Bandwagon's Drones Thread

BrutulTM

Good, bad, I'm the guy with the gun.
<Silver Donator>
The Hubsan is what I have. One of the motors spins at a different speed than the rest so it won't fly at all anymore. I understand that you can replace the motor and I think I even have a spare one somewhere but I haven't taken the time to figure out how to do it.

Srathor

Blackwing Lair Raider
Brutal did you put on the crashguard thingy? Looks like a cloverleaf plastic thingy to protect the blades and motors. If you didn't see it in the packaging they normally have it taped under the plastic vacumolded stuff the quad was sitting in. It seriously protects the thing from crashes. (And full speed flights into powerwires, houses, my sisters car, that whole overrated gravity thing and lastly goddamned flying bluejays that attacked.)

I am a menace with mine but it is still going strong. Just replaced my 8th rotor blade. Might have to order another pack soon. This is in over a year of flying the thing almost every nice day. Advanced mode flips and speed get me in trouble.

BrutulTM

<Silver Donator>
I did not use the crash guard. It looked cheesy so I didn't bother but I guess I should have. Soldering a couple wires is well within my abilities so maybe someday I will have to try to get it going again and see if I can reduce my level of suck.

Palum

what Suineg set it to
Been starting to get a bit interested in racing quad copters when I saw this video. FPV flying looks so bad ass.

And this company is coming out with a pre-build/configured one, for lazy builders like me.
Yea wow, affordable air racing that looks awesome. I guess at some point it's just more expensive than an Occulus Rift if you're doing that sort of thing though?

fris

Vyemm Raider
cheapest and most reliable way into drones is the hubsan X4. you can buy a replacement motor and try to solder the tiny wires, but at 40 bucks for a new one, who cares

New Version Upgraded Hubsan X4 V2 H107L 2.4G 4CH RC Quadcopter RTF - US$40.99

you can get a handful of extra batteries for 20 bucks. the range on this thing is crazy for its size, easily 300+ feet. the video quality on the X4 that comes with a 2mp camera is decent as well. the it's small enough to fly inside, do flips in a fairly open room.

i also got a blade qx350. i had a gopro mounted to it and FPV. FPV tech isn't quite there yet. even w/ $400 goggles, the video isn't really immersive. i never upgrades based the 5gh transmitter so i couldn't fly around a bush w/o losing video feed. the qx350 is a fun machine, hella quick and can do some amazing flips and barrel rolls

i have a few friends w/ the DJi phantom and inspire. the video they take is amazing and it has insane flight time due to it's batteries.

then another friend more enjoys building them himself, has a few 250s and a 650. i think he crashes about 1:4 flights so the building & rebuilding happens more than him flying.

Bandwagon

Kolohe
<Silver Donator>
Anyone looking to do FPV really needs to watch IBcrazy's videos from readymaderc. The tech is definitely available to have near latency-free FPV over a few miles out, but there are a lot of variables to consider. I'll post some links when I'm on the computer.

As far as the business goes, this last week has been a little scary/exciting. I've had 3 people join the company, all 3 having much more impressive resumes than my own. We had a meeting at the college on Friday to talk about some plans for their drone course next year, and I'm going back on Wednesday as a guest speaker for the precision agriculture program. One of the guys that joined my company has already hammered through more of the FAA paperwork in 3 days than I've done in the last 5 months.

It's funny how fast an obsessive/compulsive personality can generate results when mixed with insomnia.

Bandwagon

Kolohe
<Silver Donator>
I crash my Hubsan on a regular basis. Had it over a year and still love the damn thing. Though the FPV stuff looks awesome. Might think about getting one of them setups but I would abuse it and prolly end up on the news or in jail.
If you're not afraid of consorting with old nerds, look for your closest AMA club and join up. Some of the events they put on are more fun than any of the "mischievous" stuff you might get up to on your own, and they are ALWAYS selling stuff for cheap, including fpv equipment

Sludig

Silver Baronet of the Realm
Advice prease.

Hubsan x4 much recommended, but for $20 more this Syma has ghetto FPV. Wondering if that isn't a better choice if im interested in trying out FPV. (Goggles flying like in those vids is my end goal if I stay commited.)
Syma X5SC New Version Syma X5SC - 1 Falcon HD Camera 4 Channel 2.4G RC Quadcopter 6 Axis 3D Flip Fly UFO-66.00 and Free Shipping| GearBest.com

Or even cheaper I've seen a lot of adds for this little $16 bugger. Cheerson cx-10.

Seems hard to evaluate quads as every store/website seems like they all have raving reviews when I know theres no way thats the case.

Unless I find something better, if I stick with it I was thinking something like the immersionrc vortex. I dont know how strong it is though, I'd kinda like to get into some of the faster stuff like in previous vids in thread. (Maybe not the out of sight in 2 seconds model, but the other terrain manuevering ones that seem fast.)

