Best place to live

Quineloe

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
Does anyone know if a place exists where winter isn't colder than 5 degrees celsius, and summer isn't hotter than 30 degrees?

and preferably summer runs from march to september.

Vaclav

Bronze Baronet of the Realm
Does anyone know if a place exists where winter isn't colder than 5 degrees celsius, and summer isn't hotter than 30 degrees?

Merritt Island almost gets there - we max at 92F so... 33.3C - but outside there's a good constant wind chill so basically feels that all the time. And "summer" pretty much runs Mar to Nov. The cold months get to around 50ish (10C) on a bad nights for a week or two of Feb or so. Literally for this area they label it as "Endless Summer" as a nickname for a reason.

I've heard Asheville is amazingly temperate as well.

Borzak

Bronze Baron of the Realm
lol, you couldn't pay me a million bucks to move to California. It's a great place to visit but after a week I'm ready to get the fuck out.

About Austin -- TBH, and I'm not kidding, its all the fucking people from California moving here selling their 3 bedroom 2 bathroom 1000sq ft shack for $900k, and then moving to Austin and saying "OMG I can buy a 5 bedroom 3 bathroom 3000 sq ft house for 250k brand new!?", buying it and then having 500k+ left over to .. buy a ferrari with, of course.

Seriously, Austin is really a bad ass place, but I've lived here since 1992, and I can tell you that Austin today is no where even remotely close to how amazing it was then. In typical Cali fashion though, they have moved in in droves, bulldozed everything cool, put urban rail here, and peppered the skyline with nothing but condo towers. It's really gone downhill from what it was, but is still considered by most to be an amazing place. But know that its still no where near as great as it was. Not even close.

I live in Bee Cave, which is basically rich whiteville much nicer than Austin itself (for my style). But when people are looking for a really cool city to move to, Austin is still pretty nice overall.
Both of the cars I mentioned above the ferrari and maserati had CA plates. About 1/3 of our office is recently from CA when they shut down that office. They are in the same boat. OMG I took a massive pay cut and can buy a 6 bedroom house now.

They really freak when upper management gets together once a month when we leve at 11 and go shoot at the gun range 4-5 miles away. I'm upper management, but I think they started it to piss off the people from CA lol.

One of them talked about how pleased he was he could rent a place for a year while he looked to buy a house for ONLY $3,000/month.

I live out in the hill country, but for a comparison close to where I work which is closer to New Braunsfel $3k a month gets you 3,000 square feet, a pool, and 5 acres. 4 car garage, and an extra shop etc...

I knew it was going to go downhill when a number of years ago I went to a christmas party at my girlfriend's sisters house. Her husband made his money early on in Dell with some legal stuff. They lived ON lake Travis.

I didn't know. I looked up how much the house 3 houses down cost. It was $12 million. Ok then.

Quineloe

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
Summer here really sucks. It's either rainy and cold, or the temperature goes all the way through the roof so you don't want to do anything either. yesterday we had 40.3? Celsius (104 Fahrenheit)

and that barely lasts 2 months.

Jorren

Maximum Derek
<Bronze Donator>
Bee Cave and Hill Country are very nice places. When I first moved here I was living up around 620/2222 and it was gorgeous. Area has changed a lot, but still nice (that HEB is MILF heaven). Lived off SW Parkway for a bit, that was nice too. Living SE currently and while it is close to DT I want to /wrist sometimes. There is nothing around here, and apparently it is so ghetto places will not deliver here.

Edit to add: That Cedar Fever in winter though...

Antarius

Lord Nagafen Raider
I've traveled to both Raleigh and Boulder before (cheap vacations)... Obviously I don't have the experience of living in either place, but I think both places would fit your criteria. I'd definitely choose Boulder though, for the skiing and the view. Raleigh for sure would have better winters, but still, it's not like you'll want to spend time outside when it's 40 degrees in NC or during an ice storm... In boulder you'll get freak beautiful 65 degrees and sunny days in the middle of winter where it'll be hot enough to where you don't need a jacket, but you can still go up into the mountains for 30 degree weather.

Dyvim

Bronze Knight of the Realm
Dont think you would of had enough percocets to go around for all of them.
They should put out a new stat, that takes SDs formerly uncredited drug trafficking into account.
Real estate prices would be dropping faster than a formal on prom night.

Slaythe

<Bronze Donator>
Enjoy the SLO comments earlier in this thread. That's the city I hope to retire in. It's clean with a small beach town atmosphere but with activity thanks to the college and property ends up being a little more reasonable since you're inland a little bit. Still only 15 minutes or so from the ocean and there are beaches around there that aren't total tourist attractions.

Truth is I'll probably live my whole life in MN, but I would really love to settle in SLO at some point. I really love that town.

Arden

Blackwing Lair Raider

Pretty much anywhere with a Mediterranean climate- i.e. southern Cal, Western Australia, South Africa, the southwestern coast of South America, and (of course) the area around the actual Mediterranean.

Having briefly lived in one of these climates I'll say you really can't overestimate how great it is to have this type of weather year-round. Of course it's no coincidence most of these areas are very expensive places to live. Here's a map:
rrr_img_106113.jpg

Alex

Still a Music Elitist
Spain is not expensive though. That place is vacation heaven. I would consider expatriating there.

I'll back up some of the SLO comments as well. I have a good friend who lives in Paso Robles (about 30 miles north of SLO) and I love visiting the area. As said, the beach towns there aren't really close to anything touristy outside of Pismo Beach so they tend to be very laid back and non-busy. Definitely a slower paced life and has "less" going on than up here, but the pros are very good pros.

Big Phoenix

Pronouns: zie/zhem/zer
<Gold Donor>
Pretty much anywhere with a Mediterranean climate- i.e. southern Cal, Western Australia, South Africa, the southwestern coast of South America, and (of course) the area around the actual Mediterranean.

Having briefly lived in one of these climates I'll say you really can't overestimate how great it is to have this type of weather year-round. Of course it's no coincidence most of these areas are very expensive places to live. Here's a map:
rrr_img_106113.jpg
Its overrated. If youre a couple miles inland or behind mountains/hills you dont really live in a mediterranean climate. Pretty much once you dont have the ocean in sight it gets to 90-100 degrees easily.

Oldbased

> Than U
I'm seriously considering moving if I get well enough to feel like I may have some lifespan left to a place where it is roughly 20-30 for lows and 60's for highs year around. It needs to be coastal literally for I hate humidity even more than temperatures and away from large populations( like 50-100k max in 15 miles ).
My parents looking to finally retire are currently in Florida looking for a condo or such to retire in and told me there is places up and down the coast tourists never see lined with trailers/perm mobile homes that are cheap as hell.
I think that may be too warm for me but it shocks me you can get a place literally on the coast looking out on the ocean for $500 a month.
I've always rented decent housing and stuff but I don't think I would even care if it was a mobile/trailer home. I would be working, out on the beach or sleeping 99% of the time anyways.

Tenks

Bronze Knight of the Realm
Yeah according to that map Ohio is right in the middle of Medditerain climate and the summers here are like being blanketed by a sweaty scrotum and winters are so cold your nipples cut glass