Batman v Superman: Dawn of Justice (2016)

Tuco

I got Tuco'd!
<Gold Donor>
I don't get the fixation on lightning. Storm makes storms. Her primary shit is wind. But the most baller part of a storm is lightning.

Phazael

Confirmed Beta Shitlord, Fat Bastard
<Aristocrat╭ರ_•́>
Fate is strong. but not that strong. are you thinking Spectre?
Doctor Fate is a Lord of Order and essentially the DC equivalent of a god in the DC universe. Among the many ludicrous things he has done, he turned the entire US congress into newts just to let them know he was irritated at them. There was one old issue of JLA where everyone on earth, except martian manhunter, was infected by a hive mind organism (heroes like Supes included) and Martian Manhunter put on the helmet and solved the invasion in roughly ten minutes. Prior to the whole knife thing they tried in the early 2000s, fate was essentially one of those uber magical beings that only ever came out when they needed a Dr Strange like guy for epic events.

Certain versions of Spectre were certainly more powerful, though. In fact, I think Spectre killed one of the versions of Dr Fate.

j00t

Silver Baronet of the Realm
Storm is lightning, though--the lightning myths has always been separate, they are elemental in nature. Lightning based powers were Sky gods, Thor, Zues--usually the most bad ass people in their pantheon. Lightning is the mythical equivalent of literal,purepower; even more unadulterated than strength. So, I disagree storm is nature based; she's elemental. And, on that note, controlling the water, or the ocean? That's also pretty elemental, it's one of the primary Pantheon foundations. And that's what I mean by myths, all of these characters are just retypes of old myths; some myths have always been more popular, just because they appeal to a broader audience.
Semantics... What's the difference between elemental and nature in this context?

Grimmlokk

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
You pondered something at the start of the post and answered it at the end. Why fixate on lightning when she controls weather? Lightning is baller. She's Thor with sweet sweet titties.

Lanx

<Prior Amod>
it's simple why storm is associated with lighting, cuz it's damn easier to draw a lighting bolt than it is to draw a bunch of swish, swish, hurricane lines, so they just draw "lighting bolt" "lighting bolt".

even her damn earrings are lighting bolts, how are they gonna draw blizzard earrings all day?

Lithose

Buzzfeed Editor
I'm just saying, the lightning is just one part of being able to make storms. It's not that she's a goddess of lightning that can also make storms. She's a goddess of storms, some of which come with lightning.
Yes, but she's known for the bolts, because, as you said, they are the bad ass part of storms. Just like Sky Gods are known for lightning, too, despite having dominion over the sky. It's the more elemental aspect (s) that gets people's attention (So control over lightning, or the air itself ect). Just look at almost any art that has Storm pissed on it; what do you see? Lightning. Lightning bolts everywhere. Even when there is no wind, there is lightning coming out of her eyes, hands, and asshole.

(For size)

rrr_img_69440.jpg
rrr_img_69441.jpg

Anyway, this has gotten derailed a little. I originally brought it up to show that even though "Storms" are "natural"--they would probably fall under "Elemental" myths, notably because of lightning, but also because it's literally control of the elements (Wind, Water).

Caliane

Doctor Fate is a Lord of Order and essentially the DC equivalent of a god in the DC universe. Among the many ludicrous things he has done, he turned the entire US congress into newts just to let them know he was irritated at them. There was one old issue of JLA where everyone on earth, except martian manhunter, was infected by a hive mind organism (heroes like Supes included) and Martian Manhunter put on the helmet and solved the invasion in roughly ten minutes. Prior to the whole knife thing they tried in the early 2000s, fate was essentially one of those uber magical beings that only ever came out when they needed a Dr Strange like guy for epic events.

Certain versions of Spectre were certainly more powerful, though. In fact, I think Spectre killed one of the versions of Dr Fate.
Turning the congress into newts is really pretty low tier. hahaha... Zatanna could do it...
Fate was on the JSA, far lower powered. As a Nabu as a Lord of Order was powered up, as you say.
Being a Lord of order is kindof mid range in terms of cosmic DC. Amethyst is one too.

Supernaturally, a god more or less as you say.. But there ARE gods, who are defiantly stronger then Fate. The greek ones, the New Gods. Above them the Endless. no one is really sure where the christian god sits in, and the Spectre as the Wrath of God. Lucifer as well...
The Guardians are stronger for sure, and are not gods.
The wizard Shazam is probably stronger then Fate.

