Baldur's Gate 3 by Larian Games

Hatorade

A nice asshole.
I'm strongly leaning Battlemaster Fighter for my first play through.
I feel like I pretty much have to take Githyanki for the Misty Step (and improved jump). Unless I'm way over estimating how good that is. Or Half Orc I guess.

I'm playing with 3 friends multiplayer only. We have Paladin, Warlock and I think Ranger. Plus my Fighter.
Feels like we'll be ok with that and just rely on heal potions and whatever the Paladin can do. Plus Second Wind and similar self heals.

Whats everyone else playing?
If you going battle master def. go half orc and either use great axe because savage attack are crazy good or grab great weapon fighting with a greatsword to be more consistant.

First play through solo going Lore Bard.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Droigan

Trakanon Raider

Sven is there for the first hour. Talks about a lot of things. Release is 10am pacific time on Aug 3rd (so around 6-7pm for UK/EU) (3 day head start is cancelled in case anyone missed that). They wanted to do it earlier (their time), but Steam wanted it early on steam time so they could be sure to cover support.

EDIT: Finished watching it. Recap

- Game is basically done. Locked final build yesterday review copies going out soon.

- They had planned stat rolls (like in the old ones), but was cut.

- Game features so many new things compared to the current version that it will be a "new" download. It's "very large". (EA is 80gigs, so wouldn't be surprised if it's 100+.)

- Class / Race will impact story, but some to a bigger degree than others due to entire areas dedicated to them. Like Druid, Drow and such.

- (coop) Party members can listen in on all conversations, but will be "pulled in" for critical ones. Person who initiates will decide and roll.

- Steam deck support later (new build released yesterday, it will be there at one point, but might not be at launch)

- They planned to have "danger zones" where camping was limited/denied (as the older games had), so had to focus on resource management. The testers hated it. Since the combat is so involved they had to travel out of the "zones" to camp then go back. It wasn't fun, so they scrapped most of them.

- Camp/dialogue system is made in a way that you can never see everything. Example he used was if you talk to Laezel in camp, then to Shadowheart, she will ask you what you were talking about with options to answer. Talk to Shadowheart first, that will not happen. But he said they have put in place securities that you will never miss important/critical scenes.

- Also mentioned the secret Sven has. Years ago he was in an interview saying he had a secret that he couldn't talk about. Cohh then asks if it was the Dark Urge. Sven "No, it was bear sex".

--- it was the Dark urge, idea he had for a long time. He says it's not something he recommend for a first run. Reason is that if you play it first, you get lots of events, and when you play the dark urge, you get "oh shit" moments because you see how differently you can impact those events. If you play it the first run, you won't get that sensation, because you kind of need to know what's different to get the effect of the changes)

- Kind of major info (especially compared to DOS2). In DOS2, if you played a custom character, you missed out on a bunch of story and events. In this game Sven says he always picks a custom character at start. He recommends origin characters for secondary playthroughs. Said there is nothing "wrong" with picking an origin character, but he likes discovering their story as an unknown, then when you pick them, you get "their" versions of events, because you're in their head. What they think the first time they meet characters, what they naturally would do in events and so on. But (thankfully) it doesn't seem like a DOS2 situation where you got "less game" from picking custom (I always recommend using the 6 player mod in DOS2 and going tactician to make up for the extra power. That way, you get all character stories in one run.)

- You can respec origin characters as well, but they will always "be" their origin in terms of their story.

- And finally, I know many on these forums don't like CohhCarnage. They announced now that he is a character. A revamp of Noober. Dev said, if you find him annoying, you can push him in a river, among other things.

Last edited:
  • 3Like
Reactions: 2 users

Hatorade

A nice asshole.

Sven is there for the first hour. Talks about a lot of things. Release is 10am pacific time on Aug 3rd (so around 6-7pm for UK/EU) (3 day head start is cancelled in case anyone missed that). They wanted to do it earlier (their time), but Steam wanted it early on steam time so they could be sure to cover support.
Well, shit...

Caliane

how are dialogues handled in this? controlled character does the talking/skill checks or, everyone pitches in as needed?

its something I would like to see done in crpgs. party chipping in is great. but, I'd like to see it taken to the next level, to actually voice the character chipping in.
an example, in pathfinder:wotr, was watching a streamer play a dumb fighter character. they were doing a dialogue and got a 27 religion check, and succeeded. the PC had 0 religion skill, so it was clearly Seelah succeeding the check. the text/voice acting however continued as if it was the PC that made the religion check. next level dialogue system would have seelah actually interject into the converstion. either whispering into the pc's ear, or outright calling out the check/information. (then you'd have to also figure for respecs, and have every character written out in character making every check in the game for the pc.)

mkopec

<Gold Donor>
Nothing to worry about huh? Heh ok
Dont worry, its only on the internet and the only problem is edgelords here on FOH.

Explosion Reaction GIF

• 3Worf
  • 1Like
  • 1Solidarity
Reactions: 4 users

zombiewizardhawk

Potato del Grande
Yes, because there isn't an optimal if everything is exactly the same. I'm fine with someone playing a little pixie fairy berserker if they really want to, but it should be a major pain in the ass compared to an ogre.

Allowing more choices = good
Taking away consequences = bad
But how does it have any impact on you in the slightest? Because they might post on some internet message board talking about how much fun they had playing their pixie berserker and that's just taking things way too far and completely unacceptable?

If the game was online multiplayer with randoms I could see a valid argument in that it would impact your gameplay, but how is this any different than the 8 trillion mods people download for all these kinds of single player role-playing games that unlock all kinds of crazy shit?

• 1Moron
  • 1EyeRoll
Reactions: 1 users

reavor

I'm With HER ♀
<Bronze Donator>
Who is Cohh and what is he in game?

Cohh is a big rpg streamer who has been in other rpgs as well, like cyberpunk. Hes a family friendly variety streamer and a super lib leftist, so insufferable in other words

• 4Like
  • 1Solidarity

Ambiturner

Ssraeszha Raider
But how does it have any impact on you in the slightest? Because they might post on some internet message board talking about how much fun they had playing their pixie berserker and that's just taking things way too far and completely unacceptable?

If the game was online multiplayer with randoms I could see a valid argument in that it would impact your gameplay, but how is this any different than the 8 trillion mods people download for all these kinds of single player role-playing games that unlock all kinds of crazy shit?

I already explained in the post that making choices meaningless is shitty. In your retarded analogy, how come the game doesn't just act like you win every battle even if you lose and die? Why should anyone ever lose anything just because they don't play well? As long as you win then why does other people losing in a single player game AFFECT YOU???

Fuck some people are retarded

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Bubbles

2022 Asshat Award Winner
<Bronze Donator>
Why don't people like Cohh? I haven't seen much of him but he seems fine to me.
For starters he was on that twitch diversity council with the woman who thought she was a deer and defended her after she went on a power trip trying to ban people who made fun of her.
Also he looks like a guy who likes to be pegged

• 3Like
  • 1Truth!
  • 1Solidarity