Batman v Superman: Dawn of Justice (2016)

Attog

Blackwing Lair Raider
This was such a bad movie none of you watched the ending? Apokolips. Heartbeat.

I mean shit there was even a scene an hour in with Darkseids army helping evil Superman.
Saw it but didn't understand what I was watching. After the dream sequence (?) at the batcave mac terminal I just figured it was some alternative future where they were sending someone back to get Bruce to change the past so that Skynet wouldn't go online.

Kreugen

Vyemm Raider
I'm 90 minutes into the extra punishment version. Still have no idea why Lex hates Superman or why he is omniscient or why War Machine is also the Flash and lives inside the bat computer with effects that somehow looked worse than when Zuul was inside of Dana's fridge.

Everything I've seen so far could have been condensed into 10 minutes.

This is what it must be like to be someone who watches every NASCAR race just for the wrecks.

EDIT: Two good points so far. The "what-if" Darkseid shit that we'll never actually get, and Batman straight murdering people with the Batmobile because fuck it, they had guns and missile launchers, why fucking shouldn't he shoot back?

Kreugen

Vyemm Raider
The movie gets 1 point for nuked Superman.

And a couple of points for decent action in the second half.

I'll never watch the first half again. Not even under torture. Trying to catch up to MCU with one movie was fucking idiotic.

Attog

Blackwing Lair Raider
I don't know what the alternate universe Terminator/Batman/Resident Evil was but I could watch a whole movie based on that.

Royal

Connoisseur of Exotic Pictures
Trying to catch up to MCU with one movie was fucking idiotic.
That's Warner Brothers for ya. They just don't run a tight ship over there. How else do you explain giving Snyder the go ahead to shoot a 3 hour movie then come up a few months before release and decide they couldn't release a 3 hour movie?

Devlin

Golden Squire
I watched the extended edition last week and while it does make a little more sense the story is overly complicated and yet something that neither Batman nor Superman should have fallen for in a million years.

Batman never wonders why the people he's branding are being killed in prison and just keeps on branding people.

Batman and Superman meet for the first time and all they do is exchange a single petty threat.

Superman has plenty of shit on his own plate but does nothing to get to the root cause of it and pretty much does behave like a bit of a Messiah douche.

He focuses on Batman who doesn't seem new to the job, he's a reporter, he would surely be able to see that Batman is a good guy.

Gotham is literally walking distance to Metropolis, I don't know who's idea this was but it fucking sucks, can Superman not travel across small bodies of water or something? He can fly to Juarez in under a minute and yet the city across the bay is a shithole that only Batman looks after.

I don't think keeping Snyder on is a very good idea, he's far too much style over substance and his style leaves a lot to be desired. The fight scene at the end wasn't done well at all, too much going on and too fucking dark to see it properly.

I don't understand why they decided to rush straight into the Justice League after only a single solo movie, trying to catch up with Marvel makes no sense whatsoever.

DickTrickle

Definitely NOT Furor Planedefiler
I didn't notice the "rising earth" part, and in the absence of any other implied rez methods it was the only thing I could conclude. If Supes can self-rez through regen, then by that logic Zod shouldn't have been permanently dead either
I haven't even seen the movie. It's just that of course he will be in the future of the dc universe in some fashion. Maybe the death is real but if so there will be a rez of some kind.

Taloo_sl

shitlord
I haven't even seen the movie. It's just that of course he will be in the future of the dc universe in some fashion. Maybe the death is real but if so there will be a rez of some kind.
Yeah, he's alive at the end of the movie. Not spoiler in this because no shit they don't perma death supes in the lead up to justice League. Ffs.

Royal

That is the whole movie, MCU keeps them nice and bright and good looking and either Snyder or DC says make it dark and ugly and suck the soul out of it.
It's because they're using the Nolan Batman films as the template for their CU.

Shonuff

Mr. Poopybutthole
That is the whole movie, MCU keeps them nice and bright and good looking and either Snyder or DC says make it dark and ugly and suck the soul out of it.
One reviewer said that the MCU uses a brighter color palette, but has darker themes, than the DCU. I agree. In this movie, Batman and Superman were hitting on each other like a bunch of five year olds on the playground. Although, the Ultimate Edition does better in explaining their motives.

So far, I'll go on record that this movie would have been closer to a 50% score (than a 27) if it wasn't so over edited. I haven't finished it yet.

