Baldur's Gate: Enhanced Edition

pharmakos

soʞɐɯɹɐɥd
<Bronze Donator>
Daezuel Daezuel or anyone else, how was the Siege of Dragonspear DLC for BG? wondering if it's actually worth the $6.79 on top of the $4.99 i just paid for the base game.

a_skeleton_05

<Banned>
Siege of Dragonspear isn't terrible but it's very different in tone/approach than the main game due to obvious reasons. If you have any interest in playing BG1 but with a more modern storytelling/campaign approach, then it's worth checking out.

pharmakos

soʞɐɯɹɐɥd
<Bronze Donator>
I ended up going ahead and buying it after that post anyway. I figured at those bargain bin prices I may as well get the complete set.

But hell, I've got the next few hundred hours of gaming lined up for myself, now. I just recently bought Divinity: Original Sin for the first time and am getting into that. Now BG:EE1&2 plus that in-between DLC, EEs of Planescape: Torment,Temple of Elemental Evil, and Icewind Dale 1, plus the standard edition of Icewind Dale 2.

Only one of these that I've played was BG1 way back in the day.

Chanur

Shit Posting Professional
<Gold Donor>
I am playing this for the first time. I am not far into it. Only at the first town with multiple inns. Having a good time exploring. I decided to make a Paladin, specifically an Inquisitor. I thought a Paladin would be fitting for a main character. My 2 handed sword broke already. So pretty pissed about that haha.

• 2Like
Reactions: 1 users

Tananthalas

<Gold Donor>
The sword breaking is part of the main quest. Once you find a magical one you won't have to worry about that anymore. I am currently playing it again as well. Wanted to import a character to BG2. Experience cap is 161k for BGEE, 500k for Siege of Dragonspear (which is an expansion for BGEE). You can hit the xp cap in BGEE with a full party if you're doing most or all of the content. There are mods that remove it if you like. All that aside have fun. I enjoy it a lot.

• 2Like

Burns

Golden Baronet of the Realm
The sword breaking is part of the main quest. Once you find a magical one you won't have to worry about that anymore. I am currently playing it again as well. Wanted to import a character to BG2. Experience cap is 161k for BGEE, 500k for Siege of Dragonspear (which is an expansion for BGEE). You can hit the xp cap in BGEE with a full party if you're doing most or all of the content. There are mods that remove it if you like. All that aside have fun. I enjoy it a lot.

IMO the best way to replay them is with the Baulders Gate :EE Trilogy. It imports everything into one long game in the BG2 engine. There are two options:

Option 1 (an installer that does most of the work for you):
Last time I played I think I used this tool to add a few more mods, like a more complete transition (import) from 1 to 2 (you lose almost everything from 1, normally). It made modding BG:EE Trilogy fairly straight forward.​

Option 2 (Manual install, straight from the source with only two mods involved):
Install directions:​
  1. Clean install of BGEE and BG2EE.
  2. (optional) Create copy of the game folders and place outside of main game directory. This allows you to preserve the original install, so you don't have to uninstall-reinstall if modding messes up.
  3. Run each game once (just get to the main screen) and exit.
  4. Run modmerge in the BGEE copy. (When I last used Mod Setup, it wouldn't correctly use modmerge; maybe that is fixed now.)
  5. Run Mod Setup for the copied folders. It only works properly for clean installs. Be careful about which mods you install, would not recommend an 'all mod' install.
  6. Play.

Main Trilogy mod download thread:​
Modmerge thread:​

• 3Like
Reactions: 2 users

Lunis

Blackwing Lair Raider
I always kill a guard right in the beginning at the 2nd floor of the inn and take his plate mail. The rep you can always buy back. Having plate mail that early is a such a big advantage.

• 1Like
  • 1Worf
  • 1WTF
Reactions: 2 users

Tananthalas

<Gold Donor>
IMO the best way to replay them is with the Baulders Gate :EE Trilogy. It imports everything into one long game in the BG2 engine.

I had no idea you could do that. I am around 100 hours into this play through and I have some mods installed already and don't want to restart. I will definitely keep it in mind for my next run through though. Thank you.

• 2Like

Talos

Silver Baronet of the Realm
I never played this before. Currently about 50 hours in and having fun. It took a little bit to get used to the graphics but I can appreciate it now.

