Bandwagon's Drones Thread

Bandwagon

Kolohe
<Silver Donator>
Good Lord, that's a crispy Ortho too. This technique helped a TON with shadows from what I can tell. All of the areas that I would normally expect a blob of shadow points/noise are well defined with very little or zero noise. Uh....this is actually looking better than I was expecting. I'm wondering how much of it is because the pictures collected with the new capture plan are taken while the drone is stationary vs in-motion though.
1582909377702.png

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Lenardo

Vyemm Raider
so what you are doing is doing a normal flyover then doing spot flights where the drone flys up, spins in a circle stationary, taking shots say every 3 degrees then moving to a different spot, rinse and repeat? nice mosaic
this one of the tiles of the mosaic i did the other month. the full mosaic was too large to fit into my cad system (OLD v2006 cad)i could insert each tile of the mosaic though to overlay over my cad drawing. didn't update the topo i did (we wanted the mosaic because we needed to show the extrents of the clearing and work done on site) with gcp's so the overall topo is off by a bunch overall (18 feet) which is easily fixable if i imput the GCP's with elevations ( i have multiple stone bounds with elevations(you can see 10 bounds in this image if you know where to look), and manhole elevations- site goes from elevation 68 to elevation 220ish - this section is the lower section and shows the bridge/culvert they built for access over the wetland. the white dots on the ground to the right of the crosswalk are inspection ports
tile.jpg

Last edited:
  • 2Like
Reactions: 1 users

Bandwagon

Kolohe
<Silver Donator>
Yea, I'm doing a NADIR flight for ortho and a crosshatch/obliques flight to improve the point cloud and 3d altitude. I've been doing that for awhile on 3d projects, and I usually do the NADIR at 200ft and the crosshatch at 180, or 400/360.

For the new thing, which I'm just calling "3DRig" in my photo naming scheme, I create a mission in Litchi from a polyline that I've edited in GIS. I'll take my project site and break it down into sections, create a polyline through the centroid of each section, and then resample it to put a vertex every X feet. Then I import that polyline into VLM and add some take photo actions:

1582921218785.png

• 1Like

Lenardo

Vyemm Raider
my flight day was cloudy, hence no shadows...

and nice nice, provided we get more into it, might incorporate that sort of thing into the flight profile we do. right now, we are just minor players in this.

the mass association of land surveyors and civil engineers are having a seminar about surveying with lidar next month.

• 1Like

Bandwagon

Kolohe
<Silver Donator>
my flight day was cloudy, hence no shadows...

and nice nice, provided we get more into it, might incorporate that sort of thing into the flight profile we do. right now, we are just minor players in this.

the mass association of land surveyors and civil engineers are having a seminar about surveying with lidar next month.
I was asked to present at the "LSAW" conference this week, but I auto-decline every single time now. Presentations take too damn long to put together and always end up going off the rails 5 minutes in when people ask 200 questions. I'm working on one right now for a port, but there's an actual business opportunity there.

I'd still love to set up a plan and do the processing for you on a project some time. Let me set up a mission and instructions for you like I do my guys. ;)

Bandwagon

Kolohe
<Silver Donator>
....on a site that doesn't have buildings over 150ft, though.

I don't like planning flights remotely when they're below potential obstacles.

Bandwagon

Kolohe
<Silver Donator>
Just finishing up my last ortho for 9 as-builts and we found out that the field crew was using the wrong control points, so I have to re-process all of them now.

67650_O4P_RockGarden-FortRock4_2020-03-12.jpg

• 1Like

Lenardo

Vyemm Raider
ICK wrong control points sucks.

whats worse for us, happens occasionally if the older guys go out....all manual data collection (writing in the book) and.....they forget to set zero. but that is solvable/fixable.

Lenardo

Vyemm Raider
pix4d doing a webinar NOW for pix4dmatic survey scan inspect react and fields for the next ~90 minutes.

Edit, watched the matic and survey part, matic was eh.

survey was better but was just a general overview no real nitty gritty get into how it works stuff. i have it on in the background while i work on a foundation plot plan.

inspect might be good for you bandwagon, with doing solar fields etc. React too. doing accident scenes quickly etc.

if you do not already know about it that is :)

Last edited:

Bandwagon

Kolohe
<Silver Donator>
pix4d doing a webinar NOW for pix4dmatic survey scan inspect react and fields for the next ~90 minutes.

Edit, watched the matic and survey part, matic was eh.

survey was better but was just a general overview no real nitty gritty get into how it works stuff. i have it on in the background while i work on a foundation plot plan.
Shit, forgot that was today. I'm trying to get these solar maps out the door asap because the company is paying some insane tax (interest?) every day they have it on the books.

