Beginner/casual golf clubs?

Khane

Got something right about marriage
You have got to be kidding me. Most good shops don't even charge for a fitting or made-to-order clubs. I never said anything about offset clubs or "magically" shaving strokes either. Starting golf with clubs that are too short/long, the wrong grip, and a lie angle that is way off will affect your swing. If you think a guy who is 5'8" and a guy 6'2" should be swinging the same irons you are delusional. If you are a perfectly average adult male go buy a set off the shelf, because that's who they are made for, but for anyone else you are most likely costing yourself strokes, and in some cases a lot if something like your lie angle is way off. Don't waste money on a set of clubs that your first legitimate instructor tells you to get rid of or get properly adjusted.
You know they sell off the rack clubs for taller guys right? Getting fit is a waste of time and money. You're talking about lie angle to a beginner? I don't even give a shit about lie angle and I've been golfing for 15 years and am an 8.7 index. There are guys at my club who are 15 or higher handicaps who get fit for new clubs every year. You know what it does for them? Exactly jack and shit. Seriously, stop telling the guy to go out of his way for absolutely no benefit. Go buy a beginner set off the rack at Dick's or that Rockbottomgolf website I posted earlier. They sell sets for taller guys off the rack. And fittings for free? The only time I've ever seen free fittings is at demo days at golf clubs and ranges. And you know what those fittings consist of? "Oh so here's our new product apparently it's perfect for you! This is going to change your game trust me!"

You watch too much golf channel bro. And if the pro you are taking lessons with tells you to change your clubs knowing you are a beginner golfer? Go find a different pro who knows something about the golf swing instead of blaming your clubs just because he can't teach you.

Dude has played one round of golf EVER.

Get some shitty clubs and start swinging them. Advice given.
Seriously. This.

Borzak

Bronze Baron of the Realm
The best advice I got when I started playing other than to get some lessons was take the driver out of the bag entirely and play without it. It's amazing how some people get hung up on it and spend hours at the range with the driver when they could take it out and lower their score and have a better day using a wood or even a hybrid instead.

My dad is a casual golfer, he bought an entire set of Adams off of rockbottom golf and enjoys the hell out of them playing once a week now. I think he paid $200 or so for them with the bag.

The only thing I'll say about clubs making a difference is a generational thing. When I started there were no hybrids. Some guys carried a 2 iron and most a 3 iron. Even the cheapest of the cheap clubs today with hybrids in them will be better than those old irons that were top notch 20 years ago.

Khane

The best advice I got when I started playing other than to get some lessons was take the driver out of the bag entirely and play without it. It's amazing how some people get hung up on it and spend hours at the range with the driver when they could take it out and lower their score and have a better day using a wood or even a hybrid instead.

My dad is a casual golfer, he bought an entire set of Adams off of rockbottom golf and enjoys the hell out of them playing once a week now. I think he paid $200 or so for them with the bag.

The only thing I'll say about clubs making a difference is a generational thing. When I started there were no hybrids. Some guys carried a 2 iron and most a 3 iron. Even the cheapest of the cheap clubs today with hybrids in them will be better than those old irons that were top notch 20 years ago.
Never hitting your driver isn't bad advice for a beginner because a lot of new golfers really just can't hit it. The problem I have with that though, and why I don't really recommend doing that, is if you don't learn how to hit it once you get better and can benefit from the extra distance off the tee you won't have the confidence and comfort with it you really need. Golf is a mental game more than anything else. Confidence plays a huge part.

Szeth

Trakanon Raider
Never hitting your driver isn't bad advice for a beginner because a lot of new golfers really just can't hit it. The problem I have with that though, and why I don't really recommend doing that, is if you don't learn how to hit it once you get better and can benefit from the extra distance off the tee you won't have the confidence and comfort with it you really need. Golf is a mental game more than anything else. Confidence plays a huge part.
I just started using a driver again over a three wood... and it changes a lot of par 4s pretty dramatically when you get an additional 50-60 yards off the tee. We're talking 9 irons instead of 4 irons.

Falstaff

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
I just started using a driver again over a three wood... and it changes a lot of par 4s pretty dramatically when you get an additional 50-60 yards off the tee. We're talking 9 irons instead of 4 irons.
I hit my 3 wood off the tee for about 10 years. Just recently started using my driver again this past summer.

Brahma

Obi-Bro Kenobi-X

My pro did just that with my driver.

I LOVE my hybrids. Every bad golfer needs a hybrid.

Khane

Hybrids are so much easier to hit for most golfers over long irons. They might be the greatest technological advancement in clubs in the last 50 years.

