Best place to live

Alex

Still a Music Elitist
I may live in Louisville, but I can say Lexington is very nice. Personally however, if given the choice, I'd say Indianapolis would be another great location over Lexington. Lots to do,decent climate, inexpensive, have great sports teams, and short drives to Chicago and scenic areas around Indiana.
I don't think you know what that means. Decent compared to Saskatchewan?

Eomer

Trakanon Raider
Does anyone know if a place exists where winter isn't colder than 5 degrees celsius, and summer isn't hotter than 30 degrees?

and preferably summer runs from march to september.
Victoria, British Columbia. Similar climate to Vancouver/Portland/Seattle, but tends to get less rain.

Borzak

Bronze Baron of the Realm
I went to Victoria in 1992. All I saw were Asians. At the time they were flooding in to have children if in the fear of what was going to happen when Hong Kong when they were taken over by the Chinese later that decade.

Eomer

Trakanon Raider
I went to Victoria in 1992. All I saw were Asians. At the time they were flooding in to have children if in the fear of what was going to happen when Hong Kong when they were taken over by the Chinese later that decade.
You sure you're not thinking Vancouver? Victoria doesn't have nearly the Asian numbers that Van does. In the summer it's flooded with Americans, generally. Basically it's seniors, students, and (American) tourists.

Alex

Still a Music Elitist
When I was in Vancouver I just noticed the extreme amount of amazingly beautiful women. And how they seemed to outnumber dudes by a lot.

Borzak

You sure you're not thinking Vancouver? Victoria doesn't have nearly the Asian numbers that Van does. In the summer it's flooded with Americans, generally. Basically it's seniors, students, and (American) tourists.
It was both then. I just traveled there again 2 summers ago and the number of Asians was a lot less than it was then in the 90's when they were afraid of Hong Kong going back to the Chinese. Everyone I talked to said they were having kids and then going back. They were everywhere.

I went to Victoria when I looked a job in Anacortes.

TJT

Mr. Poopybutthole
<Gold Donor>
Austin is pretty nice. Although it is getting noticeably more crowded very quickly. I've only been here for ~3 years and the difference is dramatic.

Plenty of work if you work in ANY kind of tech though. Which is nice, and generally not too expensive if you live outside of downtown proper. I never understood why people are willing to pay $2200+ just to be in the thick of it in South Austin. I'll gladly take my 10 minute drive.

Arden

Blackwing Lair Raider
Austin is pretty nice. Although it is getting noticeably more crowded very quickly. I've only been here for ~3 years and the difference is dramatic.

Plenty of work if you work in ANY kind of tech though. Which is nice, and generally not too expensive if you live outside of downtown proper. I never understood why people are willing to pay $2200+ just to be in the thick of it in South Austin. I'll gladly take my 10 minute drive.
I spent a week in Austin to check it out because I had heard good things. I liked it to visit, but not to live. The music/culture/cuisine/nightlife aspects were top notch. Maybe I just missed some things, but Austin failed pretty hard on the outdoor things to do/local points of interest front though. It was flat, hot, and boring outside of drinking/eating/music venues. I went to Lake Travis, but the damn thing has damn near disappeared. Other than that, there isn't a mountain or beach in 3+ hours or less drive.

lurker

Vyemm Raider
Boise, ID. Winters are not that long, summers are hot but not overly humid. Water everywhere. No traffic. College town. Summer you can fish or kayak minutes away. Winter you can ski. Very little traffic. Low unemployment rate statewide.

Borzak

I spent a week in Austin to check it out because I had heard good things. I liked it to visit, but not to live. The music/culture/cuisine/nightlife aspects were top notch. Maybe I just missed some things, but Austin failed pretty hard on the outdoor things to do/local points of interest front though. It was flat, hot, and boring outside of drinking/eating/music venues. I went to Lake Travis, but the damn thing has damn near disappeared. Other than that, there isn't a mountain or beach in 3+ hours or less drive.
Lake Travis is full again now after this spring.

Arden

Blackwing Lair Raider
Perfect, I hear Brad is hiring again.

Sorry, I couldn't resist.
Yeah... Unlike some, I learned my lesson from the first time. Even though I don't really regret it. It was very interesting and I loved living in San Diego. I have some good stories from it too.

Of course, I'm no longer at a point in my life where I can afford to make $30,000 a year and get fired in a parking lot and feel ok about it.

Frenzied Wombat

Potato del Grande
Boise, ID. Winters are not that long, summers are hot but not overly humid. Water everywhere. No traffic. College town. Summer you can fish or kayak minutes away. Winter you can ski. Very little traffic. Low unemployment rate statewide.
Sorry, I find it hard to believe that anywhere in Idaho represents the best place to live in the US. I'll leave out the potato jokes.

Arden

Blackwing Lair Raider
Sorry, I find it hard to believe that anywhere in Idaho represents the best place to live in the US. I'll leave out the potato jokes.
This is actually not the first time I have heard of Boise as being a sort of hidden gem. However, like you, I share a little bit of skepticism that the weather is nice and that the city is big enough to sustain a decent culture/nightlife/cuisine selection.

BrutulTM

Good, bad, I'm the guy with the gun.
<Silver Donator>
The "best" place to live varies wildly depending on what you are looking for. If you don't have to get a job then I think a decent case could be made for Coeur d'alene.

rrr_img_106186.jpg