Better Call Saul

Ossoi

Tranny Chaser
I probably would have appreciated this more if I'd watched Breaking Bad. Did saul have a big part in it? i always thought he was a supporting character.

WTF WHY WOULD YOU NOT WATCH BB FIRST?

It's like watching the prequels before the OT - sure, that is chronologically how they could be watched, but doing so diminishes the power of the twist in TESB and you have no idea who or what Darth Vader becomes.

Likewise, BCS is a similar story of Jimmy's evolution into Saul, with the full extent of the Saul persona being portrayed in BB

This is almost peak TV forum asshat, only beaten by Lachius arguing over multiple pages that The Wire was woke

Hoss

Make America's Team Great Again
<Gold Donor>
You can still go watch it. Not like there's much better to watch.

Yeah, probably will. I considered stopping the last episode of BCS and binging BB first. But I aint got that kinda time. If I start watching BB now I'll probably be nibbling away at it for at least a year. You're right though, the only old series I'm currently working my through is American Horror Story, and I'm not always in the mood for horror.

WTF WHY WOULD YOU NOT WATCH BB FIRST?

Because the whole premise was absolutely retarded and didn't interest me at all. High school teacher starts making meth. Talk about a fucking snore fest. What drew me to BCS was the conman. I like conman shit. I don't care much for drug cartel shit. I was initially interested because I knew Cranston from Malcolm in the Middle and I thought it might be funny. But no clip I ever saw from the show made it look interesting.

• 1WTF
  • 1Cringe
  • 1Picard
Reactions: 2 users

Ossoi

Tranny Chaser
Because the whole premise was absolutely retarded and didn't interest me at all. High school teacher starts making meth. Talk about a fucking snore fest. What drew me to BCS was the conman. I like conman shit. I don't care much for drug cartel shit. I was initially interested because I knew Cranston from Malcolm in the Middle and I thought it might be funny. But no clip I ever saw from the show made it look interesting.

Surely there was sufficient time between bcs seasons to watch breaking bad LMAO

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Hoss

<Gold Donor>
Surely there was sufficient time between bcs seasons to watch breaking bad LMAO

But there was no need to before the final episode. Other than a few things here and there I never had the feeling that I was missing anything by not seeing BB. You guys filled me in on who the big players were from BB. BCS stands on it's own.

• 2WTF
Reactions: 1 users

Chris

Potato del Grande
Because the whole premise was absolutely retarded and didn't interest me at all. High school teacher starts making meth. Talk about a fucking snore fest.
This must be the least correct statement you have made in your entire life.

If you like Better Call Saul, you are going to love Breaking Bad. It's exactly the same style and most of it has Jimmy being peak Saul Goodman.

spronk

FPS noob
pro tip to watch/rewatch breaking bad: anytime skyler is on screen or anyone is in the hospital, fast forward right past that scene. I rewatched recently and there are a lot of shit scenes in 1 & 2. The show doesn't really start cooking (HA) until season 3.

I don't think I'd ever rewatch better call saul though, I'm not sure I could go through all the Chuck stuff again. Appreciate the actor and the impact it has on Jimmy/Saul, but its not fun TV.

• 3Like

Ossoi

Tranny Chaser

If you like Better Call Saul, you are going to love Breaking Bad. It's exactly the same style and most of it has Jimmy being peak Saul Goodman.

The irony of lambasting his statement with one more wrong

Bcs is not the same style at all. It's slow paced character development over more seasons than breaking bad. Breaking bad had way more action and set pieces etc

• 3Like
  • 1Dislike
Reactions: 3 users

Burns

Golden Baronet of the Realm
pro tip to watch/rewatch breaking bad: anytime skyler is on screen or anyone is in the hospital, fast forward right past that scene. I rewatched recently and there are a lot of shit scenes in 1 & 2. The show doesn't really start cooking (HA) until season 3.
For the first watch that's a terrible idea. Skyler plays a part for why the story plays out like it does, you cant just skip it all and still get the whole picture of Walter White. Her reactions seem reasonable for a very moral person who thought they also marred a moral person.

I equate Skyler to someone that is very religiously moral, and sees her husband as damning her family to literal hell. Trying to depict her in the same mindset, without using religion made her a more complicated character and allowed for more options in the writers room.

• 1Like
  • 1Worf

Ossoi

Tranny Chaser
I equate Skyler to someone that is very religiously moral, and sees her husband as damning her family to literal hell. Trying to depict her in the same mindset, without using religion made her a more complicated character and allowed for more options in the writers room.

