Better Call Saul

BrutulTM

Good, bad, I'm the guy with the gun.
<Silver Donator>
imo, when Saul saw that when Howard took the blame, that was Saul passing the grieving baton onto Howard. Someone has to feel sad that Chuck died, and w/ Howard presenting himself as the one that will always be the one to feel sad, Saul doesn't have to take on that responsibility anymore.

I think more than feeling sad, Jimmy was blaming himself for Chuck's suicide. Finding out what Howard did took that weight off of him.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Asshat wormie

2023 Asshat Award Winner
<Gold Donor>
Howards story made Jimmy realize that Chuck’s suicide was Jimmy’s fault. I don’t see how it can be anything else unless one forgets jimmys visit to the insurance company.

• 1Like

Deathwing

<Bronze Donator>
Yeah, that scene made no sense. What Howard said changed nothing in terms of causality except for maybe the absolute directness of it.

Asshat wormie

2023 Asshat Award Winner
<Gold Donor>
I think Jimmy wasn’t blaming himself until Howard explained about the insurance. Then he realized he did this and he snapped and turned all weird. Probably buried the thought deep inside and this is what leads to Saul.

BrutulTM

Good, bad, I'm the guy with the gun.
<Silver Donator>
Clearly I don't remember the details of last season that well.

Asshat wormie

2023 Asshat Award Winner
<Gold Donor>
Clearly I don't remember the details of last season that well.
After having his license suspended, Jimmy went to his insurance company to attempt to get a refund. While there, he found out that the insurance company also covers his brother. He then sabotages Chuck's coverage by letting the insurance company know that Chuck is bat shit insane and went all loopy at a bar hearing. This causes the insurance company to increase rates on HHM, which makes Chuck mad, which causes a fight with Howard, which leads to Howard forcing Chuck out. And that leads to Chuck's suicide.

Jimmy had no idea about Chuck's fallout with Howard until the end of last episode.

• 4Like
Reactions: 3 users

elidib

Vyemm Raider
I interpreted it asJimmy was feeling terrible and then when Howard relayed that story, Jimmy just woke up and said you can keep bearing that guilt with you, but I'm done with it, I'm gonna live my life and not let this shit drag me down because chuck cut his ties with me so I'm through feeling sorry for the bastard.

a_skeleton_03

<Banned>
I think that Jimmy thought he just died by accident or killed himself just randomly.

Knowing that it was a direct result of his action I think made him pleased.

• 2Like
Reactions: 1 users

Chukzombi

Millie's Staff Member
I think that Jimmy thought he just died by accident or killed himself just randomly.

Knowing that it was a direct result of his action I think made him pleased.
i cant decide if its that or that because Howard forced Chuck out of the law firm, the guilt Jimmy felt was transferred to Howard to feel and therefore Jimmy is off the hook.

• 1Like

a_skeleton_05

<Banned>
Jimmy is many things, but I don't know if he's sadistic enough to derive pleasure from being the cause of his brother's death. I do think he is more than capable of being delusional about his effects on other people (He leaves a trail of destruction behind him similar to Walt) and took the 'out' that Howard's part in it provided him.

• 1Like

a_skeleton_03

<Banned>
Jimmy is not a good guy, we often forget that.

His brother was not a good guy either. I would have taken great joy at that being how it went down if I was Jimmy.

• 1Like

Chukzombi

Millie's Staff Member
Jimmy is not a good guy, we often forget that.

His brother was not a good guy either. I would have taken great joy at that being how it went down if I was Jimmy.
Jimmy may take unprofessional shortcuts for his results, but he took care of his brother and his mental mishaps for years at his own cost. he lashes out in moments of anger and then regrets it later. i dunno what that makes him, it could be he transferred guilt or was happy chuck died because his plan worked better than he hoped. season just started. more tomorrow.

• 2Like
Reactions: 1 users

DickTrickle

Definitely NOT Furor Planedefiler
Definitely agree more with the idea that he felt guilty at first but knowing Howard was the actual last straw was enough, in his twisted mind, to give him some (perhaps temporary) absolution. It's like getting off on a technicality.

• 1Like

Arden

Blackwing Lair Raider
Definitely agree more with the idea that he felt guilty at first but knowing Howard was the actual last straw was enough, in his twisted mind, to give him some (perhaps temporary) absolution. It's like getting off on a technicality.

That's the only explanation that makes sense to me.

Jimmy isn't a great guy, but Chuck was his brother and he spent years taking care of him. No indication he wanted his brother to die. Jimmy was clearly very upset when he learned about Chuck's death, it's not like realizing he caused it would suddenly make him happy about it.

I think the most likely explanation is this: the identity of Jimmy McGill has been hanging from a cliff since S01. Each season, we have watched as the fingers that kept him clinging to his Jimmy identity slip away, one by one. Chuck was one of the strongest ties Jimmy had to his old identity. What we probably witnessed was the last finger slipping as Jimmy McGill falls to his death and Saul Goodman is born.

The guy that sat there stoically listening to Howard's story was Jimmy McGill. The guy that got up afterwards and cheerfully made coffee was Saul Goodman.

• 6Like
Reactions: 5 users

spronk

FPS noob
After having his license suspended, Jimmy went to his insurance company to attempt to get a refund. While there, he found out that the insurance company also covers his brother. He then sabotages Chuck's coverage by letting the insurance company know that Chuck is bat shit insane and went all loopy at a bar hearing. This causes the insurance company to increase rates on HHM, which makes Chuck mad, which causes a fight with Howard, which leads to Howard forcing Chuck out. And that leads to Chuck's suicide.

Jimmy had no idea about Chuck's fallout with Howard until the end of last episode.

thanks for the explanation, i couldn't remember either the details of last season and your explanation helps a lot

you know its a great show when we could debate for pages on what exactly that scene means at the end, pretty awesome. as much as chuck brought to the show, i'm kinda glad he is gone now because his character was a real drag on jimmie

also another Q for people who have really good memories, did Gus ask Nacho to "poison pill" Hector? It was his guy following Nacho to see what he did with the bad pills, but I can't remember if it was all part of Gus' plan to get rid of Hector or if Nacho acted on his own and now Gus has leverage on Nacho

Muurloen

Pronouns: zie/zhem/zer
Jimmy's line to Howard saying, "Well, Howard, that's just your cross to bear.", was a complete release of Jimmy's guilt onto Howard. Plain and simple.

Deathwing

<Bronze Donator>
thanks for the explanation, i couldn't remember either the details of last season and your explanation helps a lot

you know its a great show when we could debate for pages on what exactly that scene means at the end, pretty awesome. as much as chuck brought to the show, i'm kinda glad he is gone now because his character was a real drag on jimmie

also another Q for people who have really good memories, did Gus ask Nacho to "poison pill" Hector? It was his guy following Nacho to see what he did with the bad pills, but I can't remember if it was all part of Gus' plan to get rid of Hector or if Nacho acted on his own and now Gus has leverage on Nacho
Gus had no prior knowledge of Nacho's intentions. He noticed something suspicious with how Nacho was picking up the pills, so he had one of his guys tail him.

Jozu

Bronze Baronet of the Realm
Yea Nacho wanted Hector gone because he fucked with his family. Gus just wants stability and now with the head Salamanca incapacitated, he knows there will be added complexity regarding business.

This is bad, so Gus is suspicious, toward Nacho naturally, as he was basically the guy protecting Hector (or one of them).

As far as Chucks death, Jimmy felt guilty when he noticed all the electronics piled up outside of the burnt house. He definitely felt responsible once he found out about the insurance situation, but then instantly got a get out of jail free card when Howard finished telling the story and felt guilty himself.