Beginner/casual golf clubs?

Khane

Got something right about marriage
Hrmmm... pretty sure you're trolling at this point. What's your GHIN # Springbok? Put your money where your mouth is.

Here's mine, for any and all to take a look at: 8117806

I'm no pro golfer, but I'm pretty decent. Not sure why you became so scathing, all I said was I didn't agree with your advice. And even from pro to pro people don't agree on golf so it's not really all that surprising to find someone who doesn't agree with you.

Noodleface

A Mod Real Quick
I think you both offer some valid points, no need to discount you both in such a case. I'm fairly new, and as such pretty pliable. I'll first look at clubs and see what feels right to me. I'm not going to be going up against Tiger Woods any day soon, and I'm just going to be playing for fun. I think my brothers in law want to play more regularly with me, so it could be fun. I'm just here to have fun.

Eomer

Trakanon Raider
I dunno, irons wise he might be better off with a "beginner" set of more forgiving clubs. I don't profess to be any sort of an expert, I'm a solid 20 handicap, but he definitely shouldn't be running out and grabbing a set of R9 TP irons unless he really wants his hands to hurt every time he doesn't hit the ball perfect.

opiate82

Bronze Squire
Money on lessons will be much better spent then money on clubs at this point. You can probably find a great deal on clubs via a 'beginners lessons package' that includes a starter set of clubs and several lessons at either your local course of perhaps a golf-lab (indoor training center) if there is one in your town.

And remember, better golf begins with putts.

Szeth

Trakanon Raider
Money on lessons will be much better spent then money on clubs at this point. You can probably find a great deal on clubs via a 'beginners lessons package' that includes a starter set of clubs and several lessons at either your local course of perhaps a golf-lab (indoor training center) if there is one in your town.

If you 1-2 putt every hole, even if you hit a 9 iron on every other shot, you will beat most average golfers. I'm a 20 handicap, and if my putting is on I can shoot in the 80s, if it's off I can shoot in the 100s.

opiate82

Bronze Squire
Yup, everyone wants to hit the driving range and to drive the crap out of the ball. But really I think* it is the last aspect of your game you should work on perfecting. You should learn and perfect your golf game short-to-long.

*As in that is like, my opinion man.

Eomer

Trakanon Raider
Yup, my swing from a good to bad round putting wise is 10-15 strokes. The secret to putting, by the way, has little to do with the line you pick or the slope of the green. It's all about weight. Even professional golfers are something like less than 50/50 on putts much past 10 feet. But you'll never see them leave a put more than a tap-in away from the hole, or only rarely. That's because of weight, not because they picked the right line. You can be off by a foot or two on the line, but so long as your weight is good, you should only be that foot or two away. If you have a near perfect line but absolutely crush it you can very easily end up further away from the hole than you started.

Beef

Silver Knight of the Realm
I don't think I've hit anything more forgiving than my old set of ping eye 2's, they're all over ebay for around $100-$150, old titleist 905 or callaway driver/3-wood. For putters, try some out and then buy online. Lot's of pro shops will have used club listings posted or being the end of season, rentals for sale if they upgrade every year.

Julian The Apostate

Vyemm Raider
Amazon.com: TaylorMade Burner Plus Irons 4-AW (Right Hand, Steel, Regular): Sports Outdoors

I just bought these "game improvement irons" acouple weeks ago and they have been making a big difference in my game. I would defiantly suggest game improvement irons. They have a hollow back and are more forgiving on off center hits. Big improvement from my $40.00 garage sale irons that i was using my first year of playing.

Pro-tip: If you're playing with some friends on another cart, un-hook the straps securing their golf bags to the cart. When they go to pull away hilarity ensues. Wouldnt recommend it if they have nice clubs though.

Julian The Apostate

Vyemm Raider
Also, I took my 3 and 4 iron out of my bag in favor of a 3 and 4 hybrid. For me they are so much easier to hit. I cant hit a 3 or 4 iron to save my life.

Eomer

Trakanon Raider
Pro-tip: If you're playing with some friends on another cart, un-hook the straps securing their golf bags to the cart. When they go to pull away hilarity ensues. Wouldnt recommend it if they have nice clubs though.
That shit just happened to me over the weekend. But it wasn't a jackass friend, it was a shitty strap clip on the ancient golf cart I was on. Jimmies were extremely rustled.

