Baldur's Gate 3 by Larian Games

Dandai

<WoW Guild Officer>
<Gold Donor>
installing Divinity: Original Sin.

I wonder if I'll uninstall it after 1hr like I did Pillars of Eternity and Divinity: Dragon Commander, or if I'll play it all the way through like Divinity II.
Didn't play Dragon Commander, but I also uninstalled Pillars after a couple hours. It was a little too dry and punishing for my tastes.

a_skeleton_05

<Banned>
Pillars 2 is far more refined than 1 and easier to get into. I couldn't stomach 1 long enough to finish it, but played through 2 with only mild boredom near the end. Might be worth trying if you're looking for something.

Borzak

Bronze Baron of the Realm
I guess I'm stuck in the late 90's. All the stuff mentioned I'm sure are in the books for D&D now but they mostly seem "out of this world" lol. Guess the age of elves, dark elves, orcs, hobgoblins, dwarves and such have passed us by.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

a_skeleton_05

<Banned>
I guess I'm stuck in the late 90's. All the stuff mentioned I'm sure are in the books for D&D now but they mostly seem "out of this world" lol. Guess the age of elves, dark elves, orcs, hobgoblins, dwarves and such have passed us by.

If you're talking about the space stuff, it was from the 80's, so...

The D&D books now are actually missing a lot of this sort of thing.

• 2Like
Reactions: 1 users

Borzak

Bronze Baron of the Realm
No not the space stuff. Bad choice of words to be "out of this world" they just seem a lot of out of the ordinary from the past. Like I said I guess I'm stuck in the late 90's.

I haven't looked at any of the books since 2nd edition and the books I have of that edition. Not really related to this game, but a lot has change apparently.

Merrith

Golden Baronet of the Realm
No not the space stuff. Bad choice of words to be "out of this world" they just seem a lot of out of the ordinary from the past. Like I said I guess I'm stuck in the late 90's.

I haven't looked at any of the books since 2nd edition and the books I have of that edition. Not really related to this game, but a lot has change apparently.

4th edition and the Spellplague was...not well received and changed the setting quite a bit. 5th looked to roll back some/most of the unpopular changes, though not exactly to the same point things were previously with a lot of the stuff they undid.

a_skeleton_05

<Banned>

D&D now is definitely not as "Low Fantasy" as Basic/AD&D era was, but it still has all the elves orcs dwarves and so on. Probably the biggest difference now is that the various Planes are much better understood and utilized, so things easily get into "High Fantasy" territory. Also, having Tieflings and Dragonborn as player races certainly took things out of the stanard Medieval Fantasy fare. All the stuff you love is still there, and the more modern changes can be discarded. Not to mention that people still play Basic/AD&D/2E to this day.

goishen

Macho Ma'am
Yah, I mean, this fracturing of the D&D community, hasn't been a good thing. Meh. It's a problem, and one that I wish that WoTC could fix.

I know that they can't. There are simply too many editions of D&D out in the wild nowadays.

j00t

Silver Baronet of the Realm
i guess i don't really have any idea what you're talking about. as far as i've seen, the community is more united than ever. the only difference i'd even remotely consider is that the tabletop community is playing a lot more than just d&d. there's ALL KINDS of games with different rules and different settings. but that hasn't splintered the community, it's just made it stronger. more people are playing and playing openly.

Rime

<Donor>
If you played D&D/AD&D, there were a few modules that had 'tech' in them. Expedition to the Barrier Peaks being the biggest of those that come to mind... it included powered armor, blaster rifles, and robots. It is considered one of the founding modules as well.

The Forgotten Realms had Imaskar and later, Deep Imaskar, which had 'crystal' technology that was pretty much laser blasters/shields, but was later handwaved away when the Spellplague boned the setting.

If anything, 5th Edition, as it stands, is the 'lowest' fantasy in terms of character power. Other than the Lost Mines module, most of them are VERY, VERY stingy as far as loot/magical items are concerned. Most of them award nothing but gold/gems as the vast bulk of treasure. Finding a +1 item is a big deal 5-10. +2 are amazing. +3 is insane. There is nothing beyond that.

Caliane

installing Divinity: Original Sin.

I wonder if I'll uninstall it after 1hr like I did Pillars of Eternity and Divinity: Dragon Commander, or if I'll play it all the way through like Divinity II.
Dragon commander was total shit.

Pillars of Eternity plays like a classic infinity engine game. like Baldur's gate, icewinddale, etc.

Divinity:OS 1 and 2 do not. They actually play much more like Ultima7/8.

Caliane

i guess i don't really have any idea what you're talking about. as far as i've seen, the community is more united than ever. the only difference i'd even remotely consider is that the tabletop community is playing a lot more than just d&d. there's ALL KINDS of games with different rules and different settings. but that hasn't splintered the community, it's just made it stronger. more people are playing and playing openly.
yeah. I don't know how anyone can say community is divided. Sure everyone will have bits and pieces of older versions they might like, and prefer.
but since 5e, role 20, critical roll and other dnd podcasts. DnD is now VASTLY larger then its ever been. Like far and away.

and yeah. 5e is pretty easily the best mechanical version of DnD ever. no, +10 to hit bullshit. no 35+AC bullshit. no truesight. No stacking of insane magical items.
3 item attunement max. (not all magical items require attunement.) AC barely budges. +3 to AC or +3 to hit TOTAL at level 20 is normal.
Advantage/disadvantage system is great.

