Best phone games?

• Guest, it's time once again for the hotly contested and exciting FoH Asshat Tournament!

Go here and fill out your bracket!
    Who's been the biggest Asshat in the last year? Once again, only you can decide!

Couchy

Molten Core Raider
I am super addicted to Retro Bowl right now. Its a new mobile football game with retro graphics, simplistic controls, and rpg elements with player/coach levels and skills. You just control the offense and your defensive player levels determine how your defense does. It does cost $1.

Since theres no sports and the NFL draft I've been obsessed trying to get the best lineup. I go for top tier QB, great RB, 2 good WR, and a decent TE, no OL. On defense go for 2 LB and 2 DB all 3+ stars, no DL. In coordinators you want 3+ stars with the traits of Physio/talent spotter. Higher rated coordinators help the no name players. Physio keeps players healthier and talent spotter raises everyones potential, one time, when they join the team.

Obsidian

<Bronze Donator>
I am super addicted to Retro Bowl right now. Its a new mobile football game with retro graphics, simplistic controls, and rpg elements with player/coach levels and skills. You just control the offense and your defensive player levels determine how your defense does. It does cost $1.

Since theres no sports and the NFL draft I've been obsessed trying to get the best lineup. I go for top tier QB, great RB, 2 good WR, and a decent TE, no OL. On defense go for 2 LB and 2 DB all 3+ stars, no DL. In coordinators you want 3+ stars with the traits of Physio/talent spotter. Higher rated coordinators help the no name players. Physio keeps players healthier and talent spotter raises everyones potential, one time, when they join the team.

I also had a lot of fun with retro bowl, until I figured out how to win basically every game. It was fun when I knew I had to play well to win games against highly rated teams and eventually the title, but once you figure out the "right" lineup to exploit the ai you can go 16-0 every season and win the bowl with no sweat off your back. I think i had something like 10 consecutive undefeated seasons before I got bored, it was a lot of fun until then though

BrutulTM

Good, bad, I'm the guy with the gun.
<Silver Donator>
No such thing as good mobile games. Fuck China and the bulk of companies from there. I remember a time when I thought it was grind fest Korean games that were the real aids in gaming.

None of this is a secret or a surprise, just like to see it called out.

Game ads on FB are such a joke. There tons of ads that make their games look like fun puzzle games and such and then when you download them they're just the 10 billionth shitty rip off of farmville or candy crush and what they showed in the ad has absolutely nothing to do with the game and every review is just "This wasn't the game I saw in the ad". Do they really make money doing this?

Vanessa

Uncle Tanya
<Banned>
That Level Again

90+ levels of the same level done in ways that every iteration of the level has some new twist on it. I was blown away at the creativity of some of the level designs and the things that must be achieved to pass the level which I didn't think were possible on a phone. I didn't intend to be hooked but the joy of wracking your brain based on the clue given every level (the clues are like the Dungeon Master from the 80s D&D cartoon... very terse, riddled, but once you figure it out, completely efficient for the answer) made it really enjoyable.

Don't even attempt to play this on desktop or a cellphone emulator... play it on your actual cell; trust me.

Fyff

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
That Level Again

90+ levels of the same level done in ways that every iteration of the level has some new twist on it. I was blown away at the creativity of some of the level designs and the things that must be achieved to pass the level which I didn't think were possible on a phone. I didn't intend to be hooked but the joy of wracking your brain based on the clue given every level (the clues are like the Dungeon Master from the 80s D&D cartoon... very terse, riddled, but once you figure it out, completely efficient for the answer) made it really enjoyable.

Don't even attempt to play this on desktop or a cellphone emulator... play it on your actual cell; trust me.
Did like 20 levels on my phone. Came back like 6 hours later and game just crashes. Uninstalled and reinstalled and same thing. Was fun while it lasted.

Rease

Blackwing Lair Raider
If someone were still looking for Turn Based upfront priced gamed with no ptw give the Banner Saga and its sequels a try. They work well enough on the phone although I would suggest playing on a PC if you can. Battle Chasers Nightwar I would suggest in the same vein although its style is more Final Fantasy VI or Chrono Trigger whereas Banner Saga is more Fire Emblem combat style.

Darkest Dungeon also works reasonably well on mobile as well and no PTW garbage.

If you like the mega loot style of Warframe then Eternium on mobile is something you should try. It has some silly mobile gimmicks like drawing spells and performing skills by drawing symbols on the screen.

Exiled Kingdoms is an oldy but goody ARPG loot fest. Don't get hung up on the graphics and you have 100+ hours of content to go through.

If you like Souls style gameplay but want to do it on mobile Grimvalor is one of the better souls types on the platform.

If you like old crpgs like Eye of the Beholder and don't have a computer you can play the original Legend of Grimrock on mobile and it works fairly well. I would suggest playing it on computer or tablet but phone works.

OceanHorn 2 is kinda a middle ground on mobile between Zelda a Link to the Past and Breath of the Wild. The original was pretty solid as well.