Szeth

Trakanon Raider
Hybrids are so much easier to hit for most golfers over long irons. They might be the greatest technological advancement in clubs in the last 50 years.
Yea... But there's something to be said for the feeling of hitting a beautiful 4 iron 215 or so. I hit blades so it's just got this amazing feel when you hit it right (and awful the other 70% of the time)

Nester

Vyemm Raider
I did not read most of this thread, but check local clubs for rental set sales this time of year. Sometimes they have some solid sets for really cheap prices.

agripa

Molten Core Raider
Go onto ebay and get a set of irons. I prefer callaway or ping, they great golf companies. I still use my ping i2's which are like 20 years old. Also focus on the last 50 yards of your game it is where you gain most of your shots.

Borzak

I did not read most of this thread, but check local clubs for rental set sales this time of year. Sometimes they have some solid sets for really cheap prices.
This time of year pro shops at country clubs and courses will often change their pro for next year and do a closeout if they are changing brands. My country club stopped selling cobra clubs a few years ago and marked them down 75% when the new pro came in.

Khane

Yea... But there's something to be said for the feeling of hitting a beautiful 4 iron 215 or so. I hit blades so it's just got this amazing feel when you hit it right (and awful the other 70% of the time)
Well I don't have any hybrids in my bag, I have a very steep swing plane and I just hit irons better. But for 95% of golfers, hybrids are a godsend.

BrutulTM

Good, bad, I'm the guy with the gun.
<Silver Donator>
Golf is only fun until you start to care how well you do. After that point it sucks. My advice is get a cheap set of clubs so when you fuck up you can blame it on your walmart clubs. Then play with people who drink beer and don't keep score. That is the way to enjoy golf. Oh and people who actually have shoes and shit are usually douche bags. Stay away from them unless you think you can hit them with a ball.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Julian The Apostate

Vyemm Raider
I really hate going golfing on peak hours unless I have a foursome. You never know what dickheads you might get paired with. The first time I went golfing me and a buddy got paired with another twosome that were gigantic douche bags. The one guy got really pissed because I walked on the line from the ball to the hole on a 10 ft putt of his, like I knew that little piece of etiquette my first time golfing.

Eomer

Trakanon Raider
I really hate going golfing on peak hours unless I have a foursome. You never know what dickheads you might get paired with. The first time I went golfing me and a buddy got paired with another twosome that were gigantic douche bags. The one guy got really pissed because I walked on the line from the ball to the hole on a 10 ft putt of his, like I knew that little piece of etiquette my first time golfing.
I guess it's all about how he handled it, but quite honestly that's one of the most basic elements of etiquette in the sport. He shouldn't have raged about it if he did, but I get pissed when people do that too. Not because it's really going to make a difference in me missing that 10 foot putt by 5 feet, but because again it's one of the most basic etiquette rules in the sport. If you're ever doing golf for business and not just fun, then etiquette is extremely important. If you're just fucking around on a public course on the weekend, then not nearly as big of a deal of course.

If I'm golfing with someone that I know isn't too up to speed with the rules and such and they walk over my putting line, I'll generally just make a snide remark and then let them know walking up to the next tee that what they did wasn't cool. Same thing with talking during swings, not moving your shadow out of someone's putting line/view, grounding clubs in traps, and so on. Doing it tactfully is important.

Szeth

Trakanon Raider
My buddy just got into golf this year, and it was certainly interesting explaining these things to him. Sometimes he would get indignant, and act like I was the asshole for trying to help him understand the etiquette. We're playing in a club tournament this weekend, so it will be interesting to see how it goes with him.

Eomer, buy the new Taylormade Speedblade Irons and when you don't like them sell them to me at like 15% of retail. Thanks my Canuckian Financier.

Borzak

Glad I don't have to deal with that crap. I live across the road from a resort style course owned by the state and during the week I just walk over there and tee off with no reservation and they don't make you play with someone else. Country club is about 5 minutes away and I normally can play alone there as well if I go during the week.

I might play a round once a month or two with my dad, otherwise I always play alone.

Eomer

Trakanon Raider
My buddy just got into golf this year, and it was certainly interesting explaining these things to him. Sometimes he would get indignant, and act like I was the asshole for trying to help him understand the etiquette. We're playing in a club tournament this weekend, so it will be interesting to see how it goes with him.

Eomer, buy the new Taylormade Speedblade Irons and when you don't like them sell them to me at like 15% of retail. Thanks my Canuckian Financier.
Yeah, I had one buddy that I took for a round at the private course I play at, and he got a little indignant as well when I pointed shit out to him. Thing was, he'd specifically said "hey man, let's go golfing more this summer, I need to start getting better because I'm being asked to do it for business/work reasons." Dude is a corporate lawyer. He just rolled his eyes when I told him his best bet is probably to go out and buy some sort of "golf etiquette and rules for dummies" book. I learned most of that shit when I was growing up playing at a private club for 3 summers with my asshole, OCD dad, but for the average person a lot of it can be a bit of a mystery. If you're going to do that shit for business, you need to know enough to not piss people off, because a lot of people take golf very, very seriously.