Bandwagon's Drones Thread

Aazrael

Silver Baronet of the Realm
We have 2 minis and just had a gimbal on one break yesterday. Sounds like a common problem.

The other guy that flies one just asked me to order a mavic air 2 for him because the mini has shit range and shitty wind tolerance.
Just saw in one video about a gimbal flicking but it was the first I heard about it.

And yea I would buy a bigger drone if I could but they get a bit too pricey for me. If this is something I use a lot I might look into an upgrade in the future.

Not sure what climate you live in but have you used them in below freezing? At least on the "varmer" winter days one should be able to fly them without the battery freezing.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Bandwagon

Kolohe
<Silver Donator>
Just saw in one video about a gimbal flicking but it was the first I heard about it.

And yea I would buy a bigger drone if I could but they get a bit too pricey for me. If this is something I use a lot I might look into an upgrade in the future.

Not sure what climate you live in but have you used them in below freezing? At least on the "varmer" winter days one should be able to fly them without the battery freezing.
I've flown in below freezing and over 100. Haven't ever had much of an issue in cold weather, other than the props icing up

• 1Like

Bandwagon

Kolohe
<Silver Donator>
I've gotten in the habit of adding my QA/QC results to my online GIS portal and tying them to my mapping boundaries polygon layer so I can summarize them in my UAS dashboard. I started using Metashape (in permanent free/trial mode) to estimate image quality and export to CSV after all the bullshit with the Phantom 4 Pro V2 camera issues. It takes me 5-10 minutes to use Arc Pro to append new data to these layers on each flight, so not a lot of extra time on each project to maintain this.

Comes in handy, too. For instance, I had this flight set up to run at 13mph and the pilot was supposed to keep the camera in shutter-priority at 1/800 for all of the mapping photos. This was a little red flag that popped up right as I was starting to do post-processing QA/QC and noticed that the SW portion of the project was a little bit fuzzier. Turns out it was a little pixel blur. The camera settings reset (back to auto) about 30% of the time when doing a battery swap, so they're supposed to re-check the camera settings after every flight.

1623773581415.png

1623773820215.png

A few other sites....

Pretty bad checkpoint deltas on this one. First flight for a competing surveying company and it turns out their field crew was taking checkshots in wheel ruts without a topo shoe (in a dirt field)
1623773973546.png

Stop & Shoot flight (instead of shooting on the move)
1623774046118.png

And Metashape image quality estimation...
1623774095641.png

1623774140784.png

1623774176517.png

• 1Mother of God

Aazrael

Got the Mini 2 yesterday and tried some flying and recording. A lot better to fly than the Spark and the connection to the drone is insane compared to the Sparks crappy range.

Having some issue with my Samsung S21 Ultra though, recording at 4k 30fps freezes the screen. Seems like a known issue. I solved it temporarily by going back to DJI Fly 1.4.0 from 1.4.2.

Overall very satisfied with the purchase, just need to get out in nature to gets some nice shots.

• 1Like

Aazrael

Heres my first real drone footage edited together to some shape of a watchable clip. First time I edit anything in my life as well. Don't be too hard on me, I was quite drunk while flying and had to cut lots of jerky movement.

I think I will buy some camera filters to get better quality on sunny days.

• 2Like
Reactions: 1 users

Bandwagon

Kolohe
<Silver Donator>
Hey Vepil Vepil and L Lenardo - Are you guys slammed right now? We have 30 open positions and will end up opening 30 more once those get filled. Been trying to find a surveyor for almost 3 years now. The only good one that I found so far ended up moving back to North Dakota because he can't stand the politics in WA (LOL). I'm busier than I've ever been with drone stuff, but also stupid busy with the GIS sidework that I kind of invented for myself. Finally going to be interviewing candidates for a GIS position the week after next.

I'm getting 1-3 requests a day for UAS flights and about 1-4 calls a day about various GIS help requests or project work. AEC is full steam over here right now.

• 1Like

Vepil

Gamja
<Bronze Donator>
We are slammed but are getting to be busier than we are comfortable with. I moved to a new company a few months ago so we have full drone and laser scanning capabilities. Since we do not market our company or services, 94% of our business is repeat clients we have started to move out into newer fields. We are working on BIM and full Revit models LOD 100 - 500 services for our clients and proposing to architects around the SE. I am also researching adding LiDAR to our drone for mapping some large solar projects, 2000 AC and up.

To be honest we probably could use another field crew, our utility client keeps two crews full time and are using one of our two private crews almost every day now. The RLS has been in the field for the last two weeks helping out to keep a huge scanning project of Hartsfield Jackson Airport going.

Our GIS team has a get this, a 10 year back log of work right now and were selected as finalists for a major FL contract that would be for 5 years. We have one client that told us under no circumstances is anyone else building their data centers and they plan 20 over the next 5 years. They also told us where they are planned and to open offices in those locations to support the data centers.

• 2Like
Reactions: 1 users

Bandwagon

Kolohe
<Silver Donator>
We are slammed but are getting to be busier than we are comfortable with. I moved to a new company a few months ago so we have full drone and laser scanning capabilities. Since we do not market our company or services, 94% of our business is repeat clients we have started to move out into newer fields. We are working on BIM and full Revit models LOD 100 - 500 services for our clients and proposing to architects around the SE. I am also researching adding LiDAR to our drone for mapping some large solar projects, 2000 AC and up.

To be honest we probably could use another field crew, our utility client keeps two crews full time and are using one of our two private crews almost every day now. The RLS has been in the field for the last two weeks helping out to keep a huge scanning project of Hartsfield Jackson Airport going.

Our GIS team has a get this, a 10 year back log of work right now and were selected as finalists for a major FL contract that would be for 5 years. We have one client that told us under no circumstances is anyone else building their data centers and they plan 20 over the next 5 years. They also told us where they are planned and to open offices in those locations to support the data centers.
What kind of jobs are you guys using the scanning on? Mainly for architects? We still don't have any clients that actually ask for point clouds or bim models, so it's basically up to us on whether we want to use them to get the linework.
How big is your new company?

• 1Like

Vepil

Gamja
<Bronze Donator>
What kind of jobs are you guys using the scanning on? Mainly for architects? We still don't have any clients that actually ask for point clouds or bim models, so it's basically up to us on whether we want to use them to get the linework.
How big is your new company?
We are hovering around 195 employees currently and we did $384M last year and so far are on target to do a bit over $400M this year. We use the scanner on a lot of jobs for mapping intersections, substations, water and sewer plants, airports and now trying to get into BIM As-built scanning and modeling.

We use the drone for the normal mapping but have been pushing into the inspection and inventory of Electrical Transmission/Distribution lines lately. With the government regulations on Electrical Co-ops we are getting a lot of requests for that service and scanning substations for upgrades and retrofits.

Bandwagon

Kolohe
<Silver Donator>
Oh I didn't realize the firm was <1k people. Sounded like a large firm when I first read it.

It's aggravating that you guys have a gis department and I'm just now convincing them to start one. I cannot believe an environmental eng firm didn't have one 10 years ago and they'd still be 100% cad if i hadn't been obsessing over gis for the last 3 years. I think we'll be fine starting one internally with a key hire or two, but I've been recommending that we acquire a mobile lidar company for the last 2 years in the strategic planning meetings. All of the ones I see around here are small firms that cover a lot of ground in the field and have a handful of techs in the office to digitize. We have plenty of projects that could benefit from it, just not the expertise to draft with it efficiently. I think I've only recently realized how hard it is to find people that are interested in figuring any new shit out on their own. It's so damn obvious which people are passionate about work versus which ones are just "at work".

[Sorry, it took me about 6 tries to finish that because I kept having to put my phone down. Disjointed ramble....]

Vepil

Gamja
<Bronze Donator>
Our field has a lot of people with a "job" now, not as many see it as a profession and it hurts.

Old surveyors in GA are their worst enemy, they allowed Photogrammeratry, GIS and Drones to get out of their control and anyone can do it without a license. They were so dead set on pushing degrees for surveyors they missed the boat on those professions.

We are seeing a lot of push for ESRI ArcGIS Online services so far. This is by far the easiest way for a client to get their data organized and out to customers without the huge investment for professionals and arcgis server license.

Aazrael

Got me some ND filters so I can use low ISO and better camera settings. But unfortunately it's been too damn windy the last few weeks. Will try do some filming in what summer we have left here.

Seeing as we have more winter than summer here I hope I get to fly it a bit during the winter months, from what I understand its basically keeping the batteries warm before you fly and don't go out during the coldest days.

Lenardo

Vyemm Raider
we are busy, but right now our income is hurting due to the time the CITIES are taking to approve projects.

no plans on going to GIS as of yet, but we are steadily working.

but yeah old surveyors are hindering some progress. because gis work lidar etc TECHNICALLY is not Land Surveying. we can use the data to DO land surveyoring but in and of itself, it is not.

in my state i LITERALLY cannot not use lidar and or photogrammetry for land court submissions WITHOUT doing a full normal survey along side of it. because one of the requirements is...actual SHOTS you take to be submitted for review by Land Court. and during say may thru november for most of the state we cannot use photogrammetry for the vast majority of projects. too many trees.

you have to remember the AVERAGE AGE of a professional registered land surveyor is 55.

FIFTY FIVE. which means there are a SHIT TON of land surveyors over that age.

for the record....I am 55.