Better Call Saul

a_skeleton_03

<Banned>
hmm, they made a point to have "the tape was destroyed" stricken and placed "personal property destroyed" in its stead. if they were going for a entrapment thing wouldnt they want mention of the tape included?
You can't let them know that's what you want though. It has to be all their idea.

I have a feeling the tape might be swapped or something by Mike.

Ambiturner

Ssraeszha Raider
It's all speculation... but really nothing would be more damning than Chuck's ex wife showing up as a character witness against his competency. That whole "bingo" thing was getting Chuck to admit that he had a second tape---in fact Chuck admitted that the tape Jimmy destroyed was a DUPLICATE, which confirms that Chuck premeditated to ENTRAP Jimmy.

No idea how that would work with a bar hearing full of Chuck's old bros, but if they get Chuck's ex-wife to testify how batshit he is? Fun idea anyway.

There's no way everyone didn't already know there was a backup tape. I'm guessing they're either planning something with the tape, or they just want Chuck to think that.

I wouldn't be surprised if Chuck's wife shows up or she plays some role, but having Mike steal her number as a means of getting ahold of her wouldn't make any sense. They know who she is so there's 100 different ways of getting in contact with her, stealing her contact information from Chuck is needlessly convoluted.

Also, what Chuck did is in no way entrapment.

Chukzombi

Millie's Staff Member
There's no way everyone didn't already know there was a backup tape. I'm guessing they're either planning something with the tape, or they just want Chuck to think that.

I wouldn't be surprised if Chuck's wife shows up or she plays some role, but having Mike steal her number as a means of getting ahold of her wouldn't make any sense. They know who she is so there's 100 different ways of getting in contact with her, stealing her contact information from Chuck is needlessly convoluted.

yeah, but its some kind of fuckery to set up jimmy, i hink that paper has something to do with the lady doctor, maybe a scrip for some crazy pills or something she couldnt divulge due to doctor/patient privilege.

Abefroman

Naxxramas 1.0 Raider
I'm positive that Kim taped Chuck saying that he actually has the original and not the copy. You could see Howard give him an Oh shit look. So since he destroyed a copy and not the original he didn't actually destroy evidence. Then Saul starts showing how bat shit crazy Chuck is to explain why he was just saying shit to calm him down, with the pictures and whatever ties in to what's on the paper that Mike got from Chucks address book. Also in the confession it says peice of personal property or something and not cassette tape so Saul can just say yah it was the door.

The next episode is also called Chicanery which I think fits the whole not destroying evidence angle.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Lanx

<Prior Amod>
I want the surprise witness to be Ernesto.

ppl be like,

"lemme get this straight, you're a mail boy, you deliver mail"

Ernesto: "yup"

"but, you also deliver canned food and foil blankets to Mr. Crazy here?"

"and why were you let go?"

Ernesto: "maybe cuz i'm black?, they never gave me a real reason"

• 1Like
  • 1Solidarity
Reactions: 1 users

Chukzombi

Millie's Staff Member
I want the surprise witness to be Ernesto.

ppl be like,

"lemme get this straight, you're a mail boy, you deliver mail"

"but, you also deliver canned food and foil blankets to Mr. Crazy here?"

"and why were you let go?"

Ernesto: "maybe cuz i'm black?, they never gave me a real reason"
thats a good scenario, maybe we shouldnt speculate so much, i think we are getting our hopes up to be disappointed with their actual strategy or if we guessed it right then we kind of spoiled it for ourselves. not trying to shit on the cool theorycrafting we got going here, but afterwards it inevitably leads to people saying , ahh shit thats dumb why didnt they do this or do that?

Enzee

Trakanon Raider
oh, I almost forgot about Ernesto's role in all this. He could also be a witness, for sure. He's so honest he'll end up telling everything that condemns Chuck in the end, without even meaning to. "yes, I would bring him ice every day because Mr. Mcgill told me the electrical waves from a freezer would fry his brain and I didn't want that to happen to him.."

Also, there is going to be some kind of loophole between the fact the copy was destroyed and the changing of the wording, for sure. They focused on 'damaged' instead of destroyed so they made them think that was the part they were fighting over, rather then the 'evidence/personal property' part.

I'm starting to guess maybe Jimmy or Chuck's ex-wife originally bought the cassette recorder and a bunch of blank cassettes, which means it wasn't 'Chuck's' personal property at all. Or, some other similar loophole. He'll also act like he was simply playing along with Chuck's delusions up until this point, and have a mountain of evidence showing this is basically all just due to Chuck being crazy with a made up vendetta against his brother.

• 2Like

Lanx

<Prior Amod>
He'll also act like he was simply playing along with Chuck's delusions up until this point, and have a mountain of evidence showing this is basically all just due to Chuck being crazy with a made up vendetta against his brother.
Yup, he basically put this as evidence by acquiescing to the judge and showing his defeatist attitude and apologetic nature when that arbitrator???/judge asked for an apology.

DickTrickle

Definitely NOT Furor Planedefiler
Thank you Abe and Enzee for theorycrafting based on the actual events that happened in the episode.

TJT

Mr. Poopybutthole
<Gold Donor>
oh, I almost forgot about Ernesto's role in all this. He could also be a witness, for sure. He's so honest he'll end up telling everything that condemns Chuck in the end, without even meaning to. "yes, I would bring him ice every day because Mr. Mcgill told me the electrical waves from a freezer would fry his brain and I didn't want that to happen to him.."

