Banshee

• Guest, it's time once again for the hotly contested and exciting FoH Asshat Tournament!

Go here and fill out your bracket!
    Who's been the biggest Asshat in the last year? Once again, only you can decide!

Sanrith Descartes

Veteran of a thousand threadban wars
<Aristocrat╭ರ_•́>
Necro-ing this thread. All four seasons of Banshee just got added to HBO Max.

• 2Like
Reactions: 1 users

Lanx

Oye Ve
<Prior Amod>
Necro-ing this thread. All four seasons of Banshee just got added to HBO Max.
source.gif

• 2Like
Reactions: 1 users

DickTrickle

Definitely NOT Furor Planedefiler
Watched this recently and thought it was good, but not great. Obviously had epic levels of T&A, but it just got so over the top and almost like a comic book at times with how convenient all the timing/action was. Like that first heist attempt Hood does when he's a Sheriff, somehow Carrie finds him in the middle of a city to pick him up and whisk him off to safety. Violence and gore is fun and all but when there's huge scenes of it without any real consequence again and again, it gets boring. Not to mention all the plot armor. I love how all these trained people can take on encounters where it's over 5 to 1 against them but then conveniently struggle against a single person later on. Or, they're popping off headshots and double taps and then they can't land one shot while standing still against a target running away from them 20 feet away. It's also stretching belief how often they're just taking glocks against rifles and winning without a problem. That kind of stuff really takes me out of it because I know none of it really matters. There just so often wasn't enough buildup or tension, no rhythm to the action beats.

I wish this show could have stayed a little more grounded, because it had some really good stretches in it. The characters were pretty good and fleshed out decently enough overall and the setting with all the various factions was a great foundation to work with. Proctor was this pretty horrible dude but you really believe it when he breaks down crying when his mother visits him in jail and tell him his crimes are his family's crimes for abandoning him.

My biggest pet peeve in terms of not having grounded action was all the fucking stealth backstabs/knockouts. There were so many of them and so unbelievable. The peak of it being when Brock and Hood were investigating the serial killer garage in the last season. It's not a big garage and that doctor dude snuck up on Brock and knocked him out without Hood hearing or seeing anything -- all inside this 20x20 garage. Then, of course, the guy somehow comes up behind Hood and knocks him out. In daylight, no less. Later in that episode when Hood crashes into Proctor's car, he somehow doesn't hear Burt coming up behind him in the water. It's hard not to laugh at these moments but that really shouldn't be the desired outcome.

Antony Starr I already knew from The Boys but I came to appreciate him even more after Banshee. He can convey so much through facial expression alone. He does this switch whenever he senses a threat that is superb, going from sheriff to predator in a heartbeat. And when season four came around, his eyes really did express all the pain and regret that had been weighing him down.

It reminds me of Sons of Anarchy in some ways, though that show really went off the rails and this one remained pretty consistent throughout.

Sanrith Descartes

<Aristocrat╭ರ_•́>
Watched this recently and thought it was good, but not great. Obviously had epic levels of T&A, but it just got so over the top and almost like a comic book at times with how convenient all the timing/action was. Like that first heist attempt Hood does when he's a Sheriff, somehow Carrie finds him in the middle of a city to pick him up and whisk him off to safety. Violence and gore is fun and all but when there's huge scenes of it without any real consequence again and again, it gets boring. Not to mention all the plot armor. I love how all these trained people can take on encounters where it's over 5 to 1 against them but then conveniently struggle against a single person later on. Or, they're popping off headshots and double taps and then they can't land one shot while standing still against a target running away from them 20 feet away. It's also stretching belief how often they're just taking glocks against rifles and winning without a problem. That kind of stuff really takes me out of it because I know none of it really matters. There just so often wasn't enough buildup or tension, no rhythm to the action beats.

I wish this show could have stayed a little more grounded, because it had some really good stretches in it. The characters were pretty good and fleshed out decently enough overall and the setting with all the various factions was a great foundation to work with. Proctor was this pretty horrible dude but you really believe it when he breaks down crying when his mother visits him in jail and tell him his crimes are his family's crimes for abandoning him.