Only annoying part is magic. I mostly don't use it other than healing. I got the main guy, Minsc, and Branwen on the frontline. Kivan, Imoen, and Dynaheir with ranged shit.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Chris

Potato del Grande
I never played this before. Currently about 50 hours in and having fun. It took a little bit to get used to the graphics but I can appreciate it now.

Only annoying part is magic. I mostly don't use it other than healing. I got the main guy, Minsc, and Branwen on the frontline. Kivan, Imoen, and Dynaheir with ranged shit.
I give all the mages slings so they can attack regularly.

Do invest in a mage because you'll need to dispel all the shit enemy mages do to themselves with magic sheilds.

Imoen multi classing to wizard is canon and something you can do.

• 1Truth!
  • 1Like

Talos

I give all the mages slings so they can attack regularly.

Do invest in a mage because you'll need to dispel all the shit enemy mages do to themselves with magic sheilds.

Imoen multi classing to wizard is canon and something you can do.
Yeah I gave Dynaheir a sling. I'm not too familiar with d&d rules so wasn't going to mess with multiclassing but I'll look into it.

I never played any of these classic rpgs back in the day. I was a console kid. Pretty cool that they are re releasing them. Dark Alliance 2 re-released today but I'm a long way off from that one.

Chris

Potato del Grande
Yeah I gave Dynaheir a sling. I'm not too familiar with d&d rules so wasn't going to mess with multiclassing but I'll look into it.

I never played any of these classic rpgs back in the day. I was a console kid. Pretty cool that they are re releasing them. Dark Alliance 2 re-released today but I'm a long way off from that one.
I forgot Dynaheir was a mage, Imoen is probably good to go as a pure Rogue then - they are super useful - especially later on, disarming traps is crucial.

What did you set your main guy up as?

I think with a Mage/Cleric/Rogue you can do everything non combat related, the rest are just DPS.

Glad you are enjoying it, Baldur's Gate 2 is the better game so you got a shit ton of amazing stuff to come!

Aaron

Goonsquad Officer
<Bronze Donator>
Yeah, it was awesome that they re-did this game for modern systems the way they did it. My only gripe with Beamdog is that I was hoping they would make a bunch of expansions or new games in the same vein, but in the end they made one that took place inbetween the first and second BG but it was written by SJWs and was complete shit. Oh well, can't have it all.

• 1Like

Talos

I forgot Dynaheir was a mage, Imoen is probably good to go as a pure Rogue then - they are super useful - especially later on, disarming traps is crucial.

What did you set your main guy up as?

I think with a Mage/Cleric/Rogue you can do everything non combat related, the rest are just DPS.

Glad you are enjoying it, Baldur's Gate 2 is the better game so you got a shit ton of amazing stuff to come!
Main guy is a paladin. Chose the cavalier kit. Just playing as a boring good guy helping everybody lol

I wasn't sure how to distribute Imoens points. Should it mostly be trap detection?

Chris

Potato del Grande
Main guy is a paladin. Chose the cavalier kit. Just playing as a boring good guy helping everybody lol

I wasn't sure how to distribute Imoens points. Should it mostly be trap detection?
I can't remember how many points you get but you can max out one thing, maybe even two and there are also items/potions to increase some of them.

You want to max out detecting traps for sure, whatever you did get that done next.

I think there's a wizard spell that does traps too.

By the way, if you find any tomes that increase base stats, use them on your main character. They are the only thing that carries between the games unless they added more with the Enchanced Edition.

• 1Like

Pancreas

Vyemm Raider
Having a mage is invaluable for higher level encounters. Also, spell sequencers loaded with a bunch of magic missles is surprisingly effective against big bads.

A room loaded with skull traps and delayed blast fireballs is a great way to send something to the afterlife including your framerate.

And humans are the best race. Dual classing is a human only option that is weird but powerful.

Class kits are special subclass options with cool powers. Normally they can't be combined or selected with a multiclass.

Humans can select a class kit as their initial class and if they have the required stats for a multiclass can select to dual class into a generic version of a second class. They lose access to the first class abilities until their second class reaches the same level. Then they get the benefits of the first class but it can't gain any further experience.

It's convoluted and cumbersome but it let me build a level 9 swashbuckler rogue/ fighter dualclass with a ridiculous AC.

Last edited:
  • 1Like

Talos

I helped a kid find his lost dog. When I brought it back the kid turned into a demon and took the dog to hell. This game is wild!

• 1Solidarity

Serwol

Vyemm Raider

If I recall you need somewhere in the realm of 100 points in traps to detect most if not all in the game and disarm them.