Baldur's Gate 3 by Larian Games

Dashel

Blackwing Lair Raider
I'm going for the early access. Hardcore for me might be like 3 hours a night at this point.
25 hours or so of gameplay is a good enough chunk to justify playing it.

• 1Solidarity
Reactions: 1 user

shabushabu

Molten Core Raider
Anyone else hyped for this. I haven't played a PC game in a while. or any game really.
I have a GeForce GTX 1080. Its 3 years old at this point but I think it should still do the job yeah?

I know it's above minimum spec or even recommended but I'd like it to run smoothly with at least some eye candy on.

View attachment 307876
Ya man.. i have a 1070 still and nothing I can't max.

• 1Like
  • 1Solidarity
Reactions: 1 users

Utnayan

I Love Utnayan he’s awesome
<Gold Donor>
Sure, but Larian games not being finished until the DE is out hasn't exactly failed them yet. I don't like the idea of having EARLY Early Access followed by the actual Early Access followed by the finished product after another 12-18 months, but it seems like this is becoming a trend for the genre.

Yep - I just don't like the trend. Want to do an EA and we all test your game and ggive feedback? Give us a financial incentive to do so. We are basically paying full price for a game at this point now and while some won't do anything but play it, they will still be generating crash logs off those folks and still not have 70% of the game there. Should bring the price down to $39.99 from $59.99 for those willing to help and play an incomplete game knowing full well they will run into the issues they did the last half of DOS2.

Also, agree with Cal once more. WoTC doesn't give a shit. They have not given a shit - for a long time.

goishen

Macho Ma'am
Meh. For all of those people thinking that the people over there at WOTC have some great R&D dept, I have three words for you. Sword Coast Legends. I'm not saying that this game will be anything like that. In fact, I'm hoping that, if it's anything like DOS:2, it'll be actually good.

But jeezus.

• 1Like

j00t

Silver Baronet of the Realm
Yep - I just don't like the trend. Want to do an EA and we all test your game and ggive feedback? Give us a financial incentive to do so. We are basically paying full price for a game at this point now and while some won't do anything but play it, they will still be generating crash logs off those folks and still not have 70% of the game there. Should bring the price down to $39.99 from $59.99 for those willing to help and play an incomplete game knowing full well they will run into the issues they did the last half of DOS2.

Also, agree with Cal once more. WoTC doesn't give a shit. They have not given a shit - for a long time.
i mean it's a much better alternative to to GaaS. they spend years developing a game with no revenue. putting a game out for EA allows a developer to extend the amount of time they can continue polishing it before "release" without gouging the audience with MTX.

i also saw an article a while back that said based on steam stats, the vast majority of players don't play more than 25% of a game's story. it absolutely makes sense that developers frontload their polish

• 1Truth!

goishen

Macho Ma'am
Fuck, you need an article to tell you that? All that I've looked at is one game's stats. The Witcher 3. Look up Family Counselor in your achievement list. Only 45.4% of players have found the Baron's Wife & Daughter. Everything beyond that is all downhill from there. It doesn't matter how polished a game's front end is. The Witcher 3 is polished af. But for some reason, only half of the players got done with one of the first story quests that were presented.

EDIT : I'm sorry if this comes off as sounding "edgelord"-ey. I'm just bleh. Didn't have enough coffee this morning, I guess.

• 1Like

Dandain

Trakanon Raider
One aspect I LIKE about EA is how it leverages a communities' most insane members. Early Access combined with community engagement guarantees that any great game idea gets playtested like crazy by the autists. Hades is an incredible game that I didn't buy till launch. But it is clear that it had some passionate playtesting, far beyond would they could have done inhouse. I don't think the complexity and interactions across Hades weapons/powers could possibly be pressed without a fleet of addicted basement nerds. The flip side is promises never delivered. There are plenty of corpses of shells of ideas and weak promises, but that is a weakness of EA that just comes with the strengths.

I rarely play anything in early access, when I do, I want the game to survive to launch and I'm ok with my partial purchase.

BG3 is a game that I don't mind having act 1 playtested over some insane man hours. Where the hyper pationate will report everything from spelling errors, bugs, to overpowered interactions that were never thought of. The finished product will be far better for EA utilized well. Larian doesn't need to launch this game to survive. They have swam in their own ideas and money. They aren't beholded to WotC for the future here, but they have massive incentive to hit his out of the park. I think the only way to push a game as expansive as I hope BG3 turns out to be is through having it played so many more times than would ever be possible inhouse. The purchase invests testers in a way free beta testers wouldn't be. Any game I've ever beta'd that felt like shit I just didn't play again.

goishen

Macho Ma'am
I think what it really comes down to is this. "Is the company gonna use the early access money wisely? Are they going to complete the features that the beta testers (because, let's face it, that's really what early access is) mentioned?"

Or are they gonna fuck off with the money and pay themselves, thereby swindling everybody? *cough*pantheon*cough*

Pyros

<Silver Donator>
I think what it really comes down to is this. "Is the company gonna use the early access money wisely? Are they going to complete the features that the beta testers (because, let's face it, that's really what early access is) mentioned?"

Or are they gonna fuck off with the money and pay themselves, thereby swindling everybody? *cough*pantheon*cough*
They've already done the whole thing twice, they'll fix stuff and improve a lot of things, but yeah as mentionned the future acts probably won't be nearly as polished.

Hateyou

Not Great, Not Terrible
<Bronze Donator>
I’m not doing EA with this one. I did with OS2 and it burned me out of the beginning and I still can’t get far without stopping. I’ve never beaten it. I’ll play this after it’s out and patched up.

• 2Like

Argarth

On the verandah
I’m not doing EA with this one. I did with OS2 and it burned me out of the beginning and I still can’t get far without stopping. I’ve never beaten it. I’ll play this after it’s out and patched up.

Usually I'd never consider EA for a story driven game, but same decision either way - and if the reviews are even a little lukewarm, I'll just wait for the "Finisheditive Edition"

• 1Like

shabushabu

Molten Core Raider
They are saying over a year after tmw for the full version.. that 60 up front is looking more annoying now ...

• 2Truth!

reavor

I'm With HER ♀
<Bronze Donator>
early access is worse than the demo industry ever was. it's paying full price for an entree and getting the full course meal a week later.

TJT

Mr. Poopybutthole
<Gold Donor>
Just buy at release, don't be fags. If you play early access on a story driven DND game you're a retard.

• 5Like
  • 4Solidarity
Reactions: 8 users

Borzak

Bronze Baron of the Realm
After you send the meal back a half dozen times to get it prepared right.

• 1Truth!
  • 1Solidarity

Tuco

I got Tuco'd!
<Gold Donor>
early access can be a lot of fun for multiplayer games because the meta changes so quickly and keeps the game fresh. But in a singleplayer game? TJT has the right of it.

• 2Solidarity

Bubbles

2022 Asshat Award Winner
<Bronze Donator>
do I really have to fucking upgrade to win10? It seems all the games now are win10 minimum. That sucks balls. I haven't done a clean os install since 2011.