My biggest pet peeve in terms of not having grounded action was all the fucking stealth backstabs/knockouts. There were so many of them and so unbelievable. The peak of it being when Brock and Hood were investigating the serial killer garage in the last season. It's not a big garage and that doctor dude snuck up on Brock and knocked him out without Hood hearing or seeing anything -- all inside this 20x20 garage. Then, of course, the guy somehow comes up behind Hood and knocks him out. In daylight, no less. Later in that episode when Hood crashes into Proctor's car, he somehow doesn't hear Burt coming up behind him in the water. It's hard not to laugh at these moments but that really shouldn't be the desired outcome.

Antony Starr I already knew from The Boys but I came to appreciate him even more after Banshee. He can convey so much through facial expression alone. He does this switch whenever he senses a threat that is superb, going from sheriff to predator in a heartbeat. And when season four came around, his eyes really did express all the pain and regret that had been weighing him down.

It reminds me of Sons of Anarchy in some ways, though that show really went off the rails and this one remained pretty consistent throughout.
Its just mindless fun (and incredible T&A). All the major characters have level 10 martial arts and durability. Except for Chaykin who had like level 15. You just kind of accept it and have fun.

Pagan

Lord Nagafen Raider
Burton taking off his glasses be like... Some bitch about to take a ass whuppin.
Burton fights were good. The prison series with the Albino is what made me finish the whole series. Hoods FAFO attitude is what I liked most about the show.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Sanrith Descartes

<Aristocrat╭ರ_•́>
Burton fights were good. The prison series with the Albino is what made me finish the whole series. Hoods FAFO attitude is what I liked most about the show.
There was so much good about it. Bunker the reformed Nazi, Proctor, Sugar.

Rebecca's storyline kind of goes off the rails when she joins Kai. Job post kidnapping is weak. And Gordon's descent into drugs and strippers isnt good either.

I might need to rewatch it again.

pharmakos

soʞɐɯɹɐɥd
<Bronze Donator>
Rewatching this show, just as good the second time around. Best fight scenes of any show.

• 4Solidarity
Reactions: 3 users

Kajiimagi

<Gold Donor>
Thanks for necroing this, didn't realize it was on Max. I'll add it to my list after I'm done with West Wing. My algorithm will be so confused.

Izo

Tranny Chaser
Hmm. Will have to watch after Peaky Blinders. Thanks, FoH!

• 1Like

Lanx

Oye Ve
<Prior Amod>
if all trannies were as ride or die as Job, i'd support em w/ the fury of a thousand tiddies
Job-banshee-tv-series-38157255-350-200.gif

• 1Like

Hatorade

A nice asshole.
if all trannies were as ride or die as Job, i'd support em w/ the fury of a thousand tiddies
Job-banshee-tv-series-38157255-350-200.gif
Is he Trans? Always came off as a dude that likes women's clothes/high fashion. More Glam rock than I want to be female.

Ossoi

Tranny Chaser
Is he Trans? Always came off as a dude that likes women's clothes/high fashion. More Glam rock than I want to be female.

excuse me, have you not been studying for your LGBTQ+ exams?

Trans is now an umbrella term that includes transsexuals, transvestites and people that don't identify as their birth gender etc.

pharmakos

soʞɐɯɹɐɥd
<Bronze Donator>
Pretty sure they refer to Job as a "he" in the show, right? I never paid attention to what pronouns they use for Job. Either way, strikes me as the sort of person that would either reject labels altogether or tell people they can use whatever labels they want for him as long as the person doesn't otherwise fuck with him.

pharmakos

soʞɐɯɹɐɥd
<Bronze Donator>
Didn't notice the first time I watched the show... Miguel Sapochnik directed the last couple episodes of Season 1. Nice.

Raes

Vyemm Raider
I've binged this show so many times I have a favorite version of the (awesome) intro song, which changed slightly every season.

• 1Like