wyll in your party explains what's up with his eye and possible what his patron who or what it may be.

My last pkaythrough I actually had Astarion in my party. I used him to pickpocket Auntie, the tiefling and the assling in druid Grove gear up my party with +1 gear and potions of giant strength. He was definitely my MVP this play through.

I'm playing a Gith battlemaster using the 2 hander feat. I was able to get the warhammer off Dror Ragzlin and now I'm literally 1 or 2 shotting monsters. I can't wait until they add in Half orcs and Dragonborns along with paladin, druid and barbarian classes. It's going to be insane.

I had no idea Astarion was a rogue so I made a Drow Rogue (Thief subclass) myself. I proceeded to shoplift everything from everyone. Sneak/hide is busted in the way that it's implemented. Sneak attack is incredibly easy to perform and repeat throughout an encounter. Furthermore, the additional bonus action from the Thief subclass is ridiculously good given how many things are considered bonus. Rogues are so mobile it's insane.

The game definitely needs numerous balance passes.

On another note, I read the Steam community forums for the game and I find it hilarious that some people are melting down about how hard the game is and it's crystal clear that those players have never played D&D before.

Last edited:

TJT

Mr. Poopybutthole
<Gold Donor>
Writing good characters is actually quite difficult.

Even in BG2's roster some of them were terrible, or at least super boring and lame. This was countered by having extremely memorable characters like Minsc. However, never in all of my dozens of playthroughs of BG2 have I EVER included this guy in my party.

This guy is a douche.

• 1Worf
  • 1Solidarity
  • 1Like
Reactions: 2 users

j00t

I had no idea Astarion was a rogue and I made a Drow Rogue (Thief subclass) myself. I proceeded to shoplift everything from everyone. Sneak/hide is busted in the way that it's implemented. Sneak attack is incredibly easy to perform and repeat throughout an encounter. Furthermore, the additional bonus action from the Thief subclass is ridiculously good given how many things are considered bonus. Rogues are so mobile it's insane.

The game definitely needs numerous balance passes.

On another note, I read the Steam community forums for the game and I find it hilarious that some people are melting down about how hard the game is and it's crystal clear that those players have never played D&D before.
the extra bonus for thief subclass is probably there to balance out every character having a minor cunning action. jump/disengage rules as written should be rogue only, but mechanically in 3d space everyone kind of needs it. sometimes the pathing is wonky because there are no grids, so in order to get behind people, the pathing will make you run out of melee range which gets an attack of opportunity against you. jumping over them will put you directly behind them. sucks for dual wielding characters though, it eats your off-hand attack.

i also think sneak attack is right where it's meant to be. in the early levels, rogues outdamage most other classes just on pure action economy. they get more bang for their buck out of a single attack and can (and should) be able to do that every round without using any resources. sneak attack is pretty easy to get in this game, but honestly, if you're playing correctly, it's usually pretty easy to get sneak attack in tabletop as well. the lighting and the verticality definitely make it super easy to get sneak attack at range, but i don't think that's something they should remove, since the enemies benefit from it as well

• 2Like