Batman v Superman: Dawn of Justice (2016)

Nester

Vyemm Raider
aquaman is pretty badass in Flashpoint.

Looks like they will be giving him his own anitmate movie based on the teaser in war. I would love to see him as a bad ass villian, or really push that fact you are never really sure whos side he is on....pretty much Namor =D

Caliane

yeah. Namor and Aquaman really are pretty much the same dude.
Except Aquaman has a super hot Redhead wife.

Brave and the Bold Aquaman is one of the best ones.
(basically a grown up Finn from Adventure time)

Lanx

<Prior Amod>
aquaman is the easy to pick on fat kid of the group. what are you gonna do? pick on the guy that runs really fast? that's actually kinda cool, the playboy billionaire in spandex? the woman version of superman with a lasso? nope pick on the guy who talks to fish and rides dolphins like a jet ski.

and of course i'm talking about stand up comedians, picking on aquaman is like their de-facto superhero joke.

he should be a "toxic" property, you just shouldn't bother with him.

i don't know why they're trying so hard that they have to get kal drogo.

honestly rank the modern justic league members

superman
batman
wonderwoman
green lantern
flash
cyborg
aquaman

and most ppl would probably have that order, maybe jump a spot here and there, but i can assure you last spot will always be for aquaman.

Void

Experiencer
<Gold Donor>
I fail to see how riding dolphins like a jetski isn't pretty much awesome.
Sure, it can be great for picking up chicks, but if you need to stop some villain in mid-town Metropolis, you gotta park your dolphins somewhere and call up some giant crabs or something else not as awesome.

Phazael

Confirmed Beta Shitlord, Fat Bastard
<Aristocrat╭ರ_•́>
In terms of fan appeal, I would put the Flash above Wonder Woman on that list and Batman in the top spot, but its pretty much accurate otherwise. If you were going by raw power, Green Lantern is probably the top dog, honestly.

TomServo

<Bronze Donator>
eh lanterns are kinda hard to guage power on, Although I am getting some laughs out of Red Lantern Supergirl.

Tuco

I got Tuco'd!
<Gold Donor>
That's a good list. If they didn't constantly fuck with Flash's powers he'd be higher than the lantern. I mean just limit what he can do to being able to move fast. You don't need to make up dumb shit like being able to vibrate through walls or throw speed force bombs. The other problem with him is they constantly nerf and buff how fast he can move. They make him approach or exceed the speed of light in one scene, then he gets outpaced by Usain Bolt in the next scene. Set his max speed to Mach4, set his max acceleration to something like 200mps^2 and then build the fiction around that.

Phazael

<Aristocrat╭ರ_•́>
For reference, Hal Jordan basically beat the shit out of the guardians of Oa and recreated the entire universe. Even prior to his Paralax days, he was considered by DC's own source material to be more powerful than any of the rest of them, aside from Doctor Fate who is in an entire league of his own. But yeah pre crisis time traveler Barry Allen Flash was pretty damn uber, but I don't know if I would put him ahead of the guys who can just fly around in space and move planets, like GL and Supes.

Lithose

Buzzfeed Editor
it's not really about his power set being lame or his "nature based myth" being out of touch. take a look at marvel's version. Namor is beast mode and people are clamoring for more media exposure for him. Also, nature based myth? do you mean simply that he uses nature as his weapon? or specifically the myth aspect? either way i'm not sure I agree either. Storm is always popular (in the comics, not so much live action, but that's halle berry's fault) and she's about as "nature based" as you can get. if you mean MYTH then Atlantis is a solid piece of pop culture that is not really going anywhere soon. Aquaman was cool until the superfriends. then it just put a magnifying glass on OH HEY THIS GUY TALKS TO FISH!

barbarian king aquaman is pretty baller.
Storm is lightning, though--the lightning myths has always been separate, they are elemental in nature. Lightning based powers were Sky gods, Thor, Zues--usually the most bad ass people in their pantheon. Lightning is the mythical equivalent of literal,purepower; even more unadulterated than strength. So, I disagree storm is nature based; she's elemental. And, on that note, controlling the water, or the ocean? That's also pretty elemental, it's one of the primary Pantheon foundations. And that's what I mean by myths, all of these characters are just retypes of old myths; some myths have always been more popular, just because they appeal to a broader audience.

IfAquaman were more known for literally controlling the water? We'd have a different view of him; that's more elemental in nature--like Poseidan (Which, pretty much, was Aquaman's template). Unfortunately, the comics themselves pushed Aquaman's fauna control, and not his mastery of the oceans. He just comes across as a more romantic (era) archetype due to it (At harmony with the animals!). Which, for me, just feels flat in an era of metal and machines. People haven't been scared of animals they can see in a long, long time (When animals used to literally be used for war, it was different; but even horses and elephants have given way to cars and tanks).

I'm not familiar with Namor at all, I'll have to take your word for it; but do his powers center on controlling animals, or theocean? Like if he is fighting someone, is he more likely to crush them with a tidal wave, or have flipper come around and fuck them up?

