Battletech

Chysamere

<WoW Guild Officer>
^^ With SRMs I'm getting (relatively) a lot of pilot incaps while their mech isn't dead yet. Getting a lot "head hit - one wound", "knockdown - one wound" in the same turn, and that's like, half your total wounds right now, gone. I want to say 7 is max wounds you can have fully skilled?

I've also lost my first ++ item, which was sad. Losing those +++ items is going to really hurt ha. I also headshot (one-shot killed) 2 mechs in a game, which got me to thinking something I really hadn't before - if you're piloting a light mech (or even medium probably, once damage starts ramping up) your pilot is living on borrowed time, until that unlucky headshot takes him out. Something to think about for the ragers who don't like permanent loss.

I saw a +++ LRM 20 in the shop but I couldn't buy it because I was just transiting through the system. Only one I've ever seen :(

Kintaro is an amazing SRM boat if you're into that style of play.

Fadaar

That guy
Can someone give me a TLDR for pilot stats? I've always been a big fan of long range hard hitters, ie PPC's and LRM's.

Jalynfane

Phank 2002
TLDR: Sounds like you would want to go for Gunnery->Tactics->Guts->Piloting then.

Gunnery - all ranks: +2.5% base ranged weapon hit chance per point

Tactics would allow you to reduce penalties from LRM indirect fire, like arcing missiles over a building. Also reduces minimum ranges (for PPC), mastery of called shots, and better initiative.

Guts would Make your recoil suck less, give you extra pilot health, reduce chance of pilot death (Death Chance (140% - 5% * Guts) ), can be guarded while just standing there dishing out fire, and your heat level takes more to overheat.

Piloting makes you harder to hit and do more damage with melee, sprint further and also move after shooting if you have not moved yet

Some one else posted earlier:

There are four skills you level up from rank 1-10. At rank 5 and rank 8 you receive a special ability, but you only have two rank 5 slots and one rank 8 slot so choose wisely. These Abilities will appear on the Action Bar in the 5, 6, and 7 slots.

Gunnery - all ranks: +2.5% base ranged weapon hit chance per point
  • Rank 5: Multi-Target - Action: Fire weapons at up to three targets.
  • Rank 8: Breaching Shot - Passive: Attacks with a single weapon ignore Cover and Guarded on the target.

Piloting - all ranks: +2.5% base melee hit chance per point
  • Rank 4: +1 Unsteady Threshold
  • Rank 5: Evasive Movement - Passive: The unit generates an extra Evasive charge from movement actions.
  • Rank 6: +1 max Evasion
  • Rank 7: +20% sprint distance
  • Rank 8: Ace Pilot - Passive: This unit can move after shooting if it has not moved yet.
  • Rank 9: +1 Unsteady Threshold (+2 total)
  • Rank 10: +1 max Evasion (+2 total)

Guts - all ranks: +5% bonus on survival rolls. Incapacitated Death Chance (90% - 5%*Guts), Lethal Death Chance (140% - 5% * Guts).
  • Rank 4: +1 Health
  • Rank 5: -1 Recoil Penalty, Bulwark - Passive: Gain Guarded when remaining stationary. (you can still shoot)
  • Rank 6: +15 Overheat Threshold (redesigned, used to be 5 for every guts skill point)
  • Rank 7: +1 more Health (+2 total)
  • Rank 8: -1 Recoil Penalty, for a total of -2, Juggernaut - Passive: Successful Melee attacks knock your target back one Initiative Phase
  • Rank 9: +15 Overheat Threshold, for a total of +30
  • Rank 10: +1 more Health (+3 total)

Tactics
  • Rank 4: -1 Indirect Fire Penalty
  • Rank 5: -45 Minimum Range, Sensor Lock - Action: Select a target within sensor range to reveal it until the end of the current round and remove two evasive charges. Consumes your firing action.
  • Rank 6: "Called Shot Bonus"
  • Rank 7: -1 more Indirect Fire Penalty (-2 total)
  • Rank 8: -45 Minimum Range, (-90 total), Master Tactician - Passive: Mechs piloted by this MechWarrior gain +1 Initiative, and remove one bar of Stability Damage when Reserving
  • Rank 9: "Called Shot Mastery"
  • Rank 10: Eliminates Indirect Fire Penalty

Sludig

Golden Baronet of the Realm
Anyone messed with flamers yet? Got excited to use it to try and get more time shutting them down and getting the pilot, then realized you just take damage while hot in this game I think?

Chysamere

<WoW Guild Officer>
Anyone messed with flamers yet? Got excited to use it to try and get more time shutting them down and getting the pilot, then realized you just take damage while hot in this game I think?

The enemy shuts down for one turn if they get hot enough and you get free called shots on them.

OneofOne

Silver Baronet of the Realm
Also seems like a AE weapon that makes getting head hits (and thus wounds) easier.

Sludig

Kinda interesting, before the story mission after you ignore the merc board and the one noble hires you (i know what comes after from youtube vids) I took a side mission to protect a base. Was irritated by enemies magically spawning basically in attack range of the weak buildings. Already had problems with shit ignoring you to run past and shoot buildings without them spawning inside sensor range. (Vs say walking in from board edge as I had sent a light to watch flanks)

Anywho, load and restart mission. Went from a 20t mech and 3 vehicles, to firestarter, spider, and 2 20T with spawning nearby a few rounds in fucking LRM vehicles, and another spider that quickly demolish a building.

Being ocd not wanting to lose a building trying this a 3rd time...

Sludig

3rd game, yeap enemies spawn on far left side of base, move forward and fire lrms hitting low health building on far right side. Whole lot I could do about it....

