Batman v Superman: Dawn of Justice (2016)

Arbitrary

Tranny Chaser
?Suicide Squad? Will Reshoot Scenes to Add More Humor Following ?Batman V. Superman? Backlash
Backlash | The Source

Suicide Squad looked pretty good aside from Will Smith naming the title. I'm worried that changing shit around because BvS dropped off after the first week is going to result in a worse movie.

Cantatus

Lord Nagafen Raider
Did anyone really have a problem with Suicide Squad being dark? It's a movie about a bunch of villains essentially enslaved by the government to do their bidding under threat of death. I'm not sure anyone was expecting it to be a laugh riot. I mean, the movie is directed by David Ayer after all. This just shows where DC is a little tone-deaf. Just because there was backlash over how dark Batman V. Superman is doesn't mean people are unwilling to accept any dark movies. That also didn't really seem to be BvS's main flaw.

Shifting gears so far into production sets up the potential for another Fantfourstick.

What does it mean that they cast such a notable actor (Jeffrey Dean Morgan) as Thomas Wayne? It's odd to cast someone like that for a 20 second scene.. is there some comic story where he comes back from the dead and/or isn't dead so they might re-use him?
It's Jeffrey Dean Morgan. When Sean Bean is too busy to show up to die on film, they call him.

Royal

Connoisseur of Exotic Pictures
People are trying to connect dots that probably have nothing to do with each other. They didn't get significant reshoots rolling within a week of some critics panning BvS. More than likely it's partially in response to the success of Deadpool (and SS being their best opportunity to try and use some of the same tack) and partially in response to test screenings. But that's not as in or timely as trying to find yet another angle to go after BvS (as if it needs another).

Lithose

Buzzfeed Editor
Backlash | The Source

Suicide Squad looked pretty good aside from Will Smith naming the title. I'm worried that changing shit around because BvS dropped off after the first week is going to result in a worse movie.
The sad part is, it's not about humor--fuck, these people don't get it on a fundamental level. Winter Soldier didn't have a ton of humor either. But it hadoptimism. Superman didn't need to joke around, but he needed toproject the values he "died" for.The whole movie felt hollow because we were told 'this is how it is' the characters never reflected that on screen. As others have said, Superman looked like a bitter asshole helping ungrateful pricks...The thing is, Superman should not look like that, even if humanity is ungrateful, even if they are scared and angry...An optimistic Superman would understand these areNORMALemotions for people that suffered a massive calamity due to Superman's own race coming to their world, and are characteristics which are completely redeemable, which can easily be looked past by a 'god' in order to love humanity.

That is the essence of Superman, not campy joe good guy, but a man who has to pay even more attention to why humans are distrusting and frightened because he is anoutsider to those emotions...Because he can't really experience them, nothing hurts him, while everything hurts humans; which has always kind of made him an objective expert on why humans act stupid (Which almost always makes him sympathize with humanity MORE than other heroes). Its part of his immigrant story, its a metaphor for learning how to fit in and be the symbol and man he needs to be to help people. There is a certain joy in that, which doesn't require humor, but does require he takes the stick out of his ass for a little bit.

Shoehorning in humor into their films is only going to make it worse if they don't fundamentally understand why their films lack any sense of hope, optimism and joy. But that all being said? I'm surprised a Suicide Squad should need more humor, Harley Quinn playing off the other hardcore villains should provide a massive amount of it.

Gavinmad

Mr. Poopybutthole
The sad part is, it's not about humor--fuck, these people don't get it on a fundamental level. Winter Soldier didn't have a ton of humor either. But it hadoptimism. Superman didn't need to joke around, but he needed toproject the values he "died" for.The whole movie felt hollow because we were told 'this is how it is' the characters never reflected that on screen. As others have said, Superman looked like a bitter asshole helping ungrateful pricks...The thing is, Superman should not look like that, even if humanity is ungrateful, even if they are scared and angry...An optimistic Superman would understand these are NORMAL emotions for people that suffered a massive calamity due to Superman's own race coming to their world.
No shit. Superman vs The Elite demonstrated that pretty well. Basically everyone wanted him to kill Atomic Skull, and he wouldn't, which got someone killed when Atomic Skull escaped. So everybody is like fuck Superman, hooray new guys when Manchester Black kills Atomic Skull. Superman doesn't let that change him but after Coldcast nukes him, Superman shows what a berserk Kryptonian who no longer refrains from killing can really do. Except it turns out he wasn't really killing, he just wanted to let people see a glimpse of what they were asking for.