Ihmo, baseline classes are the most balanced in a while too. it takes alot of effort to make a broken op multiclass in 5e. Sure it can be done, but its not the baseline like in 3.5e.
baseline sorcs imho are weak. one baseline powerful build. the sociopath. (silent spell+charm spells.) Even bards truck sorcs with utility and damage dealing potential as spellcasters...
and beast ranger of course is well known for being very weak.

I am not a fan of clerics and paladins in 5e not being tied to Gods. both just get their powers from believing real hard. Which imho is stupid.

• 2Like

j00t

yeah. I don't know how anyone can say community is divided. Sure everyone will have bits and pieces of older versions they might like, and prefer.
but since 5e, role 20, critical roll and other dnd podcasts. DnD is now VASTLY larger then its ever been. Like far and away.

and yeah. 5e is pretty easily the best mechanical version of DnD ever. no, +10 to hit bullshit. no 35+AC bullshit. no truesight. No stacking of insane magical items.
3 item attunement max. (not all magical items require attunement.) AC barely budges. +3 to AC or +3 to hit TOTAL at level 20 is normal.
Advantage/disadvantage system is great.

Ihmo, baseline classes are the most balanced in a while too. it takes alot of effort to make a broken op multiclass in 5e. Sure it can be done, but its not the baseline like in 3.5e.
baseline sorcs imho are weak. one baseline powerful build. the sociopath. (silent spell+charm spells.) Even bards truck sorcs with utility and damage dealing potential as spellcasters...
and beast ranger of course is well known for being very weak.

I am not a fan of clerics and paladins in 5e not being tied to Gods. both just get their powers from believing real hard. Which imho is stupid.
yes. except, no? +3 to hit at lvl 20 total? to hit is proficiency plus stat modifier... proficiency at lvl 20 is 6 so you should have AT LEAST +6 to hit and that's assuming that your stats are 10, which they won't be.

and clerics ARE tied to gods. their powers come DIRECTLY from their deity. you just get to pick whatever diety you want instead of being tied to the choices they give you.

goishen

Macho Ma'am
Well, I just mean you have 2e, 3e, etc.. And people who play all of those editions.

You can have a D&D party where the first thing you'll have to do is decide on which ruleset you're gonna play. Sure, the D&D community may have grown as a whole, but if it's cracked into pieces, who wants it?

Tuco

I got Tuco'd!
<Gold Donor>
After playing like, nearly every big sword and sorcery RPG ever made i have zero problems with a game pushing space stuff or anything else that isnt typical.

Im like two hours into divinity of sin and i can tell you im not excited about fighting orcs.

• 1Like

Dioblaire

And now my Watch has ended...
<Donor>
yes. except, no? +3 to hit at lvl 20 total? to hit is proficiency plus stat modifier... proficiency at lvl 20 is 6 so you should have AT LEAST +6 to hit and that's assuming that your stats are 10, which they won't be.

and clerics ARE tied to gods. their powers come DIRECTLY from their deity. you just get to pick whatever diety you want instead of being tied to the choices they give you.

I believe he's referring to magic item bonuses to hit and AC. No official book has anything higher. You have to use homebrew.

Well, I just mean you have 2e, 3e, etc.. And people who play all of those editions.

You can have a D&D party where the first thing you'll have to do is decide on which ruleset you're gonna play. Sure, the D&D community may have grown as a whole, but if it's cracked into pieces, who wants it?

In my experience, most people only play 5e. Sure, we could play 3.0 or 3.5, or 2e or even original. But 5e simplified a lot and let's people do a lot without being too number crunchy.

j00t

I believe he's referring to magic item bonuses to hit and AC. No official book has anything higher. You have to use homebrew.

aaahhh that makes way more sense. the "TOTAL" part threw me

In my experience, most people only play 5e. Sure, we could play 3.0 or 3.5, or 2e or even original. But 5e simplified a lot and let's people do a lot without being too number crunchy.

yeah, i mean i know there are people who still play older editions but i've NEVER run into an issue where the dm says "we're running 5e" and people start complaining

Arden

Blackwing Lair Raider

I'm pretty fucking critical when it comes to RPGs, but there isn't a reason to play any other version of D&D other than 5e except for nostalgia. Even then it would be hard.

To put it in perspective, I would not have said the same thing before they came out with 5e. None of the previous iterations quite tied it all together before this.

In 5th they captured all the best things about the previous versions of D&D and then streamlined and simplified. I don't think 5e is the perfect table RPG, but it's definitely the perfected version of D&D.

• 1Solidarity
  • 1Like

error

Molten Core Raider
I agree. Who wants to go back to THACO or reading every fucking book of 3.5e to make sure you're not missing out and gimping yourself?

5e is easily the best version of D&D, simplifies it for newer people along with them capturing some social media / podcasts - it's put D&D an a whole new cultural space. I'd imagine GoT, Harry Potter kids and other fantasy influences have a role in D&D's current popularity.

• 1Solidarity