Best Credit Card with Cash Back Rewards

Picasso3

Silver Baronet of the Realm
Opened a usaa checking fit $400 back with two 250 deposits too.
So I should be getting 1100 in the next month for opening accounts.

Mist

Eeyore Enthusiast
<Gold Donor>
Chase Freedom refer a friend, the friend gets 150 bucks back after their first $500 in purchases, the referrer gets $50 as soon as the friend uses the card once.

Antarius

Lord Nagafen Raider
My card is pretty vanilla...

1.75% cashback

Sounds like I need to do some shopping around. High 700s credit score.

Rangoth

Blackwing Lair Raider
Any recommendations for travel cards not restricted to a particular airline? I probably spend around $5k/year on flights and hotels and I wonder whether I can do better than the 2% cash back on my Citi Double Cash card.

I fly American pretty frequently, with United a close second. Not sufficiently often to have status with either of them. I also tend to travel for just a few days, so never had any use for the free checked luggage that comes with their branded credit cards (i.e. doesn't seem worth the annual fee to me). Hotels vary a lot more, with Sheraton & Marriott maybe the most common; but for trips that aren't reimbursed, I just pick whichever decent hotel is cheapest in the area (occasionally grabbing an Airbnb).

Also, I haven't really thought about this, but it might be sensible to sign up for at least the American & United cards and collect some sign-up bonus miles, then cancel before the annual fee hits? A year's worth of free perks seems pretty decent.
Citicard prestige is nice and generic for travel, but comes with some "American/One World" offers

AladainAF

Best Rabbit
<Gold Donor>
I am still using the old Amex blue. It still seems to be the best bang for the buck for me. First $6,500 is 1% cash back at grocery/drug stores/gas, 0.5% everywhere else. After that, its 5% cash back at grocery/drug stores/gas, and 1% everywhere else. No annual fee. I've been thinking of the other Amex blue card because me and the wife spend about $50,000 a year on the amex and end up with about 1,200$ a year in cash back. But the annual fee of the newer cards don't seem to make it as good a deal, even with my spending.

Soriak_sl said:
Any recommendations for travel cards not restricted to a particular airline? I probably spend around $5k/year on flights and hotels and I wonder whether I can do better than the 2% cash back on my Citi Double Cash card.
American Express Platinum. Yes it's $450 annual fee, but the rewards are insane for the traveler (For example: Instant gold status for hilton hhonors, included complimentary entry into the admirals club/etc type deal for many airlines, not just one. That alone costs $400 a year for American Airlines Admiral Club for a 1 year membership. Free TSA Pre-check, $200 credit from incidentals like bag fees on a specific airline of your choice, etc). Plus, its a 1:1 conversion on points on the card to miles of airlines or hotels. Can read more here:In-Depth 2015 American Express Platinum Card Benefits Review

The citi prestige is also a good card, but admittedly I do not know as much about it, other than it too is a great card and also has a $450 annual fee. I do know it only allows entry to the AA admirals club and not others. However, you earn tons of points with it and IIRC it also has a 1:1 conversion ratio to 11 airlines.

Picasso3

I'm pretty pissed at the citi premier for giving me a $4200 credit limit. I haven't spoken with anyone but my automated request for increase got denied. May just take my $500 bonus and move on after that.

Palum

what Suineg set it to
Chase Freedom refer a friend, the friend gets 150 bucks back after their first $500 in purchases, the referrer gets $50 as soon as the friend uses the card once.
Also they're running 10% cash back on Amazon for the first 1500 from now until right before xmas. That's honestly insane.

Palum

what Suineg set it to
OK, so I've had a BoA card for about a decade now. Really low 'pre-ban' rate but I didn't use it all that much because there were no rewards. Now I just got an offer to upgrade it to a 'travel rewards' card. It says all T&C carry over including APR, special offers (I have 0% 18 mo w/ 3% fee balance transfers on this always so its nice because I could basically buy a new car at nominally 2% APR as cash if I needed to I guess). The only thing is that it is upgrading from fixed line to a hybrid NPSL account.

