Best Credit Card with Cash Back Rewards

Eomer

Trakanon Raider
Will a dealership even allow you to pay off a car with a credit card? A bank certainly won't let you pay off a loan with one so I'd be surprised if a dealership accepted CC as payment for anything more than a small down payment.
Totally depends on the dealership and what kind of deal they have with Visa or whoever. If they only accept one of the major CC's, they can negotiate better rates. We pay 200-400k a month on our Visa to plumbing wholesales, and they're fine with it. We get 1% back to be used for flights, hotels, car rental etc. as we see fit. What they pay, I have no idea. Although one recently contacted us and asked if we'd be willing to switch from Visa to Mastercard, as they're thinking of dropping Visa to negotiate a better MC rate. I know when I put my Visa down to help the girlfriend out on a used car a couple years ago, they had no issue with putting 9k on the Visa. Probably because they felt guilty making so much money off her poor, err non-existent negotiating on the sale price. But in any case, there wasn't any surcharge for it.

On the other hand, last time I personally dealt with a dealership, the finance chick gave me 2% off when I paid in cash/draft for my BMW. That was after I'd already negotiated a discount with the salesman, so that was nice.

Kaige

ReRefugee
<WoW Guild Officer>
So, the Sallie Mae Visa card is a Commence junk card now - anyone had luck swapping it to something else? If so, what's the best option?

Hekotat

FoH nuclear response team
Finally jumping on board this cash back CC train, and I've been checking out nerdwallet and it seems Citibank has the best cash back rewards. Anyone have any input on why this one wouldn't be a bad idea?

Keystone

Lord Nagafen Raider
Not that that one would be a bad idea, but I've fairly recently started dabbling with this stuff myself, and the signup bonus's on some cards are just unreal. Would highly recommend looking into chase ultimate rewards cards (Sapphire Preferred, and Ink Business Preferred (you don't actually need to be a business, just need to have sold something on ebay or something similar)). Just signing up for these two cards and clearing the min spends (4k for preferred and 5k for business 3months on each) I've gotten $2,000 worth of travel reward points in the last 5months.

If anyone is interested in actually going forward with either of these pm me I'll get you a referral link and answer any questions you have = ).

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Hekotat

Switched to amazon visa because we buy enough from amazon for it to make sense.

Yeah I got the amazon store card and it gives 5% cash back which is insanity.

I got approved for the Citibank double cash card, so the gameplan is to transfer all debt to it and pay it off as well as use it for bills. Then purcahse all items from amazon using the store card then pay it off using the citibank card, that's a whoping 7% cash back.

Last edited:

Burnesto

Molten Core Raider
I recently activated a 5/3 Trio Rewards Master card with $250 cash back on $500 spent in three months. It looks like it's a targeted mailer, but well worth it if they send you one.

I couldn't pass it up when I saw it. I'll pay the card off with my bonus and then add it to the CC graveyard in my file cabinet.

Yeah I got the amazon store card and it gives 5% cash back which is insanity.

I got approved for the Citibank double cash card, so the gameplan is to transfer all debt to it and pay it off as well as use it for bills. Then purcahse all items from amazon using the store card then pay it off using the citibank card, that's a whoping 7% cash back.

How can you pay off a credit card with a credit card? Balance transfers don't give cash back on that card when you pay it off. Plus it has a 3%, or minimum $5, transfer fee even though the APR is 0%.

Hekotat

I recently activated a 5/3 Trio Rewards Master card with $250 cash back on $500 spent in three months. It looks like it's a targeted mailer, but well worth it if they send you one.

I couldn't pass it up when I saw it. I'll pay the card off with my bonus and then add it to the CC graveyard in my file cabinet.

How can you pay off a credit card with a credit card? Balance transfers don't give cash back on that card when you pay it off. Plus it has a 3%, or minimum $5, transfer fee even though the APR is 0%.

Says it has an 18 month balance transfer period where I can earn rewards.

Make my payments to amazon with the Citibank card, Amazon get's paid and I get my 2% from the Citi card.

Burnesto

Molten Core Raider
Says it has an 18 month balance transfer period where I can earn rewards.

