Better Call Saul

• Guest, it's time once again for the hotly contested and exciting FoH Asshat Tournament!

Go here and fill out your bracket!
    Who's been the biggest Asshat in the last year? Once again, only you can decide!

Chukzombi

Millie's Staff Member
He was pretty ballsy when he dealt with police/DEA. Talking shit to them the whole time. But no, he wasn't getting in the faces of people who were mass murderers. And the only time he was scared of Jesse was when Jesse was flipping out and put a gun in his face
this is true, he was pretty ballsy when he was using the law as his shield. if one of those cops had grabbed him by the tie and punched him in the face, he would have......... sued them. yeah

Xarpolis

Life's a Dream
Keep in mind that this show also takes place BEFORE breaking bad. At least it was supposed to take place before, I don't know if that's changed.

With that in mind, Saul will still be a baller to the usual idiots he's defending.

Chukzombi

Millie's Staff Member
Keep in mind that this show also takes place BEFORE breaking bad. At least it was supposed to take place before, I don't know if that's changed.

With that in mind, Saul will still be a baller to the usual idiots he's defending.
yeah i dont remember the premise anymore, i know it will contain scenes pre breaking bad, but i dont know if those are going to be flashbacks for saul in whatever new life he has. i am also not sure this is going to be a straight up sitcom or a drama with funny moments, the way breaking bad started.

Ambiturner

Ssraeszha Raider
this is true, he was pretty ballsy when he was using the law as his shield. if one of those cops had grabbed him by the tie and punched him in the face, he would have......... sued them. yeah
So you don't want him to be Rambo, you just want him to take out crooked cops. You know, like the plot of the first Rambo.

iannis

Musty Nester
No way to tell how good it is until they show it. But if the people involved already signed onto a second season then it's probably good.
Gillian could shot in a box and sell two seasons. Breaking Bad was that big a deal.

We'll see, but I expect it to be pretty bad. Odenkirk is fine, but Saul? An entire hour about Saul?

We'll see.

Chukzombi

Millie's Staff Member
The first Rambo film had john rambo being sent to vietnam to take pictures of possible POW camps, did you mean First Blood?
smile.png

Seriously though, i am not expecting rambo nor do i want rambo the defense lawyer. In my head im imagining this show as a lawyer version of reno 911. I would like that because it wouldnt matter how big a wimp the star is when its all for comedic effect. I am not sure thats what this is gonna be.

supertouch_sl

shitlord
Gilliam has said that he's concerned about the show's reception. Personally, I don't think the Saul character is good for anything other than brief comedic relief.

Tuco

I got Tuco'd!
<Gold Donor>

Noodleface

A Mod Real Quick
Hopefully with the "after" part we can at least hear about what eventually happened to Walt and the family. I'm sure it will be on the news as it was national news when he was a fugitive.

Needless

Toe Sucker
but.. but walt died bro, he went to heaven and jesus forgave his sins.

Breaking Bad: Afterlife?!

Noodleface

A Mod Real Quick
but.. but walt died bro, he went to heaven and jesus forgave his sins.

Breaking Bad: Afterlife?!
First we don't know that, although I do believe he is dead. Second I mean with the whole Skyler legal trouble, Walt's money bags, how the media portrayed Walt, etc.

Tuco

I got Tuco'd!
<Gold Donor>
Meh who cares about Walt's story. I hope to never see Skylar or Breakfast again.

Chukzombi

Millie's Staff Member
'Better Call Saul': New photos, details from 'Breaking Bad' spin-off | Inside TV | EW.com

The producers of Better Call Saul are answering some questions about the hotly anticipated Breaking Bad spin-off prequel, and AMC is releasing some new photos. Writer-producers Vince Gilligan and Peter Gould took questions from reporters at the Television Critics Association's press tour in Beverly Hills on Friday. Here's what we learned:
1. The series regulars and their confirmed character names joining star Bob Odenkirk: Jonathan Banks (Breaking Bad) as "fixer" Mike Erhmantraut, Michael McKean (This is Spinal Tap) as Chuck, Rhea Seehorn (Franklin & Bash) as Kim, Patrick Fabian (Grey's Anatomy) as Hamlin and Michael Mando (Orphan Black) as Nacho.

2. Better Call Saul is set in 2002 - six years before Saul (Odenkirk) meets Walter White (Bryan Cranston) in Breaking Bad. Funny enough, that the events in Breaking Bad starting in 2008 is also new information, Gilligan said, noting that the original show never specified what year it took place. "I hesitate to say it, but it is indeed a period piece," Gilligan said.

3. Yet the show will definitely jump around in time, as has been widely reported. "I think the best way to answer this and not get yelled at is you saw from Breaking Bad that we like non-linear storytelling and jumping around in time," Gilligan said. "I would point you in the that direction, that anything that's possible in Breaking Bad is possible in Better Call Saul."
GET MORE EW: Subscribe to the magazine for only 33? an issue!

4. Saul Goodman's name in Better Call Saul is not yet Saul Goodman. When we meet Odenkirk's character, he's actually known as Jimmy McGill, a small-time lawyer hustling to make ends meet and working with Mike. The series will track Jimmy's transformation into Saul Goodman.

5. McKean (photo below) plays Goodman's brother. "So we have these two comedy legends working together," Gould noted.

6. The show will not copy Breaking Bad's neo-Western visual style. "Peter came with an idea book of frame grabs from classic movies, like The Conformist, we talked a lot about Kubrick," Gilligan said. "We're doing our damndest to make it as different as possible. It's important that this not look like a carbon copy of Breaking Bad."

7. Walter White will only show up if it makes sense: "If it makes sense we'll do it, if it doesn't make sense we won't," Gilligan said. "I'd love to have him as a director . character wise, who knows? Maybe there's a way to do it."

8. There's a chance fan-favorite villain Gus Fring (Giancarlo Esposito) could return: "There's always a chance, yeah," Gilligan said. Added Gould: "These are all characters we love and with Gus there is so much more to say about that character, and we certainly love Giancarlo. Having said that, we're trying to make something that stands on its own that has an entertainment value that's not just seeing a series of old favorites. It's not the series equivalent of a clip show. So we try to balance these things out. But I agree there's so much to be said about Gus - although in the series it always seemed to me that Saul didn't know Gus directly. He knew a guy who knew a guy."

9. The reason Better Call Saul was pushed from fall to early 2015: "I am slow as mud as a TV writer," Gilligan said. "We had a pace on Breaking Bad thanks to AMC that was deliciously stately . we have a way of doing things that's slower than most tv shows . because we want to think everything through and we think that pays dividends."

10. Some Breaking Bad directors are returning: After Gilligan's premiere, Michelle MacLaren (Game of Thrones) will direct episode 2, Terry McDonough (who directed the first Saul episode) directs episode 3 and Colin Bucksey (four episodes of Breaking Bad) helms episode four and Adam Bernstein (Fargo) has episode 5.
Better Call Saul is set to premiere in early 2015. As previously announced, Gilligan directed the first episode of the first season, which will consist of 10 epiosdes. The second season will consist of 13 episodes.

Tuco

I got Tuco'd!
<Gold Donor>
4. Saul Goodman's name in Better Call Saul is not yet Saul Goodman. When we meet Odenkirk's character, he's actually known as Jimmy McGill, a small-time lawyer hustling to make ends meet and working with Mike. The series will track Jimmy's transformation into Saul Goodman.
Sounds lame, would still rather see him post Heizenberg!