Julian_sl said:
Also, I took my 3 and 4 iron out of my bag in favor of a 3 and 4 hybrid. For me they are so much easier to hit. I cant hit a 3 or 4 iron to save my life.
Most people can't, a 3 iron is a really tough club to hit. Hence most sets now not coming with 3's and sometimes even 4's, unless they're hybrids.

nate_sl

shitlord

This is the best advice given. If you you like playing, and want to improve, go to a less every week for 5 weeks. In between lessons, practice applying what you learned in the lesson. You are probably doing many things wrong if you are just doing what feels right. Correcting these problems now will be much easier than playing for a year or two then trying to change your swing. Take whatever clubs you have, and let the pro decide if you need different clubs. As long as he isn't a shit head who makes commission off selling $600 drivers in the club store, he should be able to recommend a good set for around $200-$300. Honestly, I wouldn't go any cheaper than $150. Golf is an expensive game, get used to paying to play.

Melicant

Bronze Baronet of the Realm
It's really important to get your swing analyzed and clubs custom fit ASAP, as there is a lot more to clubs than just length. Repeatedly using clubs that aren't a good fit can really screw up your swing. Most good shops will analyze your swing and give you the appropriate length, lie angle, flex, and grip size.

Intrinsic

Person of Whiteness
<Gold Donor>
Earlier this year I bought a set of clubs from some dude off Craigslist b/c I've never played and had a lot of work tournaments coming up. One of my co-workers went to UofA on a golf scholarship and is pretty good. He came with me to meet the dude in a Pizza Hut parking lot. 50'ish year old guy rolled up with his wife in their PT Cruiser, pulled out 4 golf bags full of clubs, and let us pick. Ended up getting umm... Callaway Diablo driver, Taylor Made Burner wood, Callaway X18 Irons 3-pw, Oddessy 2 ball, think that was all, for like $280. Have served me well and really enjoy playing. Need to play a lot more next year though. Also want to find someone around town to give me lessons.

Khane

Got something right about marriage
It's really important to get your swing analyzed and clubs custom fit ASAP, as there is a lot more to clubs than just length. Repeatedly using clubs that aren't a good fit can really screw up your swing. Most good shops will analyze your swing and give you the appropriate length, lie angle, flex, and grip size.
You've been fooled Melicant. That whole fitting bullshit is exactly that, bullshit. They'll give you off the rack clubs after they charge you for the fitting. Seriously, getting fit for clubs is a crock of shit for anyone who isn't a sub 10 handicap. Go to Golfer's Warehouse, swing at their indoor range, find out how fast you swing, find a shaft appropriate for that speed on the internet and buy a cheap set. Your clubs aren't going to magically shave 5 strokes off your scores. Getting offset clubs is kind of like taking 800mg of Ibuprofen everyday for your bum shoulder. It dulls the pain for a bit but all your doing is making your shoulder worse and eventually you need surgery. Lessons are the surgery, offset clubs are the ibuprofen, and your swing is the bum shoulder.

Melicant

Bronze Baronet of the Realm
You've been fooled Melicant. That whole fitting bullshit is exactly that, bullshit. They'll give you off the rack clubs after they charge you for the fitting. Seriously, getting fit for clubs is a crock of shit for anyone who isn't a sub 10 handicap. Go to Golfer's Warehouse, swing at their indoor range, find out how fast you swing, find a shaft appropriate for that speed on the internet and buy a cheap set. Your clubs aren't going to magically shave 5 strokes off your scores. Getting offset clubs is kind of like taking 800mg of Ibuprofen everyday for your bum shoulder. It dulls the pain for a bit but all your doing is making your shoulder worse and eventually you need surgery. Lessons are the surgery, offset clubs are the ibuprofen, and your swing is the bum shoulder.
You have got to be kidding me. Most good shops don't even charge for a fitting or made-to-order clubs. I never said anything about offset clubs or "magically" shaving strokes either. Starting golf with clubs that are too short/long, the wrong grip, and a lie angle that is way off will affect your swing. If you think a guy who is 5'8" and a guy 6'2" should be swinging the same irons you are delusional. If you are a perfectly average adult male go buy a set off the shelf, because that's who they are made for, but for anyone else you are most likely costing yourself strokes, and in some cases a lot if something like your lie angle is way off. Don't waste money on a set of clubs that your first legitimate instructor tells you to get rid of or get properly adjusted.