Barbie (2023)

DickTrickle

Definitely NOT Furor Planedefiler
the facebook buzz seems to be really negative on this film. but i imagine little girls will be swarming it. second weekend will be interesting.
There's zero chance that I would think whatever you're seeing on Facebook is representative of anybody at all.

Chukzombi

Millie's Staff Member
There's zero chance that I would think whatever you're seeing on Facebook is representative of anybody at all.
giphy.gif

Ossoi

Tranny Chaser
<Trapped in Randomonia>

The BBC disinformation journalist set up five burner phones with fake social media profiles based on stereotypical US voters, all of which are probably more representative than anything he sees on Facebook

"I've created social media accounts belonging to five fake characters, who reflect views from across the political spectrum in the US. The people I created are based on data by a US think tank which defined types of voters after surveying more than 10,000 randomly selected US adults.

I've given each of them five profiles across Instagram, Facebook, TikTok, YouTube and Twitter - with names and computer-generated photos. They are: Larry, the Faith and Flag conservative; Britney from the Populist Right; Gabriela, the less political Stressed Sideliner; Michael, the Democratic Mainstay; and Emma from the Progressive Left."

Animosity

Bronze Baronet of the Realm
If I wasnt going out of town for the weekend, Id be seeing this. Looks hilarious.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Angerz

Trakanon Raider
This is aimed more at people that grew up with Barbie and not kids.
Having just seen it, I think the target audience is 2 groups, anyone like 35 to 45, who will see specific parts of themselves in the barbies and kens and get all of the meta humor, and like 10 to 15 year old girls, who Mattel very much wants to reclaim Barbie as a "girls can do anything" icon back from "Barbie Girl, plastic and fantastic" by Aqua.

Ryan Gosling is an absolute scene stealer, maybe even movie stealer.

Anyone who has ever used the term "woke" unironically may have their head explode from all the girl power moments and speeches, but you chose to see a Barbie movie, so you brought it on yourself.

Otherwise, I thought it was hilarious, one of my favorites of the year, up there with SpiderVerse and Mission Impossible, and that was the general consensus of every one I saw it with.

And if you do want to see it, my showing was like a marvel premier, only with more pink and sparkles, theater was packed.

• 1Like

Loser Araysar

Chief Russia Correspondent / Stock Pals CEO
<Gaming Ghost>
the facebook buzz seems to be really negative on this film. but i imagine little girls will be swarming it. second weekend will be interesting.
whats the buzz looking like on the FM dial?

DickTrickle

The buzz at the local church fish fry where Chuk picks up women is also really negative.

• 3Worf
Reactions: 2 users

DickTrickle

Looks like this is going to go against the grain of box office disappointments this summer.

• 2Like
Reactions: 1 users

Harshaw

Throbbing Member
if i did, you bitches better credit me for it. i was going to say social media buzz, but i dont check twatter or instagram that often.
Facebook is the worst social media platform to get your "buzz." I would believe shit from any other platform first.

DickTrickle

Listen, we should all be impressed that Chuk isn't getting his buzz from myspace, at least.

• 2Like
Reactions: 1 users

Malakriss

Golden Baronet of the Realm
This still has a $145M budget price tag, while not as awful as previous bombs still 33% more expensive than it should be.

• 1Picard

Loser Araysar

Chief Russia Correspondent / Stock Pals CEO
<Gaming Ghost>
if i did, you bitches better credit me for it. i was going to say social media buzz, but i dont check twatter or instagram that often.

imagine having a life so devoid of meaning that you want credit for the word FACEBOOK BUZZ that boomers have been using for over a decade

Angerz

Trakanon Raider
there was a lot spent on marketing. that barbenheimer shit didnt meme itself.

I dont know how the profit sharing is going to work with Mattel, but allegedly a lot of the Barbie marketing was paid for by Mattel, not WB.

I also would assume a lot of the "Barbenheimer" viral shit on twitter/tiktok was mostly free once it took off, even if a marketing group seeded it, cause both of the movies will have benefited from it.

Assuming both movies hit their targets, this weekend is going to be a box office total up there with Spider-Verse and Mario Bros release weekends. Big cash for theaters.