Had a lot of people local like DJI Phantoms? Theres one on CL for a seemingly decent deal? $650 -- But my impression was these fly smooth, but arn't exactly impressive in forward speed department?
DJI Phantom 2 Quadcopter
Zenmuse H3-2D Gimbal
Extra battery
Extra props
Immersion RC 600mw 5.8 GHz A/V Transmitter
DJI iOSD Mini On-Screen Display for Real-Time Flight Information
5.8GHz Fatshark spiroNET Antenne Set
Lilliput 664/W 7 inch LCD FPV Monitor W/5.8 GHz 8 Channel video receiver built in.
(The Lilliput monitor is powered by Canon LP-E6 battery, not included.)
Bracket to attach FPV monitor to Phantom remote control.

Bandwagon

Kolohe
<Silver Donator>
The phantom is kind of the standard for quad photography. It does have waypoints, unlike my q500, but I don't think they've added camera control in the waypoints yet. The 3DR Solo is in the same category, but has much more fuctionality.

If you do get a phantom, make sure it is the later model with shielding around the gps and compass. They've had a lot of issues with flyaways do to the motors magnetic interference. Also, don't get the model without the higher quality gimble. After a few days, you'll be disappointed when you realize the quality difference.

Lastly, don't spend that much money on one unless you can handle it when it crashes/flys away. Even if you got a brand new one, DJI has the worst customer service out of all the manufacturers. In a situation where a legitimate malfuction causes it to crash/getaway, it's hard to get a replacement.

Bandwagon

Kolohe
<Silver Donator>
Sorry, got long winded. The zenmuse is a good gimble from what I hear, but do you have your own go pro to put on it?

It's definitely not quick like the racing quads, but that wouldn't be a bad setup to get started. I think you'll learn a lot quicker if you build your own though, and save money in the long term.

Sludig

Silver Baronet of the Realm
Dad used to be into RC, might pressure him on the phantom. (Big dollar engineer). Would have to get a go pro with it.

Probably not my speed then. I like these ones that have just the wide open basic frame and mostly flown low and seem built with crashes in mind and just replacing parts.

I'm horrible about figuring out orientation, even have problems with like rc cars and tracks figuring out left/right when turning the wheel. Not that I do much of that. Kinda why I was thinking for beginner test model some kind of basic FPV might be ideal to see how I like it.

Revised list of what I'm looking at. X4 hubsan or dromida ominus for basic non camera + cheerson for lulz.
For Cheap attempt FPV I'm now torn on the fpv version of the ominus, syma x5sw explorers, and while hideous seems good reviews on WLtoys V686G.

Srathor

Blackwing Lair Raider
Damn. That Lily camera is impressive. If it is real. Prolly 1500 bucks though. Hmm checked the website. 500 bucks. They take the money for the pre-order right away. The will refund if you cancel. <wink wink>

I wish my life was exciting enough to need one. Ahh well.

Srathor

Blackwing Lair Raider
Sludig, the ImmersionRC Vortex is likely going to be the one to beat for price and speed, but it is still in pre-order at the moment for fpv. Also you need to get other stuff to do it justice. FatCat goggles and such. The FPV hubsan x4 is down to around 170ish on amazon but it has a tiny screen built into the controller. Not sure if it is able to be picked up with goggles or not. (I have enough fun with my 39 buck hubsan x4 Though I had to order a new one, a wind gust and a really big tree ate mine yesterday.

There are some neat things happening with the drones though, that Lily is a really amazing idea.

Bandwagon

Kolohe
<Silver Donator>
Just a couple random files. Someone else is doing the post processing for me, but this is another one of my attempts to stitch a small area.
The video is just the HUD during the flight. I think I had my best auto-landing this afternoon, followed shortly after by the worst auto-landing yet, which donated the plane's landing gear to the wheat field.

The guy doing the post-processing for the business is definitely producing more impressive results than what I'm capable of, but I still think these stitches are cool.

edit: the (boring) hud video is still uploading

Srathor

Blackwing Lair Raider
Sludig, the Syma quad is not a fpv prebuilt quad. It has a camera that records to memory then you download it after. From everything I have read, the fpv quads are normally quipped with 2 cameras, a gimble mounted gopro camera type for hi def stuff, then a low def fpv that helps you fly it but ain't that pretty. I have a buddy that got a hubsanx4 fpv for mothers day and I'll see what she thinks of it over the next couple of days. If I was gonna blow the money for fpv I would be moving into the vortex and or the more expensive ones. (Hubsan OVA) if it comes out any time soon.

BrutulTM

<Silver Donator>
Just a couple random files. Someone else is doing the post processing for me, but this is another one of my attempts to stitch a small area.
The video is just the HUD during the flight. I think I had my best auto-landing this afternoon, followed shortly after by the worst auto-landing yet, which donated the plane's landing gear to the wheat field.

The guy doing the post-processing for the business is definitely producing more impressive results than what I'm capable of, but I still think these stitches are cool.

edit: the (boring) hud video is still uploading
That is cool, but what are they going to use it for exactly? Do they have some sort of computerized fertilizer application that is going to use these pics to decide how much to apply where?