Severed is kinda cool as a Fruit Ninja type but with rpg on top. It is semi unique and some might find it right up their alley. It definitely fully takes advantage of the platform.

Titans Quest runs well on mobile and is a great ARPG.

All of Super Giants recent hits also play well on mobile like Transistor, Bastion etc

This thread seemed fairly dead so I figured I would put up all the single cost non ptw games I have played on the shitter at one time or another.

Last edited:
  • 3Like
Reactions: 2 users

a c i d.f l y

ಠ_ಠ
<Silver Donator>
Battle Chasers was hella fun and I'm kinna disappointed I beat it on PC. The combat was well balanced, fleshed out, and had many subtle layers. If anything, it was too short. But for anyone looking for a solid game, I can't suggest it more highly. Very fun, not p2w, no micros.

• 1Solidarity
Reactions: 1 user

Vanessa

Uncle Tanya
<Banned>
Escape Room games have always been enjoyable to me. The first one I ever played was the classic Crimson Room:

jam4eb0ufuh21.jpg

If you ever played this (I bet a few here have), you'd like where we are today. There are several similar styled free to play games you can get on your phone. After going through many, I'd say the best series are from the guys at Rusty Lake.

They have made many of them, and some are better than others but all are genuinely good. There may be a proper order to playing them because there are very common themed elements in all their games, but it feels loosely connected; like any artistic work, the more you are a fan, the more those loose connections feel solid.

They are simple games but can be devilishly complex too... using logic, reason, and pattern seeking in their creative use of puzzle solving apparatuses to solve the various elements within their games.

Give it a go... I promise their games are some of the cream of the crop of free games to play from this genre with very little ad interference like many other free games you encounter.

Start with this search on Google Play: Cube Escape: Paradox

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Brikker

Trump's Staff
Archero has also been a fun little game. I'm on a roguelike kick

• 2Like
  • 1Dislike
Reactions: 2 users

Couchy

Molten Core Raider
Can anyone suggest a good sci-fi game? I dont have the time for something like Eve, but some kind of fleet game would be what im interested in.

Hachima

Molten Core Raider
Can anyone suggest a good sci-fi game? I dont have the time for something like Eve, but some kind of fleet game would be what im interested in.
Second Galaxy is a much better version of what Eve mobile should have been. You can actually play it in short ~15 min spurts.

mkopec

<Gold Donor>
Many of these things are not really games, they are a way to siphon money from your pockets hidden behind a graphical interface.

• 7Like
Reactions: 6 users

Rease

Blackwing Lair Raider
Many of these things are not really games, they are a way to siphon money from your pockets hidden behind a graphical interface.
Most of what I posted semi-recently were not ptw generally they were pay once to own games.

Crone

Bronze Baronet of the Realm
Didn't want to make a new post for this, but what's the best Android emulator these days? Heard Bluestacks was full of bloat, and was getting people banned in some games, so then Nox was all the rage, but not sure if that's still the case?

a c i d.f l y

ಠ_ಠ
<Silver Donator>
Nox is what I've been using forever. You can also use the Android dev kit emulator, but it's slow as balls.

Just use the Nox multi-player tool to setup and use an Android 7 box. The default uses 5 which doesn't work with anything these days.

Kithani

Blackwing Lair Raider
Escape Room games have always been enjoyable to me. The first one I ever played was the classic Crimson Room:

View attachment 317917

If you ever played this (I bet a few here have), you'd like where we are today. There are several similar styled free to play games you can get on your phone. After going through many, I'd say the best series are from the guys at Rusty Lake.

They have made many of them, and some are better than others but all are genuinely good. There may be a proper order to playing them because there are very common themed elements in all their games, but it feels loosely connected; like any artistic work, the more you are a fan, the more those loose connections feel solid.

They are simple games but can be devilishly complex too... using logic, reason, and pattern seeking in their creative use of puzzle solving apparatuses to solve the various elements within their games.

Give it a go... I promise their games are some of the cream of the crop of free games to play from this genre with very little ad interference like many other free games you encounter.

Start with this search on Google Play: Cube Escape: Paradox
This has been a great recommendation, thanks. The only thing I don’t really like is when I get stuck and it turns out I just hadn’t “clicked” on some random tiny off-colored pixel that I’d passed by 15x that immediately makes everything solvable.

Chanur

Shit Posting Professional
<Gold Donor>
I enjoy war games like Tribal Wars and Travian where you can destroy months of someones progress so war is actually significant. Can someone recommend something like this?

Vanessa

Uncle Tanya
<Banned>
This has been a great recommendation, thanks. The only thing I don’t really like is when I get stuck and it turns out I just hadn’t “clicked” on some random tiny off-colored pixel that I’d passed by 15x that immediately makes everything solvable.
Glad I could provide! I love them!

I had an addiction to tower defense games for awhile. Found Kingdom Crush 1 & 2 to be the best ones during that time... any better ones out there since then?