Did get some suprising 1 shot knockdowns on lights with ppc, Nighthawk kicking jenners destroying legs also seems to work well to knock down fast. Ranges seem odd compared to other mech games I play so seeing shit either in penalty or hitting further than I'd expect.

Rime

<Donor>
Tried to resist this, due to not being happy with Paradox's handling of Stellaris... but I am weak. Downloading now.

Jalynfane

Phank 2002
Small Lasers, Flamers, and Machine guns all fire automatically when you melee attack. It's nice, and brutal.

Machine guns are amazing at finding shit to break once you pierce the outer armor. Each MG rolls like 5 chances to hit items in the area you get passed armor, great ammo finders.

Back in tebletop there was an "oh shit" roll to see if your pilot could eject after taking lethal damage, I wonder if the formula they have is instead of that. pilot death (Death Chance (140% - 5% * Guts) )

Lasch

Trakanon Raider
The game has a glitch that won't show the option to load your campaign, but restarting the game fixes it.

And the writer/director is pants on head retarded, but I like the actual combat.

Pyratec

Golden Knight of the Realm
Well, I must say I´m overall very happy with this game. It could for sure use some cleaning up with zoom animations, some hitching when the damage calculations are being performed, and the UI could be a lot better. That being said, I´m having a blast and haven´t played a game for as many consecutive hours in a long long time.

I was short on cash so I took a mission and put the salvage to zero (0/2) for full cash reward. Of course this is the one and only mission that I´ve seen a Black Knight heavy mech in and I managed to leg it so there was 2 salvage peices available. RNG did not smile upon me and I didn´t get either peice in my random salvage.

A couple missions later, my cash issues solved, I went full salvage because it said the target was piloting a heavy. He was indeed driving an Orion and I managed to incapacitate the pilot via injuries so I got 3 salvage parts from it. Boom, brand new 75T mech! So my lineup now is an Orion (75T), a Jagermech (65T), a Shadow Hawk (55T), and a Kintaro (55T).

I am truly enjoying this game so far and with some optimizations to the UI and performance it could be a truly great game.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Qhue

Tranny Chaser
Man oh man they do a terrible TERRIBLE job of explaining the rules of the game / how the combat system works etc. If I didn't already know how to play the tabletop version and have extensive experience with other Battletech Universe games I would be very confused.

goishen

Macho Ma'am
How is the Kintaro? I recently gotta hold of a Hunchback, and I'm not at all thrilled with it. I mean, sure, the AC20 is nice. When it hits. I'll put up a picture of my Centurion and MechWarrior a lil' later.

Last edited:

Pyratec

Golden Knight of the Realm
How is the Kintaro? I recently gotta hold of a Hunchback, and I'm not at all thrilled with it. I mean, sure, the AC20 is nice. When it hits. I'll put up a picture of my Centurion and MechWarrior a lil' later.

I spec´d out my Kintaro as a LRM boat with jump jets and lots of armor. Managed to still fit 2xLRM5 and a LRM 15 on it. I´m considering dropping the armor a bit to try and cram some more missiles onto it but I´m not sure that´s a great idea. It seems the AI gets a hard on for certain targets at times and if they decide to go hard after it then I would lose it. I also have a Trebuchet and I found I could fit more stuff on the Kintaro, granted it is 5 tons heavier than the Treb. I take the Kintaro on every mission as my LRM boat and I like it. Maybe someone can tell me I´m being an idiot but I´m pretty happy with it.

Sludig

Especially if theres lots of vehicles for free morale, I'm kinda liking wasting a precision aim on just center torsoing garbage that is harrassing something important and blowing it up in one turn, allowing me to take my remaining morale and time to slowly dissect with knockdowns a mech I want. (I'd be lying if I havn't ended up in a 3 mech surrounding one kicking it over and over school yard style.

Qhue

Tranny Chaser
I would like to say that I find the little vehicles with the LRMs to be incredibly annoying. Especially given that they are able to fire from waaaaay on the other side of mountains and just rain death down upon my poor squad.

Also thank goodness for the 'realistic' travel times. My peeps spend far more time in the med bay than they do in the mech bay.

Varia Vespasa

Vyemm Raider
I would like to say that I find the little vehicles with the LRMs to be incredibly annoying. Especially given that they are able to fire from waaaaay on the other side of mountains and just rain death down upon my poor squad.

Also thank goodness for the 'realistic' travel times. My peeps spend far more time in the med bay than they do in the mech bay.
I havent experimented with the concept yet but I'm thinking something fast with at least 2 heavy guns and multitargeting just for going after those little shits. Related- Wanted- a fucking pilot who can fucking hit with her fucking heavy fucking weapons. Fuck.

Sludig

The lrm's dont really hurt me, it's worse when they are midrange and srm +lrm. My issue is when they are spawning and instantly firing on 100 health buildings you are trying to protect. Just went to all mediums, and already missing my initiative 4 light mech to reserve as needed or rush somewhere to pop something before it gets another move/target lock aforementioned LRM vehicles to counter salvo with my lrm boat.

I'm sure itll get tough later, but I'd like a difficulty adjustment because right now it's pretty face roll if you arnt trying to protect buildings from instant spawns.

I'm retarded and took me a bit to find the toggle for the shadowhawk skin.

Sludig

So my glitch has multi target by base, and also I think it's sensor lock. Under the piloting tree she doesnt seem to even have the option to get the first skill evasion bonus. Ditto for guts tree..... appears you can only have 2 Tier 1 abilities, then one tier 2?