Shonuff

Mr. Poopybutthole
The Ultimate version didn't suck so much. We just watched it. It was more fleshed out:

- More backstory with Jimmy Olson
- More explanation of Kryptonite
- More of Lex's manipulations
- More explanation of why Martha was important to them
- An expanded ending with Lex and Batman (Batman is sending him to Arkham because he's been declared incompetent to stand trial)
- A longer alternate Universe scene (with Batman in the Apocalypse)
- A scene showing either Steppenwulf or Darkseid's Dad sending a signal to the New Gods (thus explaining the "bell being rung."

So, while the tone was still depressing, at least the plot holes were mostly filled in. And the problem was that this was four movies wrapped into one (Wonder Woman's Origin, Batman's change to Give-No-Fuck Batman, The Dark Knight Falls and Death of Superman). They really did try to rush to catch up to the MCU and that's why we had this. Oh, and DC, we do want to have some fun, so learn how to tell a joke.

If this version had been released, it would have been 20 points higher on RT and Meta. It was 30 minutes longer, but it didn't seem like it. It flowed better and was less choppy.

Dandai

<WoW Guild Officer>
<Gold Donor>
I never saw the theatrical cut, but I didn't find the extended release to be very offputting. Yeah, there were countless examples of weak/bad writing, but I feel like they should getsomeleniency for that since the source material isn't exactly War and Peace either. I can definitely understand why a DC fan would be pretty upset about this movie.

Shonuff

Mr. Poopybutthole
I never saw the theatrical cut, but I didn't find the extended release to be very offputting. Yeah, there were countless examples of weak/bad writing, but I feel like they should getsomeleniency for that since the source material isn't exactly War and Peace either. I can definitely understand why a DC fan would be pretty upset about this movie.
Go watch the theatrical cut, and you'll see how bad it was. Civil War had an almost perfect rating on RT. It's not the source material that is the issue. The Director's cut was better. Probably all you guys that hated the original like I did should do yourself a favor and watch this version. It's worth a download at least.

Royal

Jon Schnepp over at Collider was as vocal yet reasonable a critic of it when it was initially released in theaters as any out there but the director's cut brought him around. He echoed what a few have said here in that the longer run time actually seemed shorter when you're watching it because it's flaws are less glaring and they don't pull you out of the viewing experience nearly as much. He said he'll never watch the theatrical version again but can actually recommend the director's cut. With the initial edit reportedly coming in at 4 hours it makes you wonder if they could have largely avoided most of the harsh criticism had they opted to release it in 2 parts since they were wanting to do so much set up for Justice League.

I've not bothered to watch it yet but I'll definitely be checking out the Ultimate Edition eventually.

Blackyce

Silver Knight of the Realm
This past summer I met/made a new friend when I was vacationing in Southern CA. My friendAlan McFarlandhas worked on the lighting for a bunch of movies including a number of Marvel as well as Watchman. We were talking about Batman v. Superman and how neither of us liked it but how Alan really liked working for Zack.

One of the things he mentioned was the tone of the movie and how dark it and Man of Steel were. I was really surprised to find out that this was a WB/DC thing and not Zack's.

Apprently WB/DC are trying to set themselves up to be different from the MCU and it's just kind of failing.

radditsu

Silver Knight of the Realm
This past summer I met/made a new friend when I was vacationing in Southern CA. My friendAlan McFarlandhas worked on the lighting for a bunch of movies including a number of Marvel as well as Watchman. We were talking about Batman v. Superman and how neither of us liked it but how Alan really liked working for Zack.

One of the things he mentioned was the tone of the movie and how dark it and Man of Steel were. I was really surprised to find out that this was a WB/DC thing and not Zack's.

Apprently WB/DC are trying to set themselves up to be different from the MCU and it's just kind of failing.
DC has been drilling itself down the grimdark hole for 15 years now. It looks like they may actually try to strike a real balance going forward.

Royal

I mentioned it earlier but the decision to base the DCU on the example set by the Nolan Batman films was an executive decision made above Snyder. I think they're holding out hope that they can coax Nolan into directing more DC movies at some point in the future and they want anything he does to mesh with what has already been released. Not to mention he's also a producer on MoS and BvS.

I'm not sure if they're going to stick with that plan at this point though.