Best place to live

TJT

Mr. Poopybutthole
<Gold Donor>
Yeah, well I grew up on the coast like that. Maybe I'm just overly fond of it.

Dandain

Trakanon Raider
Yeah I checked out Boise after some people here mentioned it. Pretty solid spot it seems. Climate similar to Boulder and the city is a decent size. Tons of outdoor stuff. Very affordable.
Boise has a lot of perks, especially from an outdoor opportunity standpoint. The big negatives would potentially be the politics, schools, and cutting edge opportunity. The rest of the state is a different color than Boise, and it struggles to be purple a lot of the time. 1.5 million people total isn't many relative to the size of the state.

BrutulTM

Good, bad, I'm the guy with the gun.
<Silver Donator>
I have a good friend who just moved from Portland to Boise and considered it an upgrade. His kids actually get to see the sun on a regular basis now and you can certainly afford a lot more house without making a major commute than you could in the major west coast cities. I think it would be a bit hot there for me in the summer time but I think the winters are pretty mild for how far north it is.

lurker

Vyemm Raider
Oh yeah, I forgot. Idaho is like the number two mormon state behind Utah right?
Yeah. Fuckin' Mormons. You know how you recognize Mormon kids? They're the ones that call you "sir", and say shit like "please" and "thank you" and hold the door for you. Fuckin' Mormons!

Dandain

Trakanon Raider
Idaho is at least 50% Mormon, and also has quite the growing Hispanic minority. We provide gems such as these. The politics are libertarian style Red. If I had kids or planned to have kids the education system is really shitty. Certainly with enough money there has to be a private school solution in Boise, but there is nothing progressive here when it comes to teaching. Tech companies have told they state they would come here, if the workforce was capable.

BrutulTM

<Silver Donator>
Mormons are actually pretty nice to have around. There may be some political shit you don't agree with, but they are almost all productive members of society who have good families and their children will not be breaking into your house or selling drugs to your children. There are a lot worse people to live around than Mormons.

AngryGerbil

Poet Warrior
<Donor>
Mormons are actually pretty nice to have around. There may be some political shit you don't agree with, but they are almost all productive members of society who have good families and their children will not be breaking into your house or selling drugs to your children. There are a lot worse people to live around than Mormons.
They may be clean and industrious, but they are about as intellectually alive as a doorknob. If that's what you want to live next to, by all means, go for it.

BrutulTM

<Silver Donator>
They may be clean and industrious, but they are about as intellectually alive as a doorknob. If that's what you want to live next to, by all means, go for it.
We all know that sweeping generalizations are a sure sign of intellect.

Alex

Still a Music Elitist
Why are so many folks hung up on SF? I've lived in Tampa, San Diego, Las Vegas, SF, and LA, and SF ranked way below both San Diego and LA in climate. Even in the summer in SF, you had to carry around a jacket just in case, because the weather was so variable during the day. Not only that, but it was variable over a week - one day you'll get a perfect sunny day, the next you get a ton of fog, the next cold rain, etc. Personally I was happy to leave SF and move back to SoCal - weather is so much more dependable and nice all the time here.
SF weather is money. Doesn't get hot enough for AC. Doesn't get cold enough for a heater. My energy bill is always less than $40.

Jacket weather is the perfect weather. Only bummer is anything outside of that 15 degree range becomes uncomfortable after living here for a while. Which means I'm uncomfortable almost everywhere I travel.

TJT

Mr. Poopybutthole
<Gold Donor>
Yes, the $30 you save on your energy bill (I pay like $70 in Texas Summer) while paying that $3k rent. ROFL dude.

But I am fond of this weather. Oregon Coast!

Alex

Still a Music Elitist
1BR in Nob Hill. No roommates. But you know, rent control. Place probably would be close to $3k a month if I moved out.

Vaclav

Bronze Baronet of the Realm
1BR in Nob Hill. No roommates. But you know, rent control. Place probably would be close to $3k a month if I moved out.
Heh, still ludicrous for a 1BR - even in all but the most expensive parts of MD that was a 3BR at least, up through a full 2.5k sq ft house in the cheaper sections.

Here in FL that's a waterfront 2k sq ft place. [With similar weather - I'd dare say better outdoors - indoors needs dehumidifying at least though]

Tenks

Bronze Knight of the Realm
Sorry, I find it hard to believe that anywhere in Idaho represents the best place to live in the US. I'll leave out the potato jokes.
I know BodyBuilding.com is HQ'd in Boise and people rave about living and working there. Beautiful nature, decent climate, low cost of living.

TJT

Mr. Poopybutthole
<Gold Donor>
Rent in North Austin for 1BR is just under $700. Without rent control living downtown is $1800 - $2100. Austin is relatively cheap, but I feel that wont last long with the growth rate. As long as it holds anyway. If winters in Boise are not too bad, I might look into living there if tech work is reasonably available.

How many months of snow are we talking?

Arden

Blackwing Lair Raider
I know BodyBuilding.com is HQ'd in Boise and people rave about living and working there. Beautiful nature, decent climate, low cost of living.
Any of those raving people on these boards? Anyone here actually live/have lived in Boise and can confirm that the weather is great, cost of living reasonable, friendly/progressive people, lots of things to do, etc?

I mean, all that stuff makes it seem like "the new, less expensive Boulder". If that's the case, I'd be all about it.