Better Call Saul

Tuco

I got Tuco'd!
<Gold Donor>
Just watched the last episode. My prediction (I don't watch the next weeks preview): I got the impression when Jimmy passed the bar exam Chuck really didn't want Jimmy working at his firm and sent Hamlin in to do his dirty work. Jimmy doesn't realize it really was his bro and blames Hamlin which is the root of their rift.

Now that Chuck has "snapped out of it" I think he is going to take Jimmy's case to HHM which is going to make Jimmy realize that he shouldn't have been holding his bro up on a pedestal this whole time because he really is just a scumbag lawyer. This (with the possible reveal that it was his brother cock-blocking him from the firm) will be the catalyst that sends Jimmy down the path of becoming Saul, an even scummier scumbag lawyer.
That's a really good idea for the direction of the show. The audience is led to believe that Jimmy's brother is this great person, good brother and incredible lawyer and that something awful will happen to him to turn Jimmy into Saul. But everything fits much better if Chuck betrays Jimmy and this is a good way to do it.

Vandyn

Blackwing Lair Raider
The biggest difference for me between Jimmy and Saul is Jimmy at this point still has some sort of a conscience. He wants to fight for the old people because he believes it's the right thing to do, whereas if this was Saul he would be fighting for the old people but only because something is in it for him. During the settlement discussion, it never occurs to Jimmy to ask for some outrageous amount like 20 million (probably more like 1-2 million) but if it was Saul he would of asked for 20 million immediately.

Lanx

<Prior Amod>
The biggest difference for me between Jimmy and Saul is Jimmy at this point still has some sort of a conscience. He wants to fight for the old people because he believes it's the right thing to do, whereas if this was Saul he would be fighting for the old people but only because something is in it for him. During the settlement discussion, it never occurs to Jimmy to ask for some outrageous amount like 20 million (probably more like 1-2 million) but if it was Saul he would of asked for 20 million immediately.
I don't think Jimmy even "knows" what to do with these figures, he is totally out of his depth here, whereas chuck is right at home. Once chuck hears they got 12 separate facilities he knows how big the company is, he's thinking it's possibly some multi state/RICO case and he has to hurt them now.

Jimmy has only really dealt person to person, against corporations, he has zero footing here, he was doing good playing wiffle ball, now chuck is taking him to the playoffs.

Only at this point, i think there's 2 separate motives here.

At first (and currently) Jimmy wants a payoff and to help out these old ppl that were taken advantage of.

At first chuck wants to help Jimmy with his first Class Action Lawsuit and helping his brother who found a diamond in the rough. Now, he wants the BIG win, he just wants to win.

You can see the change, when they're slowly building up this case and pasting strip cuts together, chuck is guiding jimmy. Now after he spewed out 20M, he's telling Jimmy what to do, big difference.

Tuco

I got Tuco'd!
<Gold Donor>
I think Chuck is enticed by more than just the money or the case. I think he's also motivated by the fact that he's feeling better and has been feeling better since he was tazed. The case just came at an opportune time for him and helped accelerate this process to the point that he realized the whole thing was bullshit he overcame in the last episode (at least that's what I think happened rather than it coming back in force).
Vandyn_sl said:
I agree that Jimmy has a consience in the last few episodes, as evidence by him cutting that old lady some slack and generally being selfless in his pursuit of the case. But IMO that's just the same character fluctuating between levels of decency the same way he always has and always does for the rest of the character's life.

Probably the worst thing I can think of Saul having done is capitalize on the airline disaster, and I could see him jumping from that to helping old ladies do their wills if his business dried up. Both the Saul/Jimmy characters are opportunity driven, they just have different opportunities presented to them.

Tuco

I got Tuco'd!
<Gold Donor>
Also Tuco was super on point in the little bit of the scenes he was in. Does anyone else feel like Raymond Cruz ad libbed the scene of him breaking the dudes' legs?

Lanx

<Prior Amod>
Probably the worst thing I can think of Saul having done is capitalize on the airline disaster, and I could see him jumping from that to helping old ladies do their wills if his business dried up.
I think the first time we see Saul in BB, he's lost every shred of humanity, to the point that Jessie and Walt really want to help out Badger and Saul is like, he's gonna talk, the DEA are going to give him a good deal, you sure you don't want to (shanking motion).

