Bandwagon's Drones Thread

Bandwagon

Kolohe
<Silver Donator>
Well, the stitch quality has gotten a little better, but my poor laptop can't keep up. This is a stitch of 60 out of 400 pictures.

rrr_img_98154.jpg

Kais

<Gold Donor>
Looking good man!

I forget, did you put the HKPilot into a quad/hexa or into a plane? How is your experience with it? Any drawbacks? If you had to do it again would you still get the HKPilot or Pixhawk? It's one of the controllers i'm debating for my next build (either a 800mm hexa or a 700mm x8).

Bandwagon

Kolohe
<Silver Donator>
I'm very, very happy with the HKpilot32. I would absolutely get the pixhawk just to support 3dr and the community, but my budget was tight. this is a great clone.

Bandwagon

Kolohe
<Silver Donator>
And I put it in a plane because I wanted longer endurance. Honestly, it's barely better than a quad in that regard, but that's because this is my first build and there are a lot of things (almost all of them) that I would do differently. Since my plane is functional and flies well as-is, I'm going to leave it alone and change some stuff on the next build. I'm building a 2nd penguin that will have retracts, run on 4s, and have a ~800kv motor with a 10 or 12 inch prop on the CXN motor mount. Right now, I have a lot of the electronics mounted in poor locations that reduces range and doesn't give great accuracy, so all that will change on the next build, too.

I just don't want to fuck with the one I have right now because it's finally able to generate an income.

Knytestorme_sl

shitlord
I've got a Hero 4 Black and am getting interested in getting in to aerial for fun but not sure which way to go. Should I just grab a Phantom 2 with H4 gimbal or forget about using the H4 and grab a Phantom 3? Main question is if the camera quality in the 3 is at the same level (at least) of the H4B I guess.

Kais

<Gold Donor>
GH4 and H4-3D on anything is pretty damn amazing. 3-axis gimbals are a must when it comes to image stabilization. More generally it's because DJI makes great gimbals that are plug-and-play. But if you want to use a non-DJI flight controller that offers different capabilities (like detailed waypoint parameters and flight profiles, enhanced telemetry, etc. It's the old Apple v Windows 98 era all over again) then getting pro gimbal setups gets expensive. The 4k setups with RED cameras are just silly. Don't read into that as a bash on DJI flight controllers though. The A2 system is top tier.

For reference of how good the GoPros are, most of all the footage you see on tv action shows like Deadliest Catch are from them.

But yeah, not the Phantom. While they are great fliers they have one glaring problem for good film platforms imo; you will invariably have parts of your shots occluded by props, arms, and legs.

Knytestorme_sl

shitlord
We have less options for things over here so DJI is about the only real option and my thought was I have the H4B so up to 4k is done and if the quality is as good as the camera DJI put in the Phantom 3 then I may as well save a few hundred and get the Phantom 2 with H4 gimbal.

For reference;
Phantom 2 + gimbal = $1439
Phantom 2 Vision+ = $1779
Phantom 3 Pro = $1950

DJI Phantom 2 Quadcopter - Buy Now in Australia

Bandwagon

Kolohe
<Silver Donator>
I'm on board with what Kais said. The phantom is pretty solid, but there are a handful of things that will end up forcing you to upgrade later. For me, it's the fact that you're at their mercy for software updates and new features, especially waypoint navigation.

Sludig

Golden Baronet of the Realm
Dromida Ominus showed up. Taken a beating already I'm happy with it. My 100+ lb german shepherd terrified of it. Thought he was over it and just curious when hed start moseying up on it cautiously while flying low till he attacked it. No damage but apparently not a fun for whole family thing.

FIL made the point of why not ad a hook and make a game of picking up and dropping off army men or something on little landing pads. Figure it might help as I learn to fly more precisely. Though end goal still FPV. I definately get turned around bad when it faces towards me or especially at an angle.

Need to spend the time looking at all the mods and part swaps I know are out there for it.

Bandwagon

Kolohe
<Silver Donator>
Same field, different method of post processing.

rrr_img_98561.jpg

and this is the management zones that are created in the farm management software.

rrr_img_98562.jpg

fris

Vyemm Raider
just bought a dji phantom 3 w/ the 4k camera. you can get 720p video over 2 miles away, jsut hook up any iOS or android device to the controller. buddy showed me 1 video and that was it. hopefully get it next week.

Bandwagon

Kolohe
<Silver Donator>
Dromida Ominus showed up. Taken a beating already I'm happy with it. My 100+ lb german shepherd terrified of it. Thought he was over it and just curious when hed start moseying up on it cautiously while flying low till he attacked it. No damage but apparently not a fun for whole family thing.

FIL made the point of why not ad a hook and make a game of picking up and dropping off army men or something on little landing pads. Figure it might help as I learn to fly more precisely. Though end goal still FPV. I definately get turned around bad when it faces towards me or especially at an angle.

Need to spend the time looking at all the mods and part swaps I know are out there for it.
What are you getting for flight times on that?

Sludig

Golden Baronet of the Realm
Kinda scattered. I havnt actually timed it. With nieces, was getting I feel like probably a 10minute casual floating about a living room. On another occasion I took the battery soon after it was flashing that it was done and outside did all of like 2 flips, some high driving into the sky, and otherwise bunch of buzzing from one side of the yard to other that felt like 4minutes....

Definately interested in seeing what better batteries I can cram into the thing. I know I just can't go get a 5s or whatever without certain electronics needing different bits because of the voltages or something?

Bandwagon

Kolohe
<Silver Donator>
Definitely don't go above the recommended cells. 1S = 3.7v nominal.

So 5s is 3.7x5. I don't know what the ominus can handle, but look for higher mAH, not voltage/cells.

edit: I don't know what the weight is on the stock 1s 700mAh battery, buthereis a 1s 1600mAh from hobbyking for $8. 20c instead of 25c, but I think it'll be fine.