Grimmlokk

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
I'm not familiar with Namor at all, I'll have to take your word for it; but do his powers center on controlling animals, or theocean? Like if he is fighting someone, is he more likely to crush them with a tidal wave, or have flipper come around and fuck them up?
His powers focus more on being a weaker Superman with gills(or just water breathing depending on the story). He's just a cool character, not so much unique powers.

Actually he's a lot like Black Adam....with gills.

edit: Apparently Namor kind of had the wholeFlying Brickgeneric power setbeforeSuperman.

Also Ultimate Namor had the whole water control thing going on, I don't know if 616 Namor ever did.

Phazael

<Aristocrat╭ರ_•́>
Namor is a badass for tapping Sue Storm behind Rubber man's back, more than anything else.

Caliane

For reference, Hal Jordan basically beat the shit out of the guardians of Oa and recreated the entire universe. Even prior to his Paralax days, he was considered by DC's own source material to be more powerful than any of the rest of them, aside from Doctor Fate who is in an entire league of his own. But yeah pre crisis time traveler Barry Allen Flash was pretty damn uber, but I don't know if I would put him ahead of the guys who can just fly around in space and move planets, like GL and Supes.
Fate is strong. but not that strong. are you thinking Spectre?

Lanx

<Prior Amod>
Storm is lightning, though--the lightning myths has always been separate, they are elemental in nature. Lightning based powers were Sky gods, Thor, Zues--usually the most bad ass people in their pantheon. Lightning is the mythical equivalent of literal,purepower; even more unadulterated than strength. So, I disagree storm is nature based; she's elemental. And, on that note, controlling the water, or the ocean? That's also pretty elemental, it's one of the primary Pantheon foundations. And that's what I mean by myths, all of these characters are just retypes of old myths; some myths have always been more popular, just because they appeal to a broader audience.
storm isn't lightning she's a weather manipulator, that's how she can fly, she creates wind currents under her ass.

lightning is just her trademark since she always goes up against thor, when they fight and that stupid. "what does a toad do when struck by lightning" or whatever crappy line.

also ultimate namor is a ciminal and pretty much hated by atlanteans, as of late he's playing with the new ultimate fantastic four (sue/ironman/falcon/doom)

Caliane

IfAquaman were more known for literally controlling the water? We'd have a different view of him; that's more elemental in nature--like Poseidan (Which, pretty much, was Aquaman's template). Unfortunately, the comics themselves pushed Aquaman's fauna control, and not his mastery of the oceans. He just comes across as a more romantic (era) archetype due to it (At harmony with the animals!). Which, for me, just feels flat in an era of metal and machines. People haven't been scared of animals they can see in a long, long time (When animals used to literally be used for war, it was different; but even horses and elephants have given way to cars and tanks).

Aquaman can't control the water. His wife Mera does though.

Aquaman has access to magical artifacts of Atlantis.
Is king of all the oceans, and all the cities in it.
Is typical brick. Superstrong, bulletproof etc.
Can dominate the minds of animals.

Lithose

Buzzfeed Editor
storm isn't lightning she's a weather manipulator, that's how she can fly, she creates wind currents under her ass.

lightning is just her trademarksince she always goes up against thor, when they fight and that stupid. "what does a toad do when struck by lightning" or whatever crappy line.

also ultimate namor is a ciminal and pretty much hated by atlanteans, as of late he's playing with the new ultimate fantastic four (sue/ironman/falcon/doom)
Yes, and Aquaman doesn't only have the power to control animals; it's just his trademark. Storm's myth is awesome because she blasts people with bolts of lightning; her full weather control, while the main part of her power, is distinctlysecondin her perception. Storms "media" (Or Comic covers or pictures) are almost always inundated with lightning symbolism, especially she "shit gets real"--she's practically bathed in it, and her eyes glow with lightning.

That's why I said in my original post; I know Aquaman has a ton of other powers, like Storm--but the problem is what is histrademarkpower. What's heknownfor? That's the key, that's what defines what "myths" the character will tap into for the broader audience (That won't come to know them in depth). For example, they added tons of powers to superman per-crisis to solve plot lines, and his fans all know thatbuthe was alwaysknownas a strong man, that his trade mark; strength (And invulnerability). You can strip the rest of his powers out, but as long as he has those; he can stillbesuperman.

Do you think Storm would be Storm if she couldn't use lightning? If all she could do was make a hurricane? I mean, you could argue yes; but I don't think she would be perceived the same way at all..but that's just my opinion.

Aquaman can't control the water. His wife Mera does though.

Aquaman has access to magical artifacts of Atlantis.
Is king of all the oceans, and all the cities in it.
Is typical brick. Superstrong, bulletproof etc.
Can dominate the minds of animals.
Ahh, he can't, could have sworn I saw a few JL episodes where he did. Maybe I'm remembering wrong. (I don't read his comics.) That probably explains why he's not known for controlling the actual oceans.

Grimmlokk

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
Ahh, he can't, could have sworn I saw a few JL episodes where he did. Maybe I'm remembering wrong. (I don't read his comics.) That probably explains why he's not known for controlling the actual oceans.
Well, they can and do make up new GIANT sea creatures for him to command as needed, so if he needs a localized tidal wave he can just have an army of krakens and giant crabs and shit make one.

Comics.