Royal

Connoisseur of Exotic Pictures
I think the first time we see Saul in BB, he's lost every shred of humanity, to the point that Jessie and Walt really want to help out Badger and Saul is like, he's gonna talk, the DEA are going to give him a good deal, you sure you don't want to (shanking motion).
That's the same scene that came to my mind when thinking of Saul at his basest (I mentioned it earlier). He asks, "Why don't you just kill Badger?".

opiate82

Bronze Squire
I don't get the feeling that Jimmy HAS a conscience more-so that he is TRYING to have a conscience. Again I'd tie it back to him looking up to his brother. We've seen plenty of Slippin' Jimmy even during this shows present day.

Tuco

I got Tuco'd!
<Gold Donor>
The scene where he says that he's being held at gunpoint and his life is being threatened. I would call it more desperation than being evil.

https://www.facebook.com/video.php?v=232876796836693
That's true, but I don't think Jimmy would've just come up with that off the cuff like Saul did. Jimmy might be complicit with the death of someone like that, but not so easily and not without great heart ache.

Did BB ever go into detail who Saul was talking about in that video?

Also it's great how well Saul conveyed the idea that he's been giving legal advice to criminals while being handcuffed and having a gun pointed to his head many times before.

Nester

Vyemm Raider
I disagree.

Jimmy is like a born again christian lawyer when he starts out, he dots his i's and crosses his t's and tries to fight for the old ppl and at court for whoever needs a lawyer.He's really trying to be on the up and up, he's a frigging good natured lawyer, a myth, a unicorn.

While Saul is epitome of opportunity. Remember in BB, he found Walt (b4 he was known as the guy that could get you out of anything, crazy8 used him, so naturally jesse wanted to use him for badger), but Saul used mike to track down Walt and basically force him to be his consigliere. (he shows up at the school, what's Walt gonna say? no)

No, the greatest treat that BCS can do for us is to really show how Jimmy becomes Saul and evil, in the legal sense.
You mean like the time Jimmy paid 2 chumps to jump infront of a car to get a client?

Gravel

Mr. Poopybutthole
This was the first episode where I'm kind of disappointed that this is a spin off show. Since we know who Jimmy becomes, we know that this case isn't a big break. And that's led to us all speculating that someone close to him (Kim or Chuck) ends up screwing him big time. That's really unfortunate, and I wish we didn't know the future.

Hoss

Make America's Team Great Again
<Gold Donor>
It doesn't sound like he was destitute in BB, so you don't really know how this case turns out. Even if this thing came out beautifully and he was lauded as a local hero (again), that doesn't mean he can't turn into saul. Winning this case might well prove to him that it's not worth it to do the right thing when you can work for criminals and make easy money.

Would BB Saul have saved those skater punks from tuco?

Chukzombi

Millie's Staff Member
It doesn't sound like he was destitute in BB, so you don't really know how this case turns out. Even if this thing came out beautifully and he was lauded as a local hero (again), that doesn't mean he can't turn into saul. Winning this case might well prove to him that it's not worth it to do the right thing when you can work for criminals and make easy money.

Would BB Saul have saved those skater punks from tuco?
yeah, saul was an opportunist, but not a psycho. im liking the "chuck betrays jimmy" theory. so chuck pays for the copies on his corporate password, which means the case is being financially backed by HHM(H&M?) , which it looks like will cause some kind of dispute on who the case belongs to.

i dont think chuck is just another scumbag lawyer, if he is, then maybe thats when he is dealing with people outside his family. chuck got jimmy to change his ways from slippin jimmy. chuck bailed out jimmy and was genuinely concerrned about him. his electro phobia didnt change his feelings for his brother. and saul looks up to chuck, he could have screwed people over many times without chuck finding out, but he is doing the right thing because thats what he thinks chuck would do. what happens next with this case is very crucial in how jimmy really sees chuck.

Lanx

<Prior Amod>
can someone guesstimate the age difference between those 2? really seems like father/son than bro/bro.

opiate82

Bronze Squire
When I say Chuck is a "scumbag" lawyer I don't mean in the same sense that Saul is/will become. I meant more along the lines of the "all lawyers are scumbags" type of thing. Jimmy will learn the hard way that Chuck really only cares about himself/his-firm/getting-his-money/his-ego or a combination of those things type of deal.

Also I do think Kim is going to factor into the downfall of Jimmy as well but not sure if as a spurned lover or law partner or what not.

Lanx

<Prior Amod>
Did BB ever go into detail who Saul was talking about in that video?
just a matter of who?

yea this was when he hired jimmy in n out, the guy goes to jail for a living, so he shaved his head and pretended to be walt, they had to give 50k to saul and 30k to jimmy and 1lb of meth for the sting.

this is also where badger sits in the wrong park bench cuz someone also looked like walt but wasn't jimmy and walt had to drive to the sting van and distract them.