I was in the closed beta for Pix4d survey. I didn't get it at all, and neither did any of the surveyors on the message board. All of the digitizing tools were either exactly the same as Pix4d mapper, or they were worse. I didn't try it again after they took it offline and did the second beta, but I have trouble believing they added anything impressive to it since that was like 2 weeks of downtime. And I think all of this shit happened like 2 months ago, so I'm guessing they haven't really done anything useful for survey. I think they're just trying to break Pix4d Mapper apart into 5 different products they can sell.

Maybe I'm wrong.

Aychamo BanBan

<Banned>
Hey guys, bandwagon!

I'm looking for a drone to do the following: some kind of auto follow feature. Like I can ride my bicycle on the road and it would fly beside me or behind me and film me. And whatever about the drone so that I could turn on the feature and put my phone / controller away and focus on my activity and not fuck around with the drone until I'm ready to be done. This would be outside on streets without too many obstacles to avoid.

Do you have any suggestions?

Bandwagon

Kolohe
<Silver Donator>
I'm thinking DJI Mavic Air 2?
I'd stick with DJI for that period, but I can't give much input on first hand experience. I haven't really used that type of stuff for ~5years with the Yuneec drone I had. All the ones we use at work have it, but never have a reason to use it. I think any DJI drone other than the Mavic Mini has subject tracking built in, and if you use "Litchi Magic Leash" it'll actually track your phones GPS position instead of just visual object tracking. Probably more reliable.

Check out the PhantomPilots forum for advice on that.

• 2Like
Reactions: 1 users

Bandwagon

Kolohe
<Silver Donator>
The control points seemed a little.....weird, but cool to watch. I have no idea how much a thermal mapping flight over a volcano costs for a manned aircraft over this part of the world, but I really struggle to grasp how the mapping is done accurately and efficiently with a drone over something like this. I don't think that Phantom4 Flir camera is radiometric? Haven't really been paying attaching to thermal stuff. I've seen a lot of people doing the gas detection stuff lately though. That definitely seems to make sense.

The oblique images are cool as shit, though.

• 1Like

Mageling

Bronze Knight of the Realm
Hey guys, bandwagon!

I'm looking for a drone to do the following: some kind of auto follow feature. Like I can ride my bicycle on the road and it would fly beside me or behind me and film me. And whatever about the drone so that I could turn on the feature and put my phone / controller away and focus on my activity and not fuck around with the drone until I'm ready to be done. This would be outside on streets without too many obstacles to avoid.

Do you have any suggestions?

Have you owned a drone before? I'm going to give you my experiences so far from a new owner with hobbyist RC knowledge and too much time to do research while unemployed.

That being said, I'd give the Air 2 a try. I've had mine a few weeks now and have been over the moon with it.

While biking, you may want to get some kind of mount for the controller/smartphone for your handlebars. The biggest flaw I've run into so far was the problem with the lack of side sensors. This can cause some problems depending on height and what's around you. Downhill MTB? You're gonna have a bad time if you're going full-out and suddenly your drone decides it doesn't want to follow down the trail you just dropped into.

If you're just cruising on a bike? As long as you aren't profile shooting, I'd say you're good. I'm much more aware of just how many lines are in the air around me and was surprised how hard it was to find a local road that was both unused and didn't have trees or power lines along the road.

As far as quality, I've been impressed with the "48MP" sensor, though the fixed aperture can make some photo situations difficult. I'm always trying out different filters to give me the shutter speed I'm looking for. Filming is no different. Few links for you of what I've done.

Second day - finding it fits through small areas with sensors turned off. I'm dumb and shouldn't have done this since it's river below.

Day trip over the mountains to test out my new suspension & flying in the wind. This was ~12mph winds per my notes, with gusts up to 18. Note: This is stabilized in Premiere, but it didn't do a lot.

Wild Horses Monument Flyover. I wanted to test out the wind capabilities after being surprised by the video above. One of my first runs, I caught a nasty updraft that almost pulled the drone away. After being aware of how different the wind was acting 50-100' up, it was much easier to navigate and get a shot that looked decent. I'm trying to figure out the whole cinematography and transition moves and learning some of the finer control needed to look good on video.

Happy to provide any additional information you could want about the Mavic Air 2 if you're still in the market for a drone.

Bandwagon

Kolohe
<Silver Donator>
Had a couple phantoms fall out of the sky with no warning (no stress cracks, no apparent cause of failure), so I'm updating our SOPs and installing SafeAir parachutes on any of the drones that fly in more urban areas.

I also finally made a place to store all of our mapping flights in a map. I added past flights except those that have duplicate flights over the same area because I was being lazy and didn't want to figure all of those out in the scripting. Our actually mapping projects completed thus far is probably 20%-30% higher than what's shown, but duplicate flights over the site site will be logged from here on out.
1592848883918.png

1592848946906.png

Includes Misc project photos too
1592849012196.png

And an attachment viewer:
1592849766777.png

Last edited:
  • 1Like