Make my payments to amazon with the Citibank card, Amazon get's paid and I get my 2% from the Citi card.
The store card would still function like a credit card. I don't have one but I'd guess you can't use a credit card to pay your Amazon store card bill. You could just have a circle of debt if you were able to pay credit cards with credit cards.

Hekotat

The store card would still function like a credit card. I don't have one but I'd guess you can't use a credit card to pay your Amazon store card bill. You could just have a circle of debt if you were able to pay credit cards with credit cards.

I don't see how it wouldn't work but we shall see, I'll gladly concede if I'm wrong.

Arden

Blackwing Lair Raider
What great rewards credit cards are people using these days? Travel, cash back, whatever. I've been putting this off for a long time but I'm ready to go ahead and jump on the all rewards bandwagon and want some input from FoH bros.

Burnesto

Molten Core Raider
What great rewards credit cards are people using these days? Travel, cash back, whatever. I've been putting this off for a long time but I'm ready to go ahead and jump on the all rewards bandwagon and want some input from FoH bros.

I think Chase rewards cards are hard to beat at the moment. You need a Freedom, Freedom Unlimited, and a Sapphire Preferred to really max points out though. Both of the Freedom versions typically give $150 back on $500 spent in the first three months. The Sapphire Preferred was $500 back on $4k spent in three months. Freedom rotates 5% reward categories. Freedom unlimited gives 1.5% on everything. Sapphire Preferred gives 2% on travel and restaurants, and booking travel through the rewards website multiplies your points by 1.25.

Then once you have those three I see people recommending that you transfer the rewards to hotel or airline specific cards through Chase. I'm sure someone has a better idea of how to maximize this step.

Also instead of Sapphire Preferred you could bump up to Sapphire Reserve or one of the business cards if those apply to you. Sapphire Reserve has a very high annual fee so you have to spend a lot to overcome it I believe.

• 1Like

Soygen

The Dirty Dozen For the Price of One
<Nazi Janitors>
I'm using the same card as the one I posted back in 2014 on page 1 of this thread; though now it's a Visa instead of AmEx.

Fidelity Rewards Visa Signature Card

alavaz

Trakanon Raider
I posted it in some thread (apparently not this one), but the Amazon Visa is the way to go if you use amazon in any non-trivial capacity. 5% back on Amazon Prime purchases, 3% back on non prime amazon, 2% restaurant, gas and grocery and 1% on everything else. I literally use it for everything and get a decent amount of points throughout the year. I got this maybe 7-8 years ago now and my limit is up to 25k (started at 3k). The best thing about it though is that 1 point is just 1 cent on Amazon. So you can redeem any amount, any time. My other rewards cards all require you to cash out in $25 denominations so you are always carrying some oddball amount of points that you can't do anything with.

• 1Like

Ritley

Karazhan Raider
I use 3 cards, amazon prime, Discover, and us bank cash+.

Between those 3 I end up with 2-5% on most of my purchases

Soygen

The Dirty Dozen For the Price of One
<Nazi Janitors>
I posted it in some thread (apparently not this one), but the Amazon Visa is the way to go if you use amazon in any non-trivial capacity. 5% back on Amazon Prime purchases, 3% back on non prime amazon, 2% restaurant, gas and grocery and 1% on everything else. I literally use it for everything and get a decent amount of points throughout the year. I got this maybe 7-8 years ago now and my limit is up to 25k (started at 3k). The best thing about it though is that 1 point is just 1 cent on Amazon. So you can redeem any amount, any time. My other rewards cards all require you to cash out in $25 denominations so you are always carrying some oddball amount of points that you can't do anything with.
This is pretty good. I should do some maths and see what I would have gotten back. I use the fuck out of Prime. Is it cash back or Amazon credit?

alavaz

Trakanon Raider
This is pretty good. I should do some maths and see what I would have gotten back. I use the fuck out of Prime. Is it cash back or Amazon credit?

Amazon credit, or at least that's all I've ever used it for since it's so easy. It just shows up in your Amazon account as available funds. There may be a cash back option if you go through Chase.