Green lanterns have the potential to be stronger. As noted Hal recreated the universe... Kyle brought back the dead..
Current WonderWoman IS the God of War. so probably is stronger now too.
Flash's time fuckery, and Speedforce is a higher tier cosmic power.

I would agree that Nabu is elder god teir. But that doesn't mean all THAT much, compared to many others. Dr. Fate, is also weaker then Nabu.

Tuco

I got Tuco'd!
<Gold Donor>
Yes, but she's known for the bolts, because, as you said, they are the bad ass part of storms. Just like Sky Gods are known for lightning, too, despite having dominion over the sky. It's the more elemental aspect (s) that gets people's attention (So control over lightning, or the air itself ect). Just look at almost any art that has Storm pissed on it; what do you see? Lightning. Lightning bolts everywhere. Even when there is no wind, there is lightning coming out of her eyes, hands, and asshole.

Anyway, this has gotten derailed a little. I originally brought it up to show that even though "Storms" are "natural"--they would probably fall under "Elemental" myths, notably because of lightning, but also because it's literally control of the elements (Wind, Water).
I guess I just can't get on board with Storm being known for lightning more than being known for making storms. Maybe that's just a personal bias of mine, but her ability to freeze fools, blow up fools, generate heat etc just make it hard to condense her down to primarily lightning.

I also don't know if I agree with associating her with the elements more than nature. She is way more in tune with the earth, weather and nature than typical elemental controllers. Thor waltzes into the scene and doesn't give a fuck what's going on. He's just going to throw up his hammer and start the lightning party. Where as Storm literally feels nature and weather patterns as is in tune with them Captain Planet style.

Phazael

Confirmed Beta Shitlord, Fat Bastard
<Aristocrat╭ರ_•́>
Well, the movies more or less dropped her entire backstory as an African tribal. Instead we got generic Halle Berry American black woman tossing around lightning bolts. A lot of her shamanistic tendencies were tied into that backstory, but in the interest of brevity we got one liners and minimal screen time.

Honestly, her backstory in the comic books was pretty damn interesting, but no one is going to greenlight a Storm movie. Hell, you can't even get a Wonderwoman movie done. I blame the Catwoman debacle (thanks again Berry) and then the coffin got nailed shut by Electra sucking so much dick. There has not even been an attempt at a movie based entirely on a female protagonist. Hollywood has essentially decided that young adult trash is the best way to cash in on that, with movies like Hunger Games and so on, rather than attempt a serious super heroine movie. Even Marvel, with its license to print money and ScarJo under contract, has not even hinted at trying one.

Lithose

Buzzfeed Editor
I guess I just can't get on board with Storm being known for lightning more than being known for making storms. Maybe that's just a personal bias of mine, but her ability to freeze fools, blow up fools, generate heat etc just make it hard to condense her down to primarily lightning.

I also don't know if I agree with associating her with the elements more than nature. She is way more in tune with the earth, weather and nature than typical elemental controllers. Thor waltzes into the scene and doesn't give a fuck what's going on. He's just going to throw up his hammer and start the lightning party. Where as Storm literally feels nature and weather patterns as is in tune with them Captain Planet style.
Sorry for the late response, fair enough on your view of Storm, and I agree with you as a comic book reader. However, I was mainly talking about why these characters are viewed by thewideraudiences the way they are (IE the people who will only see them in movies, or maybe on TV). It's like I said with Aquaman, in the comics, he's got super strength and he's nearly invincible, but for everyone else, he's just some guy that talks to fish. Usually broad audiences who don't know the character, just associate them with their primary "call sign" ability, which usually translates into some older myth. So yeah, storm in in tune with nature--but ask a casual viewer, and they will say "oh, she's that lightning chick".

Tuco

I got Tuco'd!
<Gold Donor>
I think anyone who watched the 90s cartoon thinks of her as the storm african chick and anyone who just watched the xmen movies thinks of her as Halle Barry who shit up her scenes.

Caliane

Pretty sure she is known for wind more then lightning.

She has been in pretty much every Xmen video game ever.

The Ancient_sl

shitlord
Can we correct this thread title? It's "Batman V Superman: Dawn of Justice". The absurdity of the film's name is an important discussion point.