Also, there is going to be some kind of loophole between the fact the copy was destroyed and the changing of the wording, for sure. They focused on 'damaged' instead of destroyed so they made them think that was the part they were fighting over, rather then the 'evidence/personal property' part.

I'm starting to guess maybe Jimmy or Chuck's ex-wife originally bought the cassette recorder and a bunch of blank cassettes, which means it wasn't 'Chuck's' personal property at all. Or, some other similar loophole. He'll also act like he was simply playing along with Chuck's delusions up until this point, and have a mountain of evidence showing this is basically all just due to Chuck being crazy with a made up vendetta against his brother.

I think it's going to b a pretty epic Coup de Grace and a turning point for Jimmy to prove to himself and Chuck that he is fully capable of bending a court to his will.

That he is just as good at the game as Chuck is. He just has to play it his way.

Chukzombi

Millie's Staff Member
I think it's going to b a pretty epic Coup de Grace and a turning point for Jimmy to prove to himself and Chuck that he is fully capable of bending a court to his will.

That he is just as good at the game as Chuck is. He just has to play it his way.
i dont think chuck is going to be too impressed towards jimmy if he ends up losing his own license to practice law and gets chucked off to the booby hatch. i also imagine the Mcgill lawfirm will be none too happy about that either.

Hoss

Make America's Team Great Again
<Gold Donor>
It's all speculation... but really nothing would be more damning than Chuck's ex wife showing up as a character witness against his competency. That whole "bingo" thing was getting Chuck to admit that he had a second tape---in fact Chuck admitted that the tape Jimmy destroyed was a DUPLICATE, which confirms that Chuck premeditated to ENTRAP Jimmy.

No idea how that would work with a bar hearing full of Chuck's old bros, but if they get Chuck's ex-wife to testify how batshit he is? Fun idea anyway.

This is where I think they're going with it. Show he's crazy, then show it was all pre-meditated and nothing more than a personal vendetta. I bet the ex wife will tell a story about how torn up chuck was that jimmy got a law license.

Ernesto also knows that jimmy was at the kinkos, doesn't he? If ernesto testifies, he might torpedo both of them.

khorum

Murder Apologist

I didn't mean entrapment in the formal legal sense, but as in Chuck set out to prepare a trap for Jimmy. No idea what else Mike could've extracted from the phone book but he handed it to jimmy on a slip of paper. If not Rebecca's contact info maybe Chuck's old therapist?

Chris

Potato del Grande
What's to stop Jimmy just pointing at an electric watch on his wrist or a pager/phone going off during the hearing and triggering Chuck? They can't reasonably dictate what kind of watch Jimmy can wear without admitting that Chuck is nuts.

khorum

Murder Apologist
I guess a counterargument is something Jimmy mentioned already: all the folks who'd be at the Bar association hearing would be Chuck's best buds. They've spent two seasons showing the lengths to which HHM and other major firms would go to accomodate Chuck's condition, so telling them about Chuck's craziness wouldn't work simply because they'd already know about it and are sympathetic to Chuck.

Abefroman

Naxxramas 1.0 Raider
I guess a counterargument is something Jimmy mentioned already: all the folks who'd be at the Bar association hearing would be Chuck's best buds. They've spent two seasons showing the lengths to which HHM and other major firms would go to accomodate Chuck's condition, so telling them about Chuck's craziness wouldn't work simply because they'd already know about it and are sympathetic to Chuck.

This hearing is stacked with all of Chucks peers and friends so this whole look how nuts chuck is because of his condition is pointless because they already know. The only way it can work is for them to prove its mental and not an actual physical condition. The way the doctor did in the hospital by showing Jimmy that the bed was on and Chuck didn't notice.

I still think it comes down to the fact that Chuck admitted Jimmy destroyed a copy and not the real evidence and somehow Dues Ex Mikeina alters the original somehow.

• 2Like

Chris

Potato del Grande
somehow Dues Ex Mikeina alters the original somehow.
Oh that's the plot of the ending of Death Note. Jimmy is going to slip his way into a bank vault and tape over the confession so that Chuck can't use it.

He'll then use the photos of the state of the house and witnesses to play it off as snapping while being a full time carer for a crazy person.

Alex

Still a Music Elitist
I'm thinking Chuck is really going to fly off the handle - maybe due to Jimmy beating him. And that's why Jimmy changes his name. The McGill name is so tarnished Jimmy has to change it.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

khorum

Murder Apologist
That's likely.

I think the unresolved story behind Chuck's divorce and his breakdown is too tantalizing for the writers to pass up tho. If anything they prolly won't wanna resolve both his divorce and his condition in one episode, but since we've actually seen Rebecca previously in the series it's likely they've been building up to having her reveal exactly how Chuck ended up that way.

Chukzombi

Millie's Staff Member
That's likely.

I think the unresolved story behind Chuck's divorce and his breakdown is too tantalizing for the writers to pass up tho. If anything they prolly won't wanna resolve both his divorce and his condition in one episode, but since we've actually seen Rebecca previously in the series it's likely they've been building up to having her reveal exactly how Chuck ended up that way.
Jimmy did reference her and she hasnt been in this season yet, so in proper TV show formula, she will likely be brought in soon for context. i dunno if those pictures were to convince the bar lawyers chuck is crazy or to convince the ex wife that chuck needs help. i think chuck is going to lose his shit completely regardless and jimmy will deeply regret doing this to him. it may even cause him to change his name because of it.