My understanding is that theoretically if I were to go buy something for my existing revolving limit + 2K, I would have to pay min + 2K? So it's like a credit card with an AMEX account on top?

I've lamented this card has such low rates and good offers but no rewards on it but I've come to expect every change from a bank is a negative one so I just want a second opinion. Still not sure I'd use the card but points are better than nothing for when it comes up.

Vinen

God is dead
I'm pretty pissed at the citi premier for giving me a $4200 credit limit. I haven't spoken with anyone but my automated request for increase got denied. May just take my $500 bonus and move on after that.
Chase Sapphire won't shut the fuck up about asking me if I want an increase. Sitting at ~9 grand and I have no cares to increase it... guess I could for when I buy my next car.

Khane

Got something right about marriage
Will a dealership even allow you to pay off a car with a credit card? A bank certainly won't let you pay off a loan with one so I'd be surprised if a dealership accepted CC as payment for anything more than a small down payment.

Vinen

God is dead
Will a dealership even allow you to pay off a car with a credit card? A bank certainly won't let you pay off a loan with one so I'd be surprised if a dealership accepted CC as payment for anything more than a small down payment.
No idea, I've seen people put $10K down, etc. I figured I could put more but who knows.

Picasso3

Chase sapphire had me at 12k iirc. I liked that card, i may keep it next time and pay the 95$.

Rangoth

Blackwing Lair Raider
No idea, I've seen people put $10K down, etc. I figured I could put more but who knows.
You can buy a car with a credit card
smile.png

Soygen

The Dirty Dozen For the Price of One
<Nazi Janitors>
Chase Sapphire won't shut the fuck up about asking me if I want an increase. Sitting at ~9 grand and I have no cares to increase it... guess I could for when I buy my next car.
It's no hit against your credit and decreases your debt/credit ratio, which is a positive for credit score. May as well just take it. The only people who shouldn't take increases are people who shouldn't have credit cards to begin with.

Lejina

(╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻
<Bronze Donator>
Yeah, if you aren't a moron there's no downside to increase your limit. Well, if you'd be looking for a mortgage the bank may ask to reduce your revolving credit in order to offer a larger one but that's it really and you already have a mortgage.

Cad

<Bronze Donator>
Usually not because the dealer will eat the transaction fee which could be $1000+ on a $30k payoff for example. If you're willing to eat the transaction fee my guess is they'll let you do whatever you want.

Khane

It's no hit against your credit and decreases your debt/credit ratio, which is a positive for credit score. May as well just take it. The only people who shouldn't take increases are people who shouldn't have credit cards to begin with.
Not really true. Yes it lowers your utilization if you're not spending more after an increase but if you have an available amount of credit that's approaching your yearly income it can make it very hard to get any new financing on anything at all. It also depends on other things like average age of accounts and such.

It usually doesn't hurt but keep in mind, if you increase limits on existing cards that's all fine and dandy but if you get a great offer on a new card and open it you're going to suddenly be looking at a lower average age of accounts and also a higher amount of available credit, which could affect your credit score more than it would if you had lower limits on your other accounts.

I mean, if there's no reason you need the extra credit why increase it?

Khane

You can buy a car with a credit card
smile.png
You were able to pay a car in full using a credit card directly at a dealership? Like Cad said I'm surprised they were willing to eat the interchange fee which is usually anywhere from 1.5% to 3%.

Soygen

The Dirty Dozen For the Price of One
<Nazi Janitors>
I'm strictly talking existing cards, not opening new accounts.

Last time I bought a car, they would only allow 5,000 max on a card.

opiate82

Bronze Squire
I'm sure each dealership has their own rules on accepting CC's but I've never ran into one that wouldn't at least take a deposit via CC. Also not hard for them to add the interchange fees to your final costs.