Ukerric

Bearded Ape
<Silver Donator>
I simply can't envision him doing a good job in the role.
Spoiler: he didn't.
One thing I've heard is that Eisenberg was originally going to audition for both Jimmy Olsen and The Riddler and when they offered him the part of Lex he insisted on sticking with the persona he had worked on for The Riddler and they just went with it and didn't have The Riddler make an appearance.
That sounds about right. The one thing he isn't is Lex Luthor.

zzeris

King Turd of Shit Hill
<Gold Donor>
I actually liked the movie. Sure, Eisenberg was pretty bad and the movie was definitely too long...but it was still a very solid movie. The dream sequences were a bit off but fuck, how long did they last? I think anyone can nitpick any movie if they want to. It was solid, which I didn't expect after hearing from the hardcore nerd segment. I even liked 'dark' Superman. That is much more realistic than comics have had him. Just trying to help out SJWs would get me pretty upset on Day 1. Having to deal with the ungrateful mass of humanity all the time would make me pull out Eisenberg's hair myself...one hair at a time.

Aquaman looks gay as fuck but Wonder Woman was pretty damn good. So was Affleck surprisingly. I'm ready for part 2.

Brahma

Obi-Bro Kenobi-X
Ya...This movie was just OK at best. Disjointed. Silly dream sequences. Some shit bordering on silly. 5/10 for me.

The JLA shit...Ya lets cram that it there too.

Sylas

<Bronze Donator>
Looks like 5th largest 2nd weekend drop in history behind three twilight movies and deathly hallows part 2. unless it turns around, estimates are looking at 350-360m domestic and potentially <1 bil worldwide. if that holds true its yet another flop for zack Snyder and dc

Karloff_sl

shitlord
Looks like 5th largest 2nd weekend drop in history behind three twilight movies and deathly hallows part 2. unless it turns around, estimates are looking at 350-360m domestic and potentially <1 bil worldwide. if that holds true its yet another flop for zack Snyder and dc
At the end of the year I'm sure BVS is going to make it's money, between domestic, international and all the toys, somehow it will do just fine. Will it do Marvel money probably not but the amount of folks who want this to fail is beyond me.

Nirgon

YOU HAVE NO POWER HERE
Put me in the liked it group. Saw it in 3D which was pretty good for it.

One thing that I think promotes these movies the most are the purists getting rowdy on the hype and review train.

Luther is just getting started and hopefully they listen to and make revisions based on nerd backlash/criticism.

8/10, throw stones at me

Made me want to play a certain old Blizzard console game again ...

radditsu

Silver Knight of the Realm
Did anyone really have a problem with Suicide Squad being dark? It's a movie about a bunch of villains essentially enslaved by the government to do their bidding under threat of death. I'm not sure anyone was expecting it to be a laugh riot. I mean, the movie is directed by David Ayer after all. This just shows where DC is a little tone-deaf. Just because there was backlash over how dark Batman V. Superman is doesn't mean people are unwilling to accept any dark movies. That also didn't really seem to be BvS's main flaw.

Shifting gears so far into production sets up the potential for another Fantfourstick.

It's Jeffrey Dean Morgan. When Sean Bean is too busy to show up to die on film, they call him.
The Comedian is the Father of Grimdark Batman.

Nirgon

YOU HAVE NO POWER HERE
I hope 'make revisions' means recast Luthor to someone who can act.
Batfleck was good, focus on what to improve is definitely Lex

He had some cringe scenes tho for sure which I'm hoping comes down to just early awkward stages/butter braining before becoming "real" Lex

Karloff_sl

shitlord
Put me in the liked it group. Saw it in 3D which was pretty good for it.

One thing that I think promotes these movies the most are the purists getting rowdy on the hype and review train.

Luther is just getting started and hopefully they listen to and make revisions based on nerd backlash/criticism.

8/10, throw stones at me

Made me want to play a certain old Blizzard console game again ...
I like it about the same, most of my gripes were minor other than Lex being not Lex,maybe he would have done a better job if Synder had directed him better, he'll the guy off Smallville would worked.

Color me excited for WW and Affleck didn't do a bad job and his action Bat scenes were heads and above anything in the Bale series.

Shonuff

Mr. Poopybutthole
This POS has made $700 million worldwide. Get ready for an entire DC universe that is grimdark.

Valderen

Space Pirate
<Bronze Donator>
I think they'll reevaluate the direction they are going with their franchise. Sure it's gonna make lots of money, but with the sharp decline, it looks like it won't make 1B worldwide and maybe not 350M domestic, and those numbers are way below expectation. There was talk of 1.5-2B expection, and it's gonna fail that by a lot. With how much it made in the first weekend and the sharp decline due probably to bad reviews, bad word of mouth and not many second viewings, they know they might not get away with a bad movie pulling those numbers again.

They don't have to go the same route as Marvel, being different is ok...but they will definitely look at what went wrong. The big opening weekend shows that there is interest in a DC cinematic universe, they just need to find the right tone for it.