Bandwagon's Drones Thread

Bandwagon

Kolohe
<Silver Donator>
That is cool, but what are they going to use it for exactly? Do they have some sort of computerized fertilizer application that is going to use these pics to decide how much to apply where?
That's pretty much right on the money. This is just a RGB/visible spectrum ortho that I made with microsoft ice. The service we're offering is using near infra-red to detect crop stress in a visible image, and the outputs are able to be plugged in directly with some of the existing equipment. I'm very, very thankful that the ag guy joined up, because I just barely have a grasp on what we're doing and he explains it much better. I learned just enough to build the drone around the capabilities, without really understanding how the farmers are going to apply the info after I give it to them.

I just know how to make it fly.

Sludig

Silver Baronet of the Realm
Sludig, the Syma quad is not a fpv prebuilt quad. It has a camera that records to memory then you download it after. From everything I have read, the fpv quads are normally quipped with 2 cameras, a gimble mounted gopro camera type for hi def stuff, then a low def fpv that helps you fly it but ain't that pretty. I have a buddy that got a hubsanx4 fpv for mothers day and I'll see what she thinks of it over the next couple of days. If I was gonna blow the money for fpv I would be moving into the vortex and or the more expensive ones. (Hubsan OVA) if it comes out any time soon.
This one?Syma X5SW Explorers 2 Wifi FPV RC Quadcopter 2.0MP Camera RTF Sale-Banggood.com, no it is fpv. Wireless signal to a phone. Look at the pics.

Theres yes I've noticed camera focused fpv's with 2 camera, one for the good pics and one for piloting. The ones I've been looking at are like in the forest racing vids and only have the camera for fpv.

Srathor

Blackwing Lair Raider
Ahh that is an updated version (Explorers 2) but is not yet released for sale. So they are recommending the 1 version which does not have the fpv. funny. The drone market right now is a lot like the pc market in the 80's Buyer beware. Everyone is making their own thing, regulators are drooling, bureaucrats are fuming, and geeks are running Amok!

Bandwagon

Kolohe
<Silver Donator>
I've been working on fixing the landing gear on the drone this morning, and my girlfriend said "Can you take a break from the plane and take care of the recycling?", then got in the shower.

I made this for her before she got out of the bathroom.

rrr_img_97865.jpg

Kais

<Gold Donor>
My latest project. One or two more practice sessions in before i film the real races.

Srathor

Blackwing Lair Raider
I would want to see you tearing around the racetrack trying to keep up with the drivers. Or better yet racing quads like the newly released Vortex just screaming around that track.

BrutulTM

Good, bad, I'm the guy with the gun.
<Silver Donator>
What kind of rules do you have for how close you can get to the track? I can just imagine somebody going for a big shot and pushing the wrong button and flying into somebody's windshield and causing a crash.

Kais

<Gold Donor>
Not a quad, a hexa. Way more stable. And it's a GoPro on a 3-axis gimbal with a polarized filter. I've got this baby tuned with zero jello, and several flight modes programmed to allow for fine to coarse control depending on conditions.

Pro-tip: mask off any power supply that might feed into the GoPro from your video out harness. They are notoriously bad at RFI because of it's internal charging circuit. The interference can mess with certain GPS pucks causing flyaways due to magnetic compass interference. More commonly it disrupts video quality in your Vtx. GoPro has stated they are aware of the issue but since it's less than the FCC maximum allowable RFI for a consumer product they have no plans to change it. Some folks have gone so far as to disassemble the housing and coat it with aluminum foil to shield it, but this obviously voids the warranty. This has been a problem for any version of the GoPro 1-4.

Kais

<Gold Donor>
I had to sign a waiver of liability against myself or my property to even be beyond the stands. Beyond that, the restrictions are essentially the same as any other. I won't fly over the crowd or directly over the track. Innfield and pits are fine.

Bandwagon

Kolohe
<Silver Donator>
Is the distortion correction a filter or post processing?

And you're supposed to filter vtx power...but you're not fly I mg with the go pro Wi-Fi enabled, are you? That's the only issue I've heard of with gopros causing interference.

Kais

<Gold Donor>
Sure i have a torroid on my Vtx power. What i was meaning is if you power the gopro from its usb port as opposed to letting it run on pure battery (some gimbals and video out cables allow this through the usb port) the RFI produced from the charging circuit introduces distortion into the video out line. Grainy picture, lines, snow.

Wifi? oh god no. A 2.4ghz transmitter inches away from the control receiver is just begging to lose control of your craft.

Lens distortion is corrected for in post.

fris

Vyemm Raider
What kind of rules do you have for how close you can get to the track? I can just imagine somebody going for a big shot and pushing the wrong button and flying into somebody's windshield and causing a crash.
drone rules are really in flux right now. but there's very little inforcement. if you fly in an open field, your yard, or even an AMA field and don't cause any harm, don't expect anything to happen. If you fly over your property or an open area, nothing to really worry about. If you do something stupid like fly over a baseball field or crash into your neighbors bedroom window, expect trouble.http://www.popsci.com/new-faa-propos...ig-flying-deal

If you are worried about liability, join AMA. for like $55/year, you get a few million dollars coverage. so if your quad does crap out in the air and hurts someone in crashing, you're covered.Academy of Model Aeronautics - Membership Options

in theory the AMA membership also pays for lobbyist to work on your behalf.

Bandwagon

Kolohe
<Silver Donator>
I'm not sure what Kais' intention is with his filming, but I'm pretty sure that the ama isn't covering commercial operations. Still worth the membership costs.

Kais

<Gold Donor>
My intention is to go commercial, but since i don't have a pilots license i cannot apply for an exemption. I'm doing all of this as a hobbyist right now, building contacts.

Bandwagon

Kolohe
<Silver Donator>
You're probably going to need ground school for the uas license anyways. Have you thought about doing that?

2 of the guys I partnered up with have their commercial license, but it sucks that I won't even be able to fly my own for the business.

Sludig

Silver Baronet of the Realm
Ordered the seemignly new EAmachine H8, aka cheerson cx10 clone but apparently seems better?Eachine H8 Mini Headless Mode 2.4G 4CH 6 Axis RC Quadcopter RTF Sale-Banggood.com

While I wait for it to arrive I'm torn between getting a Dromida Ominus and learning bigger/better on that then get my Electrical engineer father to help with adding my own FPV camera and transmitter. (Rather than the DO FPV version as it sounds like for serious piloting i dont want wifi for lag etc?, also could probably build it lighter) Or Just getting the hubsan x4 H107D FPV which after hours seems to be consistant winner in my book for the cheaper RTF FPV drones.

Ulitmate goal would be the just released Immersion Vortex flying on a fat shark. Since those and a receiver probably would round out to a thousand? Figured even the $150 on other fpv drone tide me over/better risk at deciding if i want to take up the hobby for serious.

Bandwagon

Kolohe
<Silver Donator>
Ordered the seemignly new EAmachine H8, aka cheerson cx10 clone but apparently seems better?Eachine H8 Mini Headless Mode 2.4G 4CH 6 Axis RC Quadcopter RTF Sale-Banggood.com

While I wait for it to arrive I'm torn between getting a Dromida Ominus and learning bigger/better on that then get my Electrical engineer father to help with adding my own FPV camera and transmitter. (Rather than the DO FPV version as it sounds like for serious piloting i dont want wifi for lag etc?, also could probably build it lighter) Or Just getting the hubsan x4 H107D FPV which after hours seems to be consistant winner in my book for the cheaper RTF FPV drones.

Ulitmate goal would be the just released Immersion Vortex flying on a fat shark. Since those and a receiver probably would round out to a thousand? Figured even the $150 on other fpv drone tide me over/better risk at deciding if i want to take up the hobby for serious.
The ominus is great for just fucking around, and everything on it is very easily replaceable, but it's still pretty small and lightweight. The kodo is even smaller and harder to fly, as well as being more crash resistant. I think the small ones are great to learn on because they're such a pain in the ass to keep control of, but they tend to bounce off stuff.

And here is a snippet fromRMRCabout frequency selection
Q4: What frequency should I use for my FPV system and why?

Beyond the arguments and opinions available on the forums, there are some basic rules that you should apply. The most important is that you should NOT use the same frequency for video as you use for RC control. Even if it appears successful for ground testing, you will introduce noise in the video from the RC controller transmissions, and you could lose RC control of your plane once you start flying. Always use a different frequency. Also, regardless of the frequency used, it?s important to have as much distance as possible between your video transmitter and your RC receiver, and ALWAYS perform a range check both before the video equipment is on and after to make sure your RC range hasn?t been significantly affected.

If you are using 2.4GHz for RC control, it?s important to note that you should be using a full range receiver and not a park flyer receiver. For Spektrum, you should be using an AR7000 or higher model. If you are in an area where there will not be interference from 2.4GHz sources such as RC radios, Wifi, or other similar wireless equipment, then often 2.4GHz offers the best picture quality and excellent performance. Most people don?t live in this type of area, so other frequencies may be useful. Here?s a summary of my opinions regarding the various frequencies available:

900MHz: Can offer some of the best range. A wide selection of antennas are available and in most areas it does not have much outside interference. Can penetrate obstacles such as trees and walls better than higher frequencies (but you still should maintain line-of-sight when flying). It may not be legal in some countries, and is restricted to one channel (910MHz) in the US. Some of the antennas can be large because of the wavelength at this frequency. It can cause some servos to jitter due to improper filtering in the servo.

1.2-1.3GHz (1200-1300MHz): Offers excellent range and also seems to be mostly clear of interference in the US and in other countries. Can penetrate obstacles such as trees and walls better than higher frequencies (but you still should maintain line-of-sight when flying). It may not be legal in some countries, and is restricted to one channel (1280MHz) in the US. This is personally my favorite frequency here in the US.

2.4GHz: Offers excellent video quality and sometimes stereo audio depending on the equipment. In areas without interference, 2.4GHz can work amazingly well and is the favorite of many. Although it will penetrate some obstacles, it is absorbed more than some of the lower frequencies and care should be taken to avoid flying behind obstacles. It may receive interference from the abundance of 2.4GHz devices available, and cannot be used with 2.4GHz RC Systems. Some goggles have built in 2.4GHz receivers, which can make an amazingly portable FPV system.

5.8GHz: Has the benefit of using newer technology in the RF module designs similar to 2.4GHz, but there is almost no interference on this frequency band. Very clear video and often stereo audio is included. Will not have the same range given the same power output, but still can be good for flying longer distances with the proper antennas. Will not penetrate obstacles well and the video may go away abruptly if you fly behind a tree. Also seems to be more sensitive to multipath interference in some situations. Some goggles have built in 5.8GHz receivers, which can make an amazingly portable FPV system.