Baldur's Gate 3 by Larian Games

reavor

I'm With HER ♀
<Bronze Donator>
Divinity: Baldurs Gate still in development limbo I take it?

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Malkav

French Madman
Release stated for 2023. It's never been planned to have more than Act I in Early Access, same as they did for DOS2.

They have a team of 400 working on this, it's just taking time.

Qhue

Trump's Staff
Having voice work done for the insult-based psychic cantrip attack is a nice touch. These later classes feel far more complete than the original bunch, but maybe they have updated the first wave and I've just not noticed.

They have clearly taken steps to make the storyline party NPCs less insufferably annoying, but they are still a weak link in the whole shebang. I'd especially like to have a Bard, Barbarian, Druid, Sorcerer party, but I'm stuck with emozard, gothvamp, holycunt, murderkaren, and brother badlock.

• 2Like
Reactions: 1 users

Burns

Golden Baronet of the Realm
I am hopeful that they can get this released by Q2 2023. Using classes released as a guide, while looking from the outside, they only have two left to implement (Monk & Paladin). Monk probably requires the most work, with unique fighting animations and mechanics. Paladin on the other hand already has the cleric side of the class and melee fighting styles in the game; so just the quest, unique mechanics, and world interactions are required.

So, 3 to 4 months for the Bard patch (just released), 3 to 4 for the Monk, and then 2 to 3 for Paladin (or maybe Monk and Pal at the same time and get it done by Q1).

As mentioned earlier in the thread, they increased manpower substantially over the last couple years. It's possible that they will be able to start increasing development speed from here on out, since all those people should be fully trained and working well in their various teams by now.

Malkav

French Madman
Having voice work done for the insult-based psychic cantrip attack is a nice touch. These later classes feel far more complete than the original bunch, but maybe they have updated the first wave and I've just not noticed.

They have clearly taken steps to make the storyline party NPCs less insufferably annoying, but they are still a weak link in the whole shebang. I'd especially like to have a Bard, Barbarian, Druid, Sorcerer party, but I'm stuck with emozard, gothvamp, holycunt, murderkaren, and brother badlock.

They've stated that they went with the "evil" companions first to test them in early access, since most people tend to go with good companions otherwise and the evil ones might be more untested. They definitely need to add some more companions in EA though... With the bard trailer I was hopeful they added the tiefling bard companion you meet in the druid grove (she appears in the trailer), but there is nothing in the patch notes about that.

I am hopeful that they can get this released by Q2 2023. Using classes released as a guide, while looking from the outside, they only have two left to implement (Monk & Paladin). Monk probably requires the most work, with unique fighting animations and mechanics. Paladin on the other hand already has the cleric side of the class and melee fighting styles in the game; so just the quest, unique mechanics, and world interactions are required.

A lot of people were hoping for a revamp to the reaction system this patch, as it's a pretty important system for some classes, especially Bard (inspiration die) and Paladin (smite), and for stuff like Counterspell. Right now reactions are a toggle (like attacks of opportunity, you either enable or disable them) and this straight up doesn't work with some 5e systems.

• 2Like

Grabbit Allworth

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
I purchased BG III the day early access was released and I spent ~60 hours playing it. I finished everything that was available then, but didn't log in again until yesterday. The game has come a LONG way and it has me incredibly excited for the final product.

The initial iteration was good, but (as others have pointed out) it genuinely felt like a re-skinned Divinity. Not that, that would have necessarily been 'bad,' but I wanted an experience that 'felt' more like D&D. That said, the last couple of patches have evolved the game enough that I no longer feel that way. BG III is really, really good and that's quite an accomplishment given how ridiculously difficult it is create a PC game that is faithful to the source material.

Last edited:
  • 3Like
Reactions: 2 users

Szeth

Trakanon Raider
I am INCREDIBLY excited for this final product. I think a few friends and I are going to give it an legit shot at being a weekly or twice a week "meetup" type game.

• 5Like
Reactions: 4 users

Threelions

Victory Through Harmony
<Gold Donor>
I am INCREDIBLY excited for this final product. I think a few friends and I are going to give it an legit shot at being a weekly or twice a week "meetup" type game.
I scooped Original Sin 2 from steam but have a feeling this should blow that out of the water

• 1Like

Break

Silver Baronet of the Realm
How is this game not done yet? I've been patiently waiting for them to finish it before I try it, any idea how much of the game is currently available?

• 2Solidarity

Malkav

French Madman
How is this game not done yet? I've been patiently waiting for them to finish it before I try it, any idea how much of the game is currently available?

Early Access will never go beyond Act I (of potentially four). DOS2 was the fucking same. They never intended to release more of the game in EA, just test features and systems, get feedback and polish/change them as necessary. You won't get anything else until full release.

They have come VERY far from where things were at the start of EA.

Also, the game gives you such freedom in decision that story and progression wise they have to consider every choice the player could make. I'd rather they take their time than release a buggy mess.

Qhue

Trump's Staff
Was playing through some content that was either new-ish or stuff I had just not seen on earlier play throughs of the first act. Anywho its buggy as fuck with lots of engine errors and very frequent crashes.... mostly when you try to save. I redid the same section a few times before I just gave up even trying to do that without it crashing on save.

• 1Like

goishen

Macho Ma'am
I'm playing through this now. It's pretty fun as a sorcerer. Nice to see them adding more classes though.