Baldur's Gate: Enhanced Edition

Just finished both all the way through with same party (private multiplayer game with all hand-made characters). According to Steam:

- BG1:EE / Black Pits - 52 hours
- BG2:EE / Black Pits II - 79 hours

And I am far from a competitionist. Damn these games had sooo much content. Also, man some of those later Throne of Bhaal fights were much harder than I remembered. Now to catch up on RPG backlog:

- Shadowrun Hong Kong
- Wasteland 2 (waiting for directors cut)
- Pillars of Eternity

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Aaron

Goonsquad Officer
<Bronze Donator>
I recently finished BG:EE, and have to say that I'm pleased with most of the implementation of this - that is, merging the two engines, fixing bugs, and having it run great on a modern system. This is the way such upgrades should work.

However... the addition, Siege of Dragonspear, fuck me what a load of horse shit! The uber SJW they got to write the dialogue has managed to get me to actually want to chose the "evil" options most of the times, something I thought would never happen. What really gets me is the "smugness" of the "good" dialogue options. It's written in a way that is pure SJW in that it tries to, in a way, guilt you into chosing the "good" options, which really gets on my nerves. Oh, and to top it off, the dialogue is just shit.

Really makes me feel sad since if they'd managed to get a good writer and done this well then I'd have been happy to fork over a few bucks for more expansions using the Infinity Engine, but I doubt we will see them now, and I sure won't buy them if the same writer is in charge. :/

• 2Like
Reactions: 1 users

TJT

Mr. Poopybutthole
<Gold Donor>
Baldur's Gate II is by far my favorite game of all time. I play through it once every couple of years. Really looking forward to Torment: Numenera.

• 1Like

Shmoopy

Golden Baronet of the Realm
Finished both BG1 and BG2 Enhanced Editions.

If you can pick them up on Steam sale highly recommend. Both games are still great.

Vorph

Bronze Baronet of the Realm
Rather just play the originals in BGT or Tutu. I wouldn't support Beamdog even if they were giving the games away.

• 1Solidarity

TJT

Mr. Poopybutthole
<Gold Donor>
I've played through BGII/ToB so many times now that I try to run the craziest builds I can. I think the only character sidequest I've avoided is that one Paladin who is just a total fucking faggot. I forget his name. The hardass old Paladin is the one I always take just so someone can use Carsomyr. The hardest fights of the game are, by far, the optional Demi-Lich under the city, the Dragon guarding the entrance to the major dungeon in ToB and a few others.

If you're looking for a fun way to play I recommend the Sword Saint/Wizard dual class because that is a lot of fun once you hit the power curve. Shapeshifter druid is pretty lawl fun too. But yeah the games have an alarming amount of content. Shit you could never even find if you didn't look really hard (like the Mindflayer dungeon that requires the key from the red dragon's keep).

• 1Like

Shmoopy

Golden Baronet of the Realm
Playing through Icewind Dale: Enhanced Edition now.

+ Definitely way more hack and slash than the BG series.
+ Very little story, linear, and no NPC companions.
+ Damn even some of the early fights are hard even on normal.
+ You really have to min-max your party.

Finished the primary game in about 40 hours. Starting the Heart of Winter expansion now. Allegedly the source code to Icewind Dale 2 is lost. So no enhanced edition for that. ;(

• 1Like

Khalan

Trakanon Raider
Baldur's Gate II is by far my favorite game of all time. I play through it once every couple of years. Really looking forward to Torment: Numenera.

Same, I remember getting it for Xmas the year it was released and locking myself in my basement for days without barely eating or sleeping.

Now adays I replay it every few years. Such a good game.

• 1Like
  • 1Solidarity
Reactions: 1 users

Tholan

Blackwing Lair Raider
Probably the only game where I could look at my wall clock, and when I looked again after what felt like 2 minutes, 6 hours had passed.

• 3Like
Reactions: 2 users

Tuco

I got Tuco'd!
<Gold Donor>
Rather just play the originals in BGT or Tutu. I wouldn't support Beamdog even if they were giving the games away.
Half a year later response:

I played through quite a bit of BG:EE and I can definitely say it's superior to the originals with tutu. The resolution, looting and load screen changes alone make it worth it.

Additionally, there is nearly 100% mod compatibility from what I can tell, so all those weidu mods work just fine. And the community tools to integrate them are super amazing.

• 1Worf

Borzak

Bronze Baron of the Realm
The new voice was a huge letdown on the EE stuff.

I liked the icewind dale series. It definetly was more of a dungeon crawl hack and slash and a lot less story.

• 1Like

Chris

Potato del Grande
The creepy little girl into demon thing was awesome in Icewind Dale.

• 1Like

Daezuel

Potato del Grande
Just playing BG EE now. Haven't played this game since it's release and thought I'd probably play for an hour and think this is too boring all this time later and before I knew it I've spent the last 3 days glued to my monitor. Can't wait to get to BG 2, haven't played that in many many years either.

These games have held up really well, I'm just ignoring any new side characters.

• 3Like

Fight

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
Yeah, I play through the EE's about yearly now. They are masterpiece games.

• 3Like

Ridas

Pay to play forum
Just playing BG EE now. Haven't played this game since it's release and thought I'd probably play for an hour and think this is too boring all this time later and before I knew it I've spent the last 3 days glued to my monitor. Can't wait to get to BG 2, haven't played that in many many years either.

These games have held up really well, I'm just ignoring any new side characters.

The new fights are fun with the side characters, but the chars themselves are rather boring. The Halforcs sidequest is worth it just for crashing a paladin wedding and killing everybody attending though.

Poin Dexter

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
What we have forgotten about BG games and the infinity engine is that they tend to be modifiable.

Would it be feasible to fix the dialog and create BG:SoD Red Pill Edition?

Daezuel

Potato del Grande
Its $4.99 with no DRM on GOG. Bought that, BG 2 EE, Temple of Elemental Evil, and 2 copies of Divinity OS for $25.46

(all the EE's are $4.99 there, I played Icewind Dale back in the day and don't really feel like I'll get around to that anytime soon but it's not a bad game by any stretch.)

• 3Like

Daezuel

Potato del Grande
They've also had the entire infinity engine EE bundle on sale on Steam for $22.50 or something before. I was foolishly hoping they'd have that price again for the winter sale.