Anyone that complains about Skyler is an idiot who doesn't understand how tv works. Of course you're explaining this to spronk spronk

• 1Like

Hoss

<Gold Donor>

I'm sure it speaks to you because you're a high school maths teacher dying of monkey pox who is using his maths skill to solve blockchains by hand so his family is taken care of. But that's just you and your fantasy. I'm a real person who knows high school teachers are useless.

• 3Worf
  • 1Double Worf
Reactions: 3 users

Ambiturner

Ssraeszha Raider
For the first watch that's a terrible idea. Skyler plays a part for why the story plays out like it does, you cant just skip it all and still get the whole picture of Walter White. Her reactions seem reasonable for a very moral person who thought they also marred a moral person.

Regardless of her motivations, skipping all someone's scenes because they're an unlikeable cunt is a pretty terrible take.

Might as well skip all Hector's scenes except 1 because he's an asshole, and Tuco's a lunatic so SKIP, and don't get me started on how annoying Marie is SKIP SKIP SKIP

• 2Worf
  • 1Like

Ambiturner

Ssraeszha Raider
I'm sure it speaks to you because you're a high school maths teacher dying of monkey pox who is using his maths skill to solve blockchains by hand so his family is taken care of. But that's just you and your fantasy. I'm a real person who knows high school teachers are useless.

It's Chris Chris what do you expect? It's not wrong that breaking it down as "teacher cooks meth" can sound boring.

What's wrong is that it goes so far beyond that almost immediately.

It's also the same sort of style as Better Call Saul, but with less of the "slow" scenes that have grown on me as great storytelling and a lot more of the intense holy shit scenes like Nacho' death/Gus vs Lalo/Hamlin's death/ etc.

• 2Like

Juvarisx

Florida
For the first timer just do it as it came out so BB -> El Camino -> BCS

After seeing it all I could one day do a rewatch doing BCS stopping at Fun and Games -> Breaking Bad -> El Camino -> Nippy to Saul Gone but its not necessary. As a bonus though you really get the full Mike story arc in order, which is a really interesting part of the show (i also loved his Time Travel answer in Saul Gone)

I also don't advocate skipping Skylar. Its interesting that the same person also would say they can't stand Chuck. They both were the foil to the protagonists and you could really hate both but they were also both dead on the money about Walt and Jimmy that you can see their point real clearly on rewatches. So many people at first compared Skylar to Kim but the better comparison was def Chuck and when Chuck exited and Kim took his place she played along like everyone wanted Skylar to do but it blew up in her face and she did the same thing Skylar did anyways.

Last edited:
  • 2Like

Hoss

<Gold Donor>
unlikeable cunt
unless she's ugly there's no way I would skip the scenes anyway.

My dismissal of BB reminds me of a teacher I had who wouldn't let her kids watch Duke of Hazzard because it's a show about felons on probation blatantly disrespecting the law. Eventually someone got her to watch a few episodes and she changed her tune. Maybe BB will be like that. All I know is that I skipped it because it sounded stupid.

Animosity

Bronze Baronet of the Realm
You could make any show or movie sound dumb with a dumbed down sentence summarizing the plot.

• 2Worf
  • 1Solidarity

Chris

Potato del Grande
The reason for him being a high school teacher while being a brilliant chemist is a very important plot point.

It's actually Walt's regret from the last episode of BCS when he and Saul are both in the same safehouse waiting to go into hiding. He co-founded a billion dollar company and let it go before it made any money, he feels like he was screwed out of it.

However you only heard Walt's side of that story.

Anyway you've watched The Salamancas, Don Eladio vs Gus, Mike and Saul. That's 50% of Breaking Bad so what are you waiting for?

Ossoi

Tranny Chaser
It's actually Walt's regret from the last episode of BCS when he and Saul are both in the same safehouse waiting to go into hiding. He co-founded a billion dollar company and let it go before it made any money, he feels like he was screwed out of it.

However you only heard Walt's side of that story.

He's barely scratched the surface of understanding that reference even though Walt basically told the entire story. That was a key driver for his actions in BB but of course it went over Hoss Hoss head

Chris

Potato del Grande
He's barely scratched the surface of understanding that reference even though Walt basically told the entire story. That was a key driver for his actions in BB but of course it went over Hoss Hoss head
He left out the sexy chemistry lessons with Gretchen.

Ambiturner

Ssraeszha Raider
We actually never get the whole story on what happened. Seemed like he walked away due to a pride issue possibly related to Gretchen's family?

Not sure how he twisted that into them scamming him out of the company the whole time, but maybe I'm misremembering

• 1Like