Bandwagon's Drones Thread

• Guest, it's time once again for the hotly contested and exciting FoH Asshat Tournament!

Go here and fill out your bracket!
    Who's been the biggest Asshat in the last year? Once again, only you can decide!

Bandwagon

Kolohe
<Silver Donator>
Good to hear, that's the kind of use that I've been hoping the surveyors would get out of it.

You think it's worth the effort to set up and maintain? We have 3 survey offices and about 30-40 people in the survey group, if that makes a difference.

Bandwagon

Kolohe
<Silver Donator>
Might have lost a surveyor in Quincy, WA yesterday. His name is Leo, started shortly after I did in 2016.

He was tying a road monument in a crosswalk at an intersection and got hit by a car. It sounds like he did everything he was supposed to - flashing lights were on, traffic cones & signs/flagging were out, safety vest on, etc.

He was flown to Seattle and he's in critical condition right now in intensive care. Sounds like he hasn't been conscious since the accident, brain hemorrhaging and the surgeon "...isn't optimistic".

I don't know whether to say "he is" or "he was" a good guy right now, but it's probably the latter. Very, very nice guy. Very patient and thorough, easy to get a long with. Real bummer situation.

The other field guy had to pack up both hotel rooms, and also try to wrangle Leo's dog into the truck and bring everything home last night. I went back in and picked up his dog, he'll be staying with me for awhile.

Lenardo

Vyemm Raider
damn that sucks :( we have the same issue, do everything right and damn if a fucking car/truck doesn't almost sideswipe us with cones out and vests on etc.... luckily for us 99% of all our work is off the road-sidewalks ftw-, but those time when we have to be in the ROW ...we tend to park our vehicle in such a way so that we can see what we need to see and people would have to plow thru the suv FIRST. WE have not - knock on wood- every been hit by a car, but our total stations/tripods have been victimized by vehicles a few times -even when surrounded by traffic cones.

if we are on a major road...we get a traffic detail from the local police (MA is weird that way, police only generally no flagmen) and charge our client the fee(minimum of 3hr for the detail @ like 60 an hr).

Vepil

Gamja
<Bronze Donator>
We do the same here in Atlanta, park the truck in the lane we are working in and then move on as quickly as possible.

I am really sorry to hear that though Bandwagon, we lost a surveyor late last year doing the same work. He was by the book safe and still got ran over. Always hard and having worked in roadway construction and around survey most of my career even once is too much sometimes.

Bandwagon

Kolohe
<Silver Donator>
Well, he's alive....just barely. I don't feel like rattling off the specifics, but it's about as bad as possible while still having a heartbeat.

Lenardo

Vyemm Raider
glad he is alive, HOPE he makes a recovery,,, but from what you said doesn't sound good :(.

I Failed my PLS state test to get my stamp (Finally found out, only took 3 months) and am taking it again on april 13th (3 days before i go on my vacation to Aruba) (i missed it by 2 questions, one of which i KNOW i got wrong and if i get the same test again(there are like 3 test variations), will get that one correct.

my boss finally got to see the drone fly- and see the results, liked em, wants to use them a bit more as i learn to do more.

tyen

EQ in a browser wait time: ____
<Banned>

image.png

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

tyen

<Banned>
shiiiiiiiiiiit

Mapbox getting some harsh competition then. No way in fuck they will be able to compete with Google dev manhours.

Ill def play with it, thx for the headsup

• 1Like

tyen

<Banned>
Looks like all info points to the Google Maps API Sales page. No download for this.

I did find that they are blowing their load at GDC on the 19th about this thing, so mebe they are releasing it then for the nerd horde.

Dicking around with IBM's Watson SDK in the meantime.
https://meet.google.com/nys-skzp-mcc

Also Bandwagon Bandwagon I got this contract with these nerds that run a solar company to make an AR educational game. It is an AR overlay of their area with 3 games: Turbine, Solar, and Grid Operator. So kids can learn about energy and shit as they walk around their grounds. They just open their app at a certain spot facing a certain heading and everything just plops into place. After about 50ft AR objects do drift, which is super annoying.

tyen

<Banned>
When I make these AR apps, it always looks weird placing models in my living room because its so out of place. Whenever the client puts the model in an appropriate environment I'm like "goddamn."

image.jpg

• 1Like

Lenardo

Vyemm Raider
work is looking to get a dedicated computer, just for the drone since it can EAT processing in my computer making me run my cad slow...

for a video card, what which be better ,,,, a 1080 ti or doing an SLI of 2 1070's

2x 1070's would have about 1200 more cores than a 1080ti..... but will that make a significant different timewise..also i7 or a threadripper processor... if we buy something for this, i want it as fast as possible...

Bandwagon

Kolohe
<Silver Donator>
i7 with 64gb and a.....970 (i think) serve me just fine, definitely include a SSD. I don't process anything over 300 images while I'm working on something else, though.
I've run two projects in the last week with over 2k images each, not much trouble.

Definitely don't get a Xeon, no matter what.

Don't you guys mainly work on sites <100acres? I can't imagine you need anything beefier than my setup if that's true. I'm regularly flying sites that are ~1,000-1,500 acres now, and my comp is barely sufficient. The few 3,